U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a professional property tax reduction firm in San Antonio? If so which one and what was your opinion of them?

Most of them you only pay them 50% of what they saved you..and you dont pay a dime if they dont get a reduction. I would much rather give my money to someone else instead of the city. I have protested numerous times, but it ends up being a waste of time when you live in a nice home...taking photos will only end up hurting me.

Since they raised my value another $7K this year, year I thought I would see what a professional can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM

437 posts, read 776,221 times
Make sure your professional has access to the Multiple Listings Service (MLS) to see what homes have sold for in your neighborhood. It's the best tool you could have against BCAD.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
I tried one once. It accomplished absolutely nothing. I don't even bother to open their envelopes anymore.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 AM

33 posts, read 74,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
Make sure your professional has access to the Multiple Listings Service (MLS) to see what homes have sold for in your neighborhood. It's the best tool you could have against BCAD.
This. You can get a realtor to pull comps for you from MLS (focus on 0-3 months prior to Jan 1), usually for free if you have a relationship or a small fee if you don't. If the comps seem to indicate that your home is overvalued by BCAD, it may be worth pusuing either on your own or with the help of a professional if there are big dollars at stake.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 AM

824 posts, read 1,601,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I tried one once. It accomplished absolutely nothing. I don't even bother to open their envelopes anymore.
Right on. There are companies that specialize in this, but for commercial owners and larger residential properties. Keep in mind that the savings on $7k worth of appraised value is less than $200, depending on where you live. No one's gonna take your case for less than $100.

Protesting at BCAD is super-easy to do. You'll get a notice, with a schedule for an informal hearing and a formal hearing. The informal hearing is an opportunity to negotiate directly with a BCAD employee and try to reduce your appraised value (also, they're required by law to provide you with sales and value comps at this hearing). Often times, you'll be offered a small reduction at the informal hearing without going to the formal.

It doesn't take much time, and it makes a huge difference over time in the appraised value of your home.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM

The list of comps you get from BCAD isn't a complete list; they give you the higher numbers. I've been playing this game with them for years, always successfully at the informal hearing. I only requested their "evidence" package once to see what they were using to justify raising my appraisal. The person I saw over there at the informal hearing wasn't a happy camper; she was a lot tougher on me and did mention my requesting the package. I think they get all twisted when you request the information, so I never asked for it again. Do get a hold of a list of comps from a realtor; I've never charged for them but others might. Ask around.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM

816 posts, read 1,474,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
I only requested their "evidence" package once to see what they were using to justify raising my appraisal. The person I saw over there at the informal hearing wasn't a happy camper; she was a lot tougher on me and did mention my requesting the package. I think they get all twisted when you request the information, so I never asked for it again.
I've always requested the evidence packet, even if I had no intention of protesting, just for my records. When I have actually attended the hearings, I have usually been complimented on my investigation and have always been successful. (Maybe not as successful as my wife wanted me to be...)

Of course, this year, I will be protesting because the average appraisal on our street increased 10%... in a down market!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM

I encourage people to protest if they think they have a case. As a realtor (and a statistician by training) I do a lot of research. I regularly find properties that have sold for high prices still taxed on low values. This happens in entire neighborhoods, including upscale neighborhoods, where I find homes that are appraised sometimes at $1,000,000 below what they sold for the previous year - even though BCAD computers are linked to the MLS and have all the information available. There are hundreds of acres owned by out-of-town developers, appraised for much less than what they're worth (the Helotes area comes to mind). I wish BCAD would pay a little more attention to those. I fight for my $200 and I hope everyone else will do the same.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,302 times
my property went up 5k so i will be protesting this year just gonna do some homework first.mls is what we need, anything else that would help me please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or