U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 8,841 times

Advertisements

Elmariachi

I teach high school English. I have been teaching for 4 years and do have my Master's degree. I teach in a low-income area and teach students that are English Language Learners. I also teach a CAHSEE (Ca High School Exit Exam) intensive class. I am fully AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)trained. I am bilingual. I already sent in my resume to two school districts in San Antonio.

Firstclassflyer

Why did you decide to move back?

As far as weather..... I hate cold weather. I lived in AZ for a year and I loved the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM

texasrednexk

We would not be looking to rent but rather we would want to buy a house, fairly new or move in ready. I would want to live in a safe, family-oriented neighborhood with a good school district.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM

229 posts, read 586,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiaz7 View Post
Elmariachi

I teach high school English. I have been teaching for 4 years and do have my Master's degree. I teach in a low-income area and teach students that are English Language Learners. I also teach a CAHSEE (Ca High School Exit Exam) intensive class. I am fully AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)trained. I am bilingual. I already sent in my resume to two school districts in San Antonio.

Firstclassflyer

As far as weather..... I hate cold weather. I lived in AZ for a year and I loved the heat.
Well, just to give you a rough idea, the district where my wife teaches has a base salary of $44,425 for 4 years of experience. on top of that you get $2,000 more per year if you have a master's degree, and about $1,000 if you teach English as a Second Language (I'm not sure if that's the same as English Language Learners), in addition, for the past 3 years, all teacher's have gotten $1,000 stipends to make their salaries a little more competitive with the higher paying districts. Some school's in low income area will also get bonuses for doing well or showing marked improvement on the state standardized test, the TAKS. If I remember correctly, my wife received about $500 last year, but she does not teach a core subject, which would have gotten more.

Hope these numbers help to give you an idea of what you might make as a teacher in San Antonio. Oh, and don't forget, in addition to pay you also get fully funded Health and Dental Insurance for yourself, but will have to pay for your child.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info!! My current benefits include full coverage for myself, my husband, and my daughter. How much would I have to pay in health insurance to ge them both covered??

Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,008,878 times
Everyone and there dad and uncle wants to be a teacher now with the recession.

I've considered it and it's something I think I'd like to do it but I am not naive to think that It'll be easy.

It's waaay too competitive out there right now. I've read stories on here of people looking for teacher jobs but they still haven't got a break after many months and years even.

If it's something you really want to do, just know that it could be awhile before you secure a job. Have a couple of backup plans and really make sure that you're ready for the move in all aspects.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,682,215 times
Quote:
Elmariachi

Firstclassflyer

DM sent. Good luck to you.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM

229 posts, read 586,226 times
Quote:
How much would I have to pay in health insurance to ge them both covered??
I found some info from my wife's district which uses Humana as a health care provider:

Employee and Child(ren) = $182 per month
Employee and Spouse = $268 per month
Employee and Family = $576 per month

Now, I'm almost certain these costs would vary by district. Hope this helps.

While the above poster is right about there being a flood of teachers in the market, keep in mind that you do have experience and additional training, which can help to distinguish you from those just entering the field.

Last edited by elmariachi; 04-22-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM

6,252 posts, read 8,958,775 times
Also...PLEASE - do yourself a favor and plan on renting for AT LEAST 6 mos to a year! That will give you time to evaluate neighborhoods and areas that you like. All too often, folks jump into a place, only to find out that they don't care for it, and getting back out of it can be an expensive lesson in patience. It'll also give you a chance to get "settled in" and look around at your leisure to find the best possible deal.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM

14,603 posts, read 31,102,271 times
Wow...she saves a grand a month on housing, only to spend it on health insurance and air conditioning. Bummer.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,325,676 times
Don't let people deter you from enjoying what SA has to offer. I'm a native Chicagoan who's lived all over the world and find this city to be just fantastic. It might not be 'SoCal,' but I'm thankful for that considering CA is always on the brink of state bankruptcy.

Welcome. We're glad to have you

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or