Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
PLEASE tell me which jurisdiction that was in....

Soviet, you may be interest to know, if you dont already and just used the wrong term...but the State of Texas grants every Peace Officer his power. All Peace Officer in Texas have jurisdiction anywhere in the State, 24/7

To say "what Jurisdiction?" would imply the authority of a court, not Peace Officers. Courts are limited in a geographic sense (which is what Jurisdiction really means). Courts in Texas have (sometimes many) overlapping Jurisdictions.

So what you want to know is what "AGENCY" did it....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Soviet, you may be interest to know, if you dont already and just used the wrong term...but the State of Texas grants every Peace Officer his power. All Peace Officer in Texas have jurisdiction anywhere in the State, 24/7

To say "what Jurisdiction?" would imply the authority of a court, not Peace Officers. Courts are limited in a geographic sense (which is what Jurisdiction really means). Courts in Texas have (sometimes many) overlapping Jurisdictions.

So what you want to know is what "AGENCY" did it....?
I suppose you are correct.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 14,614 times
I was given an expired inspection ticket in Arcola, TX. We were driving back from camping and we decided to drive home locally. We saw a police patrol across the road but we just thought he was looking for people speeding. When we passed him, suddenly his car turned around and he signaled for us to stop. We complied not knowing what really happened. He said our vehicle inspection sticker had expired. We apologized and said we will have that fixed immediately. Regardless he wrote us a ticket. We decided to have the vehicle inspected the same day (less than 30 minutes after we received the ticket).

When we drove to the Arcola municipal court a day later, we were told that they cannot waive the ticket because it was more than 60 days and we would need to go to an arraignment a month later. The Arcola attendant said usually the prosecutor would be lenient on people who had their vehicles inspected within a week.

When we returned a month later, we sat in a large room filled with people who had various traffic violations. Strangely, the officer that issued us the ticket was there providing security. The prosecutor asked each individual how they plead. We responded "Not Guilty, Documentation". She than began to review each individual case by case. When she finally called us, we came up and showed her the citation and the inspection. She laughed and said she was surprised how fast we got the vehicle inspected. She said she was going to waive the ticket and we were so happy.

However, things started going downhill from there. When we went to pay the $20 court fee, the cashier questioned why we were dismissed. We responded that the prosecutor let us go. She refused to believe we got waived and went back to the prosecutor. When the cashier returned she said that the prosecutor made a mistake and that we would have to pay $150 (originally the ticket was $168). We were dumbfounded and asked why she changed the ticket status. She said that the inspection sticker was beyond 60 days so we had to pay the higher amount. When we mentioned that the Texas Transportation Code 548.605 states "c) Notwithstanding Subsection (b)(1)(B), the court may dismiss a charge of driving with an expired inspection certificate that has been expired for more than 60 days.", she said we only had two options, pay $168 or pay $150.

We decided to talk with the prosecutor again. She looked sympathetic and flustered and apologized saying that there was nothing she can do other than reduce it to $130. We felt like we had no choice so we paid that amount.

I am still in shock how the cashier had the power to overturn a prosecutor's decision. I do not think she was qualified. Also how everything was handled was very unprofessional. The cashier kept on laughing and gossiping about the people who were paying the fines. I do not think it is good to laugh at the misfortune of others.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
you are responding to a 4 year old thread bro...

Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Nothing wrong with that, KM1174. We need to be vocal about the gross injustices occurring in our communities. Crass behavior: laughing at others' misfortunes. Pathetic!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger73 View Post
I was given an expired inspection ticket in Arcola, TX. We were driving back from camping and we decided to drive home locally. We saw a police patrol across the road but we just thought he was looking for people speeding. When we passed him, suddenly his car turned around and he signaled for us to stop. We complied not knowing what really happened. He said our vehicle inspection sticker had expired. We apologized and said we will have that fixed immediately. Regardless he wrote us a ticket. We decided to have the vehicle inspected the same day (less than 30 minutes after we received the ticket).

When we drove to the Arcola municipal court a day later, we were told that they cannot waive the ticket because it was more than 60 days and we would need to go to an arraignment a month later. The Arcola attendant said usually the prosecutor would be lenient on people who had their vehicles inspected within a week.

When we returned a month later, we sat in a large room filled with people who had various traffic violations. Strangely, the officer that issued us the ticket was there providing security. The prosecutor asked each individual how they plead. We responded "Not Guilty, Documentation". She than began to review each individual case by case. When she finally called us, we came up and showed her the citation and the inspection. She laughed and said she was surprised how fast we got the vehicle inspected. She said she was going to waive the ticket and we were so happy.

However, things started going downhill from there. When we went to pay the $20 court fee, the cashier questioned why we were dismissed. We responded that the prosecutor let us go. She refused to believe we got waived and went back to the prosecutor. When the cashier returned she said that the prosecutor made a mistake and that we would have to pay $150 (originally the ticket was $168). We were dumbfounded and asked why she changed the ticket status. She said that the inspection sticker was beyond 60 days so we had to pay the higher amount. When we mentioned that the Texas Transportation Code 548.605 states "c) Notwithstanding Subsection (b)(1)(B), the court may dismiss a charge of driving with an expired inspection certificate that has been expired for more than 60 days.", she said we only had two options, pay $168 or pay $150.

We decided to talk with the prosecutor again. She looked sympathetic and flustered and apologized saying that there was nothing she can do other than reduce it to $130. We felt like we had no choice so we paid that amount.

I am still in shock how the cashier had the power to overturn a prosecutor's decision. I do not think she was qualified. Also how everything was handled was very unprofessional. The cashier kept on laughing and gossiping about the people who were paying the fines. I do not think it is good to laugh at the misfortune of others.
That's the way they are in those small Texas towns. I'm sorry for your misfortune. It's always a good idea to stick to the Interstates if you can. Smaller towns are just out to get you.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
No, when you were cited the car was being operated on public roads with an expired inspection. Either pay the fine or go to court and see if you can get it reduced, but the fact that the vehicle was later totaled has no bearing on the violation...

By the way, it's amusing that people will forgo a $14.50 inspection that takes 10-15 minutes to risk a ticket that will cost at least $20 (if not considerably more) and a day's wages lost while you sit in court...
It's not the $14.50 fee that kept me from doing it. It's the long line to wait to get the inspection. As another poster said, there is a really convenient place near huebner & bandera that has varying line lengths depending when you go. since human nature always wants to "get the extra month", it is normally crowded in the first week of a month. It's better to go at other times. I used my oil change guy this last time, since I trust him to not rip me off and he charges the normal inspection fee. It really is just another way for the State to make $$, imo.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's not the $14.50 fee that kept me from doing it. It's the long line to wait to get the inspection. As another poster said, there is a really convenient place near huebner & bandera that has varying line lengths depending when you go. since human nature always wants to "get the extra month", it is normally crowded in the first week of a month. It's better to go at other times. I used my oil change guy this last time, since I trust him to not rip me off and he charges the normal inspection fee. It really is just another way for the State to make $$, imo.
uhm yeah, blaming long lines is just a mark of laziness. there are several places that do inspections. if you re going somewhere because they are lax on what they inspect, fix your damn beater, stop polluting and get your frickin tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Nothing wrong with that, KM1174. We need to be vocal about the gross injustices occurring in our communities. Crass behavior: laughing at others' misfortunes. Pathetic!
nothing wrong with it, but im sorry im gonna laugh at you when you try to get out of a ticket that would have cost 14.50 to remedy.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,614 times
Come next March, Texas will no longer require an auto inspection sticker. Instead a single sticker will show proof of both vehicle registration and inspection. I think this is a better system it will remind drivers to get their vehicles inspected before they register.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger73 View Post
Come next March, Texas will no longer require an auto inspection sticker. Instead a single sticker will show proof of both vehicle registration and inspection. I think this is a better system it will remind drivers to get their vehicles inspected before they register.
Saving the state millions of $$$...we still have to pay and jump their hoops,..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: