U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I don't remember that happening. Paper has always been known to be more degradable than plastic. Have any proof?
No, sir - I don't. It was many years ago when they made the push to do it, and I'm not in the habit of archiving stuff like that when I know it's BS. Then again, why would you be so anxious to demand "proof"? I lived in the City of SA for many, many years - you show to live in Austin. I remember many of the wild claims and positions taken by the SA City Council over the years - but since I don't live in Austin, I have NO idea as to what your council might have said up there.

When a governmental entity decides they want to do something, accuracy and fact doesn't come into their thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM

897 posts, read 2,614,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
No, sir - I don't. It was many years ago when they made the push to do it, and I'm not in the habit of archiving stuff like that when I know it's BS. Then again, why would you be so anxious to demand "proof"? I lived in the City of SA for many, many years - you show to live in Austin. I remember many of the wild claims and positions taken by the SA City Council over the years - but since I don't live in Austin, I have NO idea as to what your council might have said up there.

When a governmental entity decides they want to do something, accuracy and fact doesn't come into their thought process.

I do remember that happening back in the 1970's. The big issue was the trees that were being cut down to make the bags, not that the bags were biodegradable. Plastic bags saved trees was the theme the environmentalists were using at the time. Save the trees, save the rainforests, etc. I remember a commercial showing litter every where, which included paper bags. If they only knew that now the litter is still there, only the bags are made of plastic.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM

252 posts, read 631,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em - but don't take away the options of others to do so. It's called freedom of choice - and I can remember years ago when the "environmentalists" SCREAMED until they finally made plastic bags available because it was "better for the environment."

Different day, different "science"...
I agree entirely. We do not need more government intrusion into our lives.

Government is essentially physical force. There is no need for physical force when it comes to something as trivial as plastic bags.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
Environmentalists and Science in the same breath? Who are you kidding?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times
Default "Paper or Plastic?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCheck View Post
We have this in London, most of the large supermarkets have a scheme called "bag for life" so you just purchase a bag, or rather a number of bags (stronger and bigger plastic or cloth types) and if it gets damaged they replace it for free.

Easy to get used to, they just get left in the car so they're always there when you decide to go shopping.
I was a kid when I recall one day seeing the baggers at the grocery store bagging in plastic and no longer in paper {I actually used to bag my family's groceries growing up, though sometimes there was already a bagger present}.....

Perpetual Skeptic that I am about a million things, *something* that I felt in my bones told me right then: "Hmmmmm.....this doesn't seem right. Doesn't feel right about those plastic bags."

I guess we all have now seen so much about thousands and thousands of the beautiful things all over the place; on the ground, in trees, etc., etc., etc.....

Even so, for a while I was hoofing it for lack of a vehicle {by choice}.....and I used to go to one of those Dollar General stores and bag my own groceries; $10.00 usually lasted me over a week. If I felt like spoiling myself then I might buy me $20.00 worth.

I am single and childless, save for one cat.....

Anyway, it was a sweet little ten minute cadence march to-and-from my place, and a good little workout if I may mention as well; shifting it midway from one hand and shoulder to the other hand and shoulder. My bag was one of those older olive drab canvas paratrooper types.

I noticed that the store personnel actually seemed to like that I would bag my own {less energy for them to personally-use on me}, furthermore, I honestly found those plastic bags that would annoyingly-accumulate SO FAST in no time at all {even though I use said bags as garbage bags} at my spartanly-furnished place at Warp Speed; hence minimalist-me bagging my own. No need for plastics here. Excess.....and sometimes, as everyone knows, they would double-bag things.....

{I don't like clutteringly-having more things than I need}

Well, one day the cool store cashier guyregular who was to ring me up told me that his Immediate Supervisor {who personally-witnessed me bagging my own the visit prior} ordered him and his co-workers to start personally-bagging my goods.....with plastics.....and then if I so felt like it, I could then throw-in those filled bags into my own canvas bag.....and he looked bummed too.....

I thought to myself: "Oh, great. So much for feeling guilty about carbon-footprinting the environment and wanting to cut-down on this here."

Sure, I didn't HAVE to go there, and I indeed do appreciate that they ARE there for people, but such practices I daresay really should be re-evaluated.......

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM

246 posts, read 359,001 times
My suggestion would be to CHARGE extra for plastic bags.

I get a 10 cent credit at Whole foods for bringing my own bag but that is not the motivation. I HATE plastic bags.

They (HEB etc) could have a 1-2 week grace period before charges go into effect and give away reusable bags. Then charge alot for plastic, not 10 cents. Something like 25-50 cents per bag. The way some of the baggers use these plastic bags that would cost a fortune. Sometimes it seeems like they want to put each item in it's own bag.

Oh, by the way I am a libertarian and completely against the GOV trying to control our lives but there are some things that are for the greater good. You can't put tires in the landfill and there is a good reason why.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM

3,561 posts, read 5,289,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I do remember that happening back in the 1970's. The big issue was the trees that were being cut down to make the bags, not that the bags were biodegradable. Plastic bags saved trees was the theme the environmentalists were using at the time. Save the trees, save the rainforests, etc. I remember a commercial showing litter every where, which included paper bags. If they only knew that now the litter is still there, only the bags are made of plastic.
And now there is a better solution, reusable bags. No environmentalists today promote the use of either plastic or paper bags now that there is a better alternative. I also think back in the 70's the circumstances were different in that there wasn't as much replanting of forests once they were taken out.

I have to ask have you ever seen a discarded reusable HEB bag anywhere in SA? I have never seen one in Austin yet every day I see strewn paper and plastic bags. What more evidence do you need?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM

129 posts, read 270,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I can just see all the plastic bag booths popping up all over 1604, next to the fireworks stands. We'll have to start smuggling them across the city line. What will the punishment be? Stick one over your head till you pass out?

LOLOL.. and all the perverts will be going: "Hey little girl, I have a plastic bag in my car, would you like one?"........ Fights will break out at the registers when someone thinks the person in front of them got an extra bag for free.... People will be brandishing guns as they search the corners of abandoned lots for old bags with moldy bits of leaves in them...

(sorry, weird day today)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or