Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Why do local stations like to pick up these people from outside markets, first ch5 and now ch 4. After Broome leaves i am headed to ch 12.
Research probably told them people here were looking for something different. The survey rd2007 took is proof that WOAI did research before making this hire. Stations do focus groups all the time to find out what the audience thinks of the people on their news team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,767,784 times
Quote:
Why do local stations like to pick up these people from outside markets, first ch5 and now ch 4. After Broome leaves i am headed to ch 12.
Because station owners and gm's are smart enough to know that most people don't care where the on air personalty is from as long as their qualified and help bring in ratings.

Seriously, you do know that Broome wasn't born in SA and came from outside the market.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,217,498 times
Quote:
That's the nature of the industry. Even NYC hires outside talent.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,392,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Most people who don't live here think that Miami = South Beach. South Beach is for tourists and those who love and can afford the perpetual party lifestyle...which leaves out pretty much 95% of the residents! The cost of living here is ridiculous...you pay $300K for a house you can easily get in San Antonio for $150K or less...plus taxes and homeowner's insurance will eat you alive. Traffic is a nightmare, and jobs (decent paying ones, that is) are scarce.

On the plus side, the weather in the winter (ok, three weeks in January/February that pass for "winter") can't be beat. The Florida Keys are amazing most any time of the year and a lot of the beaches (east & west coast) are beautiful.
Thanks for your post! Now I know how it is there. Didn't realize it's that expensive like LA.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
That's the nature of the industry. Even NYC hires outside talent.
That sounds like:
"I don't know, but everybody is doing it, so it must be the right thing to do"

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That sounds like:
LOL

Everyone does it because you have a better chance of finding what you're looking for with a bigger pool of applicants. It's not that hard of a concept.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
LOL

Everyone does it because you have a better chance of finding what you're looking for with a bigger pool of applicants. It's not that hard of a concept.
I understand what you are saying,
that would apply for a job that requires a high level of intelligence.

But do they really have to look outside of Texas for somebody to click a button to change screens and tell us a 7 day forecast?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
But do they really have to look outside of Texas for somebody to click a button to change screens and tell us a 7 day forecast?
If you reduce the role of a TV weather person to just that, than no, they actually wouldn't have to look one mile from their station in that case.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
If it were that easy, stations would use a computer voice to read the National Weather Service forecast over a slideshow of maps. There's a bit more to the job than that, which is why it requires a real person that an audience wants to watch doing what you describe.

My guess is that most of us here on the forum could read a forecast on camera and click through a few slides. Few people here would enjoy watching me do that, for instance, because I can't do it in a way that would make you want to come back and watch me do it on the next newscast. Maybe you can, but I can't.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,217,498 times
Quote:
That sounds like:
Quote:
I understand what you are saying,
that would apply for a job that requires a high level of intelligence.

Many here on CD have acknowledged that WOAI has held a steady third place in the ratings for quite some time. WOAI knows it and obviously wants to change the trend. There is no doubt they are putting a lot of research into who should replace Jennifer Broome (who has done a fine job as Chief over at WOAI). I am sure upper management looked inside their current weather team first for a replacement and for some reason or another chose to go a different route.

As Bowie and Lemonfresh have mentioned, the criteria for being hired is very high. In a market like San Antonio, even second or third string weather staff require a few years of on air experience (with a degree in Meteorology being preferred, but not required). Since a Chief Meteorologist gets paid a lot of money, they are not going to give it to just anyone. You must first have a proven record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio