U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times

Advertisements

Michelle, go for it! You'll pay a LOT more to do it after the fact, and it'll never be "right" if you do it post-construction, simply because this way all the exterior spigots will be "hard" water, and the interior soft. Trying to do it later, you'll have to run piping outside the house for your yard spigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM

191 posts, read 385,580 times
What is the environmental impact of water softening systems? I have read that it isn't very good, but maybe they make ones that have less impact now?

I noticed that earlier in the post RO units were mentioned. We have one because our water has 50 times the EPA allowable amount of arsenic (and it's city water, too, we're in CA but moving next week to SA), which cannot be removed by a house filter. So we drink RO water. But, it takes 5 gallons of water to make one gallon of RO water, plus, since it is chemically pure water, it actually has a negative impact on your health. We get trace minerals from our water, so long term drinking of water from an RO system can have some negative health side effects. A quick Wikipedia search should give you all the information you need to make an informed choice for you, your family, and the environment.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Charlie, with all due respect you're TOTALLY wrong with your allegations re. the "health affects" of drinking RO water. There have been accredited long-term studies done at a number of reputable facilities that indicate that there's so little water involved in getting vitamins/minerals from drinking water that it's negligible.
While I'm the first to tell folks that 99% of the stuff the various companies use to sell homeowners on using RO systems is fluffed hype, I'm also not going to sit by and watch someone try to weave the story from the other direction, either.
Your perception of the recovery rate of an RO system IS accurate w/regards to residential units operating on line pressure. RO's that utilize a pressure pump, however, can easily recover 75% of the feed water. But SA water in and of itself is easily more than "good" for human consumption - so if you're talking to some bozo trying to sell you one, KNOW that any claims he makes regarding it being "better" for you is bull.
I have a FEW customers that need RO water for medical reasons, and a few others that have it simply because the "like" it better - but most of them believe me when I point out to them that I'm telling them NOT to buy something from me!<G>
Personally, I do not use a home RO because I see no need or benefit. I also bypass the little filters in the fridge - at $55-75 each, they're another marketing hype product that I see as not being worth their cost. If you HAVE to do additional filtration, there's LOTS more cost-effective ways of doing it.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM

191 posts, read 385,580 times
Then apparently Wikipedia is wrong as well. They state it in their article on the health effects of drinking RO water. I'd love to see your studies. Life is all about learning new things, right? If you just have a reference, then I can get access to the full article because I have full journal access.

I'm not a RO hater, like I said, we drink it because our city water is literally poison. But it wasn't a decision that I took lightly. Most people in our neighborhood (who can afford it) have bottled water delivered to their house, and that is what they use. But we needed to get a whole house filter (our water also smells strongly of sulfur) and the RO unit came with the house filter. At least the water we drink is safe, and I can send RO water to school with my daughter (they send notes home advising the students not to drink the water), so for us, right now with our drinking water situation, it is a good solution. But I cringe when I hear the "waste" water dripping down the drain, and I read many studies about how RO units can leach minerals from your body and your teeth, and it makes sense given the chemistry of water and osmosis.

But like I said, everyone needs to do their own research, and come up with a decision they feel comfortable with in regards to their family and the environment.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM

When it comes to medical-related issues, I refer folks to their physicians. It's actually quite interesting, because if you actually sit down and evaluate it, how much water do you drink in a day? And just what minerals in that water are going to be going into your body and be absorbed??? Your doctor can tell you that - and this way, you've got a 3rd-party reference point that's unbiased. I'm not being disagreeable here, but if you rely on wikipedia for ANY sort of accurate information, you're not doing very good research - it's been proven wrong too many times, since it relies on outside (and unregulated) information sources. I've seen scammers get themselves listed in it extolling all their "accomplishments" - and it was nothing but pure lies.
For a little background on me....I've designed and sold systems used on everything for general lab water supplies, to systems for medical use - and one for a space station galley. I've been threatened with lawsuits by the folks selling the magnetic gadgets when I stated they were useless junk - and have been in this field since 1976. I do residential systems as well - I'm at the point in my life when I'm ready for things to slow down a bit, so am gradually trying to work my way out of the commercial/industrial side of the business.(he says, sitting down having just returned from a trip to Houston meeting w/oilfield and analytical labs wanting new systems)<G>
Guess my point in the above is that while I've got extensive background in the industry, I don't follow the "industry line" in some of the marketing hype that they put down - don't need to. I'm kept plenty busy selling stuff that IS needed - don't need to sell stuff that I don't believe in, and wouldn't use in my own home, or that of family members.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,352,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Then apparently Wikipedia is wrong as well. They state it in their article on the health effects of drinking RO water. I'd love to see your studies. Life is all about learning new things, right? If you just have a reference, then I can get access to the full article because I have full journal access.

I'm not a RO hater, like I said, we drink it because our city water is literally poison. But it wasn't a decision that I took lightly. Most people in our neighborhood (who can afford it) have bottled water delivered to their house, and that is what they use. But we needed to get a whole house filter (our water also smells strongly of sulfur) and the RO unit came with the house filter. At least the water we drink is safe, and I can send RO water to school with my daughter (they send notes home advising the students not to drink the water), so for us, right now with our drinking water situation, it is a good solution. But I cringe when I hear the "waste" water dripping down the drain, and I read many studies about how RO units can leach minerals from your body and your teeth, and it makes sense given the chemistry of water and osmosis.

But like I said, everyone needs to do their own research, and come up with a decision they feel comfortable with in regards to their family and the environment.

I'm not certain of the term "City Water".... But wth all due respect the "City Water" here in San Antonio is not poisoned. Here in San Antonio and surrounding areas Folks are consuming one of the best waters in the Country. Sure the water is hard, but that hasn't killed anyone yet. Maybe scrubbing hard water deposits off of shower doors, faucets, etc. has killed some Folks. Yes there is Chlorine in the water but the same is true with every other Public Purveyor. I'll assure you that there is far less dosed than other Cities in Texas. I hear very often people say that their water tastes and smells like swimming pool water. You will find Chlorine Residuals ranging from 0.60 to 1.2 parts per million. That is far from swimming pool water. Yes Fluoride is added. Remember this was what the Citizens of COSA wanted. I know adding Fluoride has not poisoned the water. I do wish though that all users could have voted on the Fluoride but only COSA Residents' were able to vote. City water travels pretty darn far outside the City Limits. Just to clarify something...... City Water here in San Antonio is not solely form the Edward's Aqiuifer but the Trinity and Carrizo Wilcox Aquifer, Canyon Lake, Medina River (BexarMet).....

If Folks only knew what measures are taken to insure Water Quality. I have been baffled over the years when people make those "Poisoned Water" comments. Now if you have a private water well that was not cased properly and is allowing waters to co mingle then you'll have a problem. This is an all to common occurance especially with older water wells but co mingling water ususally does not harm anyone. Yes it may have a sulphur odor but we have to remember... Potable Water is not always Palatable Water. That statement is true when it comes to both Public Purveyors and Private Water Wells. If someone on a private well that is near a compromised sewer system (faulty septic tank or lateral lines) then you may be poisoned since the water is being recycled from the well to the sewer system back to the well and over and over. That cyle includes the bodies of those who drink it and flush it.

When it comes to "City Water" some won't drink it but they shower and bath with it. They cook with it. They wash their clothes and dishes with it. They put in into their mouths when brushing their teeth.

I blame those smooth talking Water Treatment Sales People that knock on you door or phone your home and insist that they come out and test your water due to it being unsafe for consumption. Some are so Chicken S.... that they'll identify themselves as an employee of a Public Purveyor. Some of those scumbags can sell ice cubes to Eskimo's. It's sad that their are those who end up buying something they don't need rather than contacting their Water Purveyor for answers. I live for the day when one of those uneducated smooth talkers comes to my door. I'll sit back and listen to his / her scripted speech with a dropped jaw and wide opened eye with eyes. Then with all the pleasure I can give I'll share my secret and show my business card or ID. We better have the front door open since that individual will take off like a bat out of hell and I don't want a screen door. I will however keep the free set of steak knives.

Keep listening to TexasRedneck if you want the honest answers and suggestions when it comes to Water Quality and Treatment. The Water Treatment Industry needs more Folks like him.

Last edited by wellguy; 06-09-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 AM

186 posts, read 617,762 times
I don't have one and it doesn't bother me. I do have a dishwasher that uses salt, its own built in softener so it doesn't leave the white streaking on glasses... I guess if I didn't have that it might bother me.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,444 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input, we will go ahead and stick with the builder then.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,006 times
YES GET A SOFTNER......It is not a luxury ....BUT IF Have the time and LIKE to clean big chuncks of build up outa your dishwasher and like having white etched out marks on your glass ware. do not get one.... SO if the water does this to the dishwasher and glassware imagen what it does to your water heater/ washing machine/shower heads and toilets? Other then that the water is safe to drink and tastes ok and some studies say that TX water drinkers have less cavities...with..regular hygeine practices..
Just saying? you do what you want to do!

Last edited by mom91; 06-24-2010 at 12:25 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

427 posts, read 1,036,859 times
How much salt is needed to start the system and how much does one typically use per month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio