Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,288 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for several years and before this thread, I wasn't aware of the sprinkler time restriction being in effect even when we are not in "water restrictions". The stages are normally advertised well but the year-round part isn't. So actually, we ALWAYS have water restrictions in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 10:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I've lived here for several years and before this thread, I wasn't aware of the sprinkler time restriction being in effect even when we are not in "water restrictions". The stages are normally advertised well but the year-round part isn't. So actually, we ALWAYS have water restrictions in effect.

Aren't the watering restrictions (times, days, etc) printed on your bill?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:24 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,565 times
Check the websites. There are constant restrictions on what they call water waste.

It means no runoff, no watering with automatic systems during the day, No watering after adequate rainfalls, etc.

I do not think the day of the week restrictions come up till stage one.

Also, my best advise is to go in soon and find out what you are being charged with and the date of the incident. You cannot defend yourself if you walk in planning to prove it was the homebuilder that was watering in the day and then find out you are being charged for water waste with runnoff from just a couple of months ago. You really need to take a part of a day to find out what they want you for so you can figure out if you can fight it.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,005 times
How often should I be watering my lawn? When we moved in, the automatic sprinkler system was set by the builder to water 3 days a week. Is that too often?

What about run-off from rinsing my car off after washing it? I had a bunch of water go down the drive-way and down the street. Will I get a violation for something like that also? Seems a bit absurd to me, but whatever.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM

28 posts, read 79,098 times
So - quick update:

I've been told by Legal not to bother wasting my time going to the court on my husband's behalf as the POA document they (Legal) provided us with does not authorise me to act on his behalf in legal matters of this nature. So, this means the court also won't release details of the case to me.

The First Sergeant provided me with a memo to send in with a copy of his deployment orders, providing he's not here and requesting a new court date. They'll either ignore it, in which case there's nothing I can do anyway, or they'll send a new date. I guess we'll see!

Whatever the details of the case, it's going to be hard to defend or answer so long after the event.....

Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
An "environmental court"? Sounds like some kangaroo event.

How do you prove three months ago you did not violate the watering restrictions?

Seems like a fine mill to me because of a fiscal shortfall by the city. I would ask for a jury trial.
That and the money they can suck out of you wallet....

It's more about the money they can collect....

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
frankly if your name is on the mortgage/deed then I don't see why they would not talk to you whether you have power of attorney or not
if you know the court a phone call explaining the situation could get information at least--if not redress of the issue...
because IF you don't know what the violation was for, how can you prevent getting cited again...
and I thought you have to be given notification of violation---at the time--something they left at your house proving they had been there to assess the situation...
********** so ok--read that notification may not be required at time of discovery--

Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
How often should I be watering my lawn? When we moved in, the automatic sprinkler system was set by the builder to water 3 days a week. Is that too often?

What about run-off from rinsing my car off after washing it? I had a bunch of water go down the drive-way and down the street. Will I get a violation for something like that also? Seems a bit absurd to me, but whatever.
Visit www.saws.org and on the Conservation Page sign up for the Water Saver Newsletter. They give watering info based on the variety of grass and current rainfall events.

When you do water do everything possible to prevent water from flowing down the street. That will put you in violation and a possible citation.

As far as washing your car just make sure you have a nozzle on the hose to prevent excessive runoff. SAWS does expect there to be runoff from washing our cars. You'll be fine.

If we go into the various stages then as you know watering days will be implemented based on your address. I know that is a long way coming.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That and the money they can suck out of you wallet....

It's more about the money they can collect....
Or, it's the other side of the issue, which is that the water supply in this area is already taxed beyond its capabilities and these "restrictions"--which are more common sense than anything--are in place to preserve a valuable natural resource that all of our lives depend on!

Yes, there are a lot of other violators out there who are not getting caught; but that doesn't mean others who are guilty shouldn't be held accountable.

Instead of complaining about them, report 'em!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefsa View Post
I am in the same position. I got a letter for the same date. I too never received a fine. And we water once a week. I am going to find out too if I can go in my husband's place. Thank you for all your information. This letter struck me really strange. I am thinking it is a mistake. I wonder how many others have received this letter.
Although I can't see the letter it was / is more than likely one that is sent out as a Warning /Educational Letter. I'll assure you that someone reported you whether a neighbor, passer by, etc. You will only get a citation if you are observed by an SAWS Employee who has been given the authority, Off Duty Law Enforcement, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio