U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 37,822 times

Advertisements

Thanks skeet. Thought of that. They can't expel or move them all to alternative and unless a crime Juvie is not really an option. Some behaviors border that but I would never want to send a kid to jail until other options were exhausted. Problem is that our options are too few it seems.

Then the state funding issue comes into the discussion. If the kids aren't there the school loses money. We all know that and just need to accept it as fact. Its our tax dollars so I am not sure we would want it differently.

Also in schools that are predominately made up of non-white populations you start getting concern about how it will "look" that more Hispanic or African American children get sent there. People don't look at or care that the population of that school may be a majority minority (90%+ minority not uncommon). I am by no means stating that this is an issue related to a color or culture group. It isn't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM

126 posts, read 323,716 times
I don't want anybody hitting my child.

I don't spank, I would not hit the person I love the most.

My son is only in Kinder, but he loves school and is excelling. He wins behavior certificates and reading awards. So maybe I have it easy, I am pretty sure my son won't put himself in a situation where he would have to be severely punished, if he stays on the track he is on.

Some parents do spank, I know that. I'm sure that they think it is best. I would not judge.

But I tell you, IF corporal punishment is brought back, I certainly hope that the parents have the option, I don't know a "yes you can hit my child" or "no you may not hit my child" form when enrolling for the year.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM

317 posts, read 1,606,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post

"50 laps around the track"
For those who can't sit still in class or insist on texting friends...

"Afterschool Study Hour"
for those who can't seem to do their homework or projects

"Push-ups or Shut up"
for those that don't know the meaning of 'be quiet'

Public or private, my kids have been to both and the problems are the same. Any teachers out there that have any ideas?
I like those... how about adding some clean up of the school too, especially for the "artists" who like to deface school property. When we were in high school, they assigned kids to lunch room clean up, parking lot clean up, class to class trash can collection, desk scrubbing and lunch detention for all types of infractions. Don't want to comply, ok> In-school suspension until you do. No tears or notes from your mama will bail you out either.

I do not want anyone using corporal punishment on my children. I think the schools can do better than that, and better than what they are doing now. If they need disciplined to the point that you feel you need to hit them, you need to call me or their father.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM

If it were brought back, big IF it seems, I would think they would need that sort of form you're right Fitmommy.

Kinder is very young for this sort of punishment to be much of an issue I would agree.

The way I have heard it is that parents would give permission, be called before any punishment were administered and be given the option again at that time to have the school move forward or have the parent deal with it or be present during. I don't think the option should ever overrule a parent's desire.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
secgal1, I understand where you are coming from, but I doubt that corporal punishment will ever return in schools. I recall the days that the boys were afraid of the 'spat' board that the coaches and principal had. Act up and get a few spats. Seemed to work then. Not PC now....
I went to catholic school from 1st to 6th grade and that I can tell you that it doesn't work.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

I am all for detention and other undesirable activities being used as punishment first. I would even support it in place of corporal punishment entirely.

But can someone tell me though HOW to make a kid do THOSE things when you couldn't get them to behave in class, stop cussing out teachers, stop having sex on the steps of the school?
Or how exactly do you force them to execute these punishment type activities when they don't show up? Their parents notes and tears will always bail them out too unless the school wants to hear from lawyers. I really don't see an administrator making a kid stay after school for punishment if a mom has called to say Susie can't stay because she has to catch the bus since Mom has no car or is at work or just doesn't agree for Susie to stay after.
Now what? When it comes down to it what can really be enforced? Not much it seems.
Seeing the posts here I'm not sure I would be entirely comfortable with my kids being spanked either but then we tend to take care of discipline issues at home, demand our children show respect to their teachers and fellow students. We take seriously when behavior deviates from that. I will defend my children but I won't defend their bad unacceptable behavior for them. That is not good for them at all.

So any administrators out there that can explain for us why it seems NOTHING is done to these kids when they are sent to the office? Why they are sent back to class to continue the exact same behaviors and disrupt others learning experience? Why disciplinary actions that ARE available are not exercised as they should be, consistently? Like ISS, detention, tickets being issued, parents called?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommy View Post
But I tell you, IF corporal punishment is brought back, I certainly hope that the parents have the option, I don't know a "yes you can hit my child" or "no you may not hit my child" form when enrolling for the year.
There used to be a form like this. I always put DO NOT hit my child. It was very clear that I wanted to know anything my child was doing but I wanted to do the punishing. Believe me, they would have rather had licks . Luckily, my kids have never had or been any problems in school.

I wish I knew a solution to the problem but I don't. There are too many parents out there that send their kids to school and expect the teachers to teach them everything. Helloooooo people, it all begins at home.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM

126 posts, read 323,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post

I wish I knew a solution to the problem but I don't. There are too many parents out there that send their kids to school and expect the teachers to teach them everything. Helloooooo people, it all begins at home.
nail on the head. sad that this is true.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
There used to be a form like this. I always put DO NOT hit my child.
My parent always told them that they could do anything.
If they could select "Beat the ..... out of him" they have done it.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secgal1 View Post
I am looking for thoughts on the Pros and Cons of bringing back a system of Corporal Punishment or other disciplinary measures that would actually be carried out and EFFECTIVE in San Antonio and surrounding area school districts (Boerne and other surrounding towns).

Kids are outta control. What are viable options? What we are able to do now (pretty much nothing and the kids know it) is NOT working. Teachers, student aides, classroom volunteers and (here's the kicker) your own children are victims to the unruly conduct (that is putting it mildly) of "children" whose parents WILL NOT address the behavior that is socially unacceptable. This is not limited to high school or even middle school. Ideas by age group would be welcome as well.

There are 6th graders having sex on school grounds, 4th graders cussing out teachers, middle and high school kids physically threatening teachers, abusive behaviors toward other students that are not able to be addressed EFFECTIVELY.

Realistic ideas are welcome. This includes some methods of Corporal Punishment in my opinion. I plan to draft something for submission if I can gather enough info. Feed back from those in the education field (teachers and administrators is very welcome) but also Parents and even students (if you can be mature and respectful about your suggestions...this really applies to us ALL).

This may have been done before but needs to happen again and again until something different is tried!
I haven't read this thread - I stopped right here at the first post.

Discipline begins AT HOME. If YOU can't control your kids, if they act like little beasts and YOU LET THEM, they're going to be horrid in school.

Teach your children to obey rules and to listen to the teacher and to behave themselves and to keep their hands to themselves, and you won't have to advocate for corporal punishment in schools.

I'm SICK of everyone blaming teachers and the school system for how "awful" and "out of control" kids are. Parents need to take responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio