U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,309,198 times

Advertisements

Please pray for the families of these boys. What a tragic accident
As a parent this really hits home. I'm sure that God gives parents a special strength to get thru times like this.

Please don't comment that they skipped school and were probably bad kids blah, blah, blah. I did my fair share of skipping school when I was in High School too.
Kerrville Daily Times (http://www.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=094dccd55aad5a29 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 AM

546 posts, read 1,312,449 times
I saw this story yesterday. As a parent I cant imagine losing one child...but these parents lost 2. My heart and prayers go out to them.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,145,156 times
My son and I had a long talk last night about this. You can't wrap your kids in bubble tape, but I sure wish I could sometimes. One bad decision and it's "game over" only you can't reset. Trying to drive that home to my kid before he starts driving or even scarier, gets driven around by another 16 year old.

Thoughts and prayers to the families and I hope their fellow students will learn from the tragedy.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Sending comforting thoughts to the families of all 4 young men.

I remember in high school my mom always trying to scare me about skipping school. She would say something like, "When you're doing something you are not supposed to, something bad always happens." Something always ended up happening to my friends when they played hookie. At that time, I felt like there was a invisible angel following me, telling my mom what I was doing. Brings back those memories.

I'm not a parent but my mom always talks about having a gut feeling about me, when something is about to happen. To the parents out there: listen to that gut instinct, it rarely fails.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,179,034 times
*peeks around for any rude, inappropriate comments* Wow, none here. Guess it's still early...

This is just very, very sad. I cannot imagine. Prayers for those families to get through this impossible time in their lives....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 AM

556 posts, read 1,828,851 times
We discussed this at our house the past two days as well......this is a parent's worst fear when our children begin driving and are able to give friends 'rides'....I remember the responsibility feeling almost crushing. The parents, families and friends of these four boys are in our thoughts. I cannot imagine receiving the phone call with news like this....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM

I became very close to God when my daughter started driving. She would drive her little sister to school and I would worry so bad everytime they both got into the truck together. It is a 25 mile drive to school one way.

I would never let my daughter ride with other teens when she was in hs. I would take her myself. I'm sure it didn't help her social life any, she would get soooo mad at me.

I can't stop thinking about the parents of these boys. I don't know which would be worse, getting the phone call or having to make the decision to take them off life support. It's a sad, sad situation.

Hug your kids and tell them you love them everyday!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,306,866 times
One of the kids was the nephew of a buddy of mine, so it definitely hits home.

I was so p***ed when my parents refused to let me get my license right on my 16th bday. They said I wasn't ready. I'm so glad they stood up to me though, because I was in no way ready. I honestly don't see how any 16 year old is ready. We're too stupid at that age and don't think through our actions.

Many prayers going out to those families. You just never know when it's your time.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
My 12-yr-old is already asking me if he gets to drive my Jeep when he gets old enough. He's driven it offroad and does pretty well, but the thought of his being on the street scares me to death. Not because of his driving, but simply because of how dangerous driving in general is around here.

May they rest in peace, and their families find solace...

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
One of the kids was the nephew of a buddy of mine, so it definitely hits home.

I was so p***ed when my parents refused to let me get my license right on my 16th bday. They said I wasn't ready. I'm so glad they stood up to me though, because I was in no way ready. I honestly don't see how any 16 year old is ready. We're too stupid at that age and don't think through our actions.

Many prayers going out to those families. You just never know when it's your time.
My niece was friends with the boys and it has been very hard on her as I'm sure it is for many others. Kev, your buddy is in our prayers. I can't think of anything in the world that would be worse than losing a child.

My 14 y/o (will be 15 in November) can take drivers ed now and get her permit in November. That just seems so young, she is only in the 8th grade!! I'm seriously thinking about letting her do it so she will have her permit longer and have more "driving with us" experience. But I'm still on the fence about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio