Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 13,926 times

Advertisements

Oh, I didn't realize they were section 8. Well, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Doubt it - they'd been a hellhole of the very worst of Section 8 housing for way too long.
Do you care to expand on this? Have you lived there or near it? It is not a great place to live, but I wouldn't describe it in that way.

Last edited by Steel Man; 09-16-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
My ex was a Realtor - her broker managed several of those properties, and she wouldn't go there unless I was along - and I wouldn't go unarmed. Some were better than others - but there was NO way I'd live there - an' I've lived in some dives!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
I don't know too much about the Townhomes. Yes there are Section 8 but there are those that pay the market rate due to higher incomes. We (Our Home was completed 12/99) were here before the Townhomes and to the best of my knowledge the HOA /BOD fought their existence fearing that property values would nose dive and that crime would increase. I don't think we can blsame all of the increase on the Townhomes.The one thing that I hate are the backyards of the Townhouse that back up to Military Drive. It is/ was my understanding that there was an agreement that those Folks would keep their yards up. Well we all know that is not happening. Who is kidding who.... I had an Uncle who was a Big Shot for SAHA. He said most Folks don't realize that you can have a Section 8 Family living next door to you and you would never know it. They are not only in Apartments /Townhomes /Courts, etc.

I have seen over the years where our HOA /BOD took a "too good" "our **** doesn't stink" type attitude by fighting progress around WC. As most of you know Saxonhill ended at what know is an entrance to Caracol Creek. Fence and all. Over a fight with the NSISD the road was opened thru . The reason the NSISD wanted that street opened was to elinate the need for buses due to the close proximity to Galm. *This was before Ott and Luna were built. Now I have heard from more than one source and I deal a lot with some of the top Engineering Firms here in SA that Saxonhill may be opened up as a route to Brennan High School. I wonder what stance the HOA and BOD will take if this comes to be. I hate congestion and traffic as much as the next person. I'm in it everyday. Our HOA and BOD (if this comes to be) will have to sit back and drink a tall glass of lemonade since there is no way that we can fight and win against NSISD and or progress around us.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
Those "people" in Section 8, are no different from everyone. Sad thing is that there are too many ignorant people who like to judge others just because of the actions of others and those who don't respect. Not every family who is in the Section 8 program is trashy, trouble makers, nor ghetto as one wrote down. But if that's the case the same could be said about those who are not in the Section 8 program who are trashy and trouble makers, and who think they own the property, just because they have lived there many years. I was considering moving there and I am not in the Section 8 program but to live next to ignorant people, I'd rather stay where I am at, and there are Section 8 people living here where I live, and let me tell you, they are really nice families, and they keep to themselves and are respectful. Maybe if everyone would come together and write letters to the owners of the place and ask for security or what needs to change, because all the blame cannot be put on all the section 8 families who live there. They need to kick out everyone who is commiting the crimes, and making the community bad. It can be done.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Excuse me, my friend - no one said they're "all like that" - but it IS an appropriate observation/concern to say that in many cases the observations that have been made are quite accurate. I've been around way too many places with subsidized housing to ever consider calling them "safe" or "well-kept". To be sure - some of the folks are absolutely the salt of the earth, but if they can't keep a decent home don't expect others to be happy to see them move in - or anyone else that won't maintain the appearance of the place they live!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,638 times
I am from Kansas city Mo and for those that don't know, it has one of the highest crime rates in America so when someone from Texas say high crime, I cringe, because they would NOT have survived where I come from. This CRIME you mention doesn't only come from sec 8 tenants , it's actually from drugs and they are EVERYWHERE and in every section of town to some degree and any drama, I have found if you don't consort with the people you know are doing wrong things, your drama will drop 75%. I'm sure from the lovely teenagers from WC may be responsible for some of the crime with meth and all the drugs no one wants to bring up. I'd like some info on cleanliness, pests infestations and not someone's opinion who doesn't want certain people in their area. Keep running and maybe you'll find a place where those people don't exist! good luck with that. Can anyone please tell me how the maintenance handles things and are there bugs. things that matter. I could care less about how surrounding neighborhoods went down as older people die, their relatives rent out the houses. Wow Ignorance is bliss, I guess

Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,638 times
Not many seem to understand that handicapped and elderly also get section 8. I'm sure every one has has some type of help in their lifetime, why can't we just pay it forward and understand if some could afford something else i am sure they would.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM

What wonderful insight and gripping comments - you have phenomenal powers of observation!

Just a shame ya didn't notice that you were commenting on a 5 year-old thread.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio