U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 46,626 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I just moved to San Antonio and I'm in search of a job! I'm a college student though and I'll probably look for a job as a server. San Antonio is a huge city though and there are a bazillion restaurants I could apply to but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for places that are usually pretty busy and have a lot of people all through the week.

I LOVE the Riverwalk. Are people constantly wandering around there or is it more of a place to go on the weekends?

There's also the area around the Northstar Mall. I saw a couple of restaurants around there hiring. Would I just be better off working at a chain restaurant like Olive Garden?

Where are popular places to eat that are usually pretty busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
Try Cheddar's on 410 & Military. The only time they're not packed is when they're closed....

Old 04-18-2010, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 46,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Try Cheddar's on 410 & Military. The only time they're not packed is when they're closed....
It's funny you recommended Cheddar's. I just quit my job at the Cheddar's in College Station after 6 months.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon11 View Post
It's funny you recommended Cheddar's. I just quit my job at the Cheddar's in College Station after 6 months.
I try to stop there and eat but the line is usually out the door and down the sidewalk. My job prevents me from getting there when it's not so crowded. Either there or Cracker Barrel.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,391 times
Cheesecake Factory at Northstar Mall. Whenever I go they are pretty packed.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM

46 posts, read 164,431 times
Depends on where u live. I assume you're going to UTSA, so try places around La Cantera or The Rim. If I would ever be a waiter, I'd want to work at Yard House in La Cantera.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 AM

522 posts, read 989,921 times
i believe there's a bj's opening up around lacantera&10 (how soon i don't know) but i knew someone who worked at one back in ca, and they liked it. i don't know what places like that's hiring practices are, though, if they rather have experienced servers or what. couldn't hurt to try!

http://www.therimsa.net/
BJ's Restaurants (http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/locations.aspx?qst=tx - broken link) (looks like there's two new locals in satx)

if you look on sites like "snag a job" Jobs | Job Search for Full & Part Time Jobs | Summer Jobs | SnagAJob.com you'll find a lot of listings for hourly jobs, like servers, for businesses who regularly look for staff (like lubys, cracker barrel, etc)

good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM

184 posts, read 408,638 times
Try Willies Icehouse, i have talked to a couple of the employees there that are college students and they say hands down Willies is a great place to work for college kids. There is one off 1604 and Military just past I10, there is also one off 281 and Thousand Oaks.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

184 posts, read 408,638 times
Willie's Restaurants here is the link for Willies.
It is a relaxing atmosphere to eat in so i am sure it would be just the same to work in.
Good Luck

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
I'll probably get hammered for even suggesting it, but since you mentioned loving the Riverwalk and there's one of them down there, I've heard that the waitresses at Hooters make pretty good money!

Apparently there are pros & cons to working there; but money was listed as the first "pro"...

Quote:
Make no mistake about it; we're paid well for our troubles. While the hourly wage for a server is usually around $2, the average tip more than makes up for it. A server at Applebee's or Red Robin can expect about 15 to 20 percent, our tips begin at 20 percent. But it's more often around 50 or 100 percent, if not more. A Hooters Girl at a high-volume restaurant may leave for the night with several hundred dollars in her pocket. Whether these exorbitant tips are left out of appreciation or pity that we must dress like an '80s gym teacher is debatable.
Obviously, it that chain doesn't appeal to you, than this is a worthless recommendation, but if not it might be something to consider...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio