U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM

99,461 posts, read 26,477,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Satx56.....if you turn South on Mission Rd off of SW Military, drive down to the intersection of March Drive and Mission Rd. To your right, you'll see one of the entrances to San Jose Memorial Park. Just inside the gates to the left, you'll see Heloise's blank headstone. Also right in that same vicinity is some of the Cude Family....related to Elton Cude.

Follow that drive around toward the left...don't make any hard or sharp turns. You'll come across a wooded section with a pond. On the North side of the pond is the Palfrey plot. I don't remember which Palfrey is there.

Just on the South side of that pond is the Centano (sp) family...the other home grown grocer in town. They used to have a huge tract of land to keep too many burials close to their plots, but eventually sold off a lot of their tracts. They have very colorful and exotic displays at their family plot during holidays etc to celebrate their family. At Christmas they used to even put up a tree with a generator and all to keep the lights on during the holidays. It's quite a sight! They have one of the most beautiful works of art for a family headstone. It's black granite with a almost full bronze figure of a woman resting on the marker. It's stunning and surprises you if you're not expecting it. It's very art deco.....very non funeral in a sense, but also very sad to look at in a way.

More on the Palfrey's in the Who's Who thread.

The pond may be a newer addition. I haven't seen it from the road either side which I frequently pass by. Cude family were in the business , right? Funeral I mean. I'll have to go in soon and check it out. Thanks for the info! Still waiting on response brother IL . Check those click ons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,195,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The pond may be a newer addition. I haven't seen it from the road either side which I frequently pass by. Cude family were in the business , right? Funeral I mean. I'll have to go in soon and check it out. Thanks for the info! Still waiting on response brother IL . Check those click ons!
Yep....mom and dad Cude....owners of Alamo Funeral Home back in the 70's. Can't remember the circumstances, but they both died fairly close together. Their son was roommates with my boyfriend in college. I remember going to their house here in SA. His sister had a stereo cabinet that was made out of a childrens casket in her bedroom! I guess you just get used to some things when you're in the biz.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 PM

413 posts, read 953,707 times
Quote:
Yep....mom and dad Cude....owners of Alamo Funeral Home back in the 70's. Can't remember the circumstances, but they both died fairly close together. Their son was roommates with my boyfriend in college. I remember going to their house here in SA. His sister had a stereo cabinet that was made out of a childrens casket in her bedroom! I guess you just get used to some things when you're in the biz.
That's crazy. But I think it takes a special soul to do funeral homes. Kinda like the show Six Feet Under.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Dont EVER go into the chinese graveyard . i personally experianced something very ugly . not many people but the people that were there belive me but the people that were there. all i remember is that i was in the middle of the graveyard wit everyone and out of no where i felt something overpowering me so i fainted . my friends said that when i woke up that it wasnt me . that i kept looking around like if i didnt know who i was . that i was bleeding from my mouth and that i was trying to run. so they took me to a pastors house at 3 in the morning and he prayed for me . he told me that if i wouldnt of gone i would of died .

Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,968 times
Quote:
Wrong place.....read my directions again. The house in question is south of Trainer Hale Rd. It's the first residence on the EAST of 1518 as you travel North from I-10.
Hey...bummer but it's not...and Datapoint is the road that once was Donore Rd. They sold the land and now it's Promintary Point Apts...very 'expensive' Apts...(go..figure?) Anywho...I used to go the mansion before it was tore down. It was on a hill higher than the other mansions. It was a teenager thing to go there ....very strange too.. The man (midget) built under ground tunnels all underneath
the place..and they were very small to travel through about 4ft?? The place was orginally owned by a Naval Officer he built the house....then it burned down..And...that when he moved in with his family and renovated it..he was an insurance salesman?? He went crazy and brutally murdered his family and kept them in the closet.....Anywho?? I won't go any further with details...Take it easy..

Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amare211 View Post
Hey...bummer but it's not...and Datapoint is the road that once was Donore Rd. They sold the land and now it's Promintary Point Apts...very 'expensive' Apts...(go..figure?) Anywho...I used to go the mansion before it was tore down. It was on a hill higher than the other mansions. It was a teenager thing to go there ....very strange too.. The man (midget) built under ground tunnels all underneath
the place..and they were very small to travel through about 4ft?? The place was orginally owned by a Naval Officer he built the house....then it burned down..And...that when he moved in with his family and renovated it..he was an insurance salesman?? He went crazy and brutally murdered his family and kept them in the closet.....Anywho?? I won't go any further with details...Take it easy..
Donore Rd is still there. If you're traveling North on Fred Rd...it's just after the "Highland Inn". The lovely Budget Extended stay is on the corner (with extra lovely faded Pink signage!) You turn right after the Highland Inn. I think GY2020 said that the end of Donore Rd was the mansion....which is the back side of Promintory Point Apts. I'm not sure if Datapoint might have connected with Donore Rd at one point.....but at least that section of Donore is still there.

BTW - the quote you highlighted of my past post was not regarding the midget mansion. That was a discussion on another house on the Seguin side of SA and I-10.

I hope I cleared up some confusion!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Donore Rd is still there. If you're traveling North on Fred Rd...it's just after the "Highland Inn". The lovely Budget Extended stay is on the corner (with extra lovely faded Pink signage!) You turn right after the Highland Inn. I think GY2020 said that the end of Donore Rd was the mansion....which is the back side of Promintory Point Apts. I'm not sure if Datapoint might have connected with Donore Rd at one point.....but at least that section of Donore is still there.

BTW - the quote you highlighted of my past post was not regarding the midget mansion. That was a discussion on another house on the Seguin side of SA and I-10.

I hope I cleared up some confusion!
I think back in there on Donore is where the Rogers had a Real Estate Office. Is that Shavano Park?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I think back in there on Donore is where the Rogers had a Real Estate Office. Is that Shavano Park?
No....if you take DeZavala (off I-10) and turn right....Shavano Park is near the intersection of NW Military and DeZavala.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
No....if you take DeZavala (off I-10) and turn right....Shavano Park is near the intersection of NW Military and DeZavala.
So many years since I've been back there. But the Rogers had a real Estate office in that area!! Prolly 70's 80's !!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 AM

57 posts, read 139,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

I read where the Huebner-Onion House on Rt 16 is rumored to be haunted (it certainly looks it!). I know Judge John Onion died there while accidently drinking a bottle of Lamp Oil he mistook for wiskey. The property is now being restored by the Leon Valley Historical Society for a future museum; but has anyone been in the place before it was closed up for rennovation??

Cheers! M2
Correction..... Joseph Huebner drank lamp oil accidentally. Some where behind the house there are two graves. His and a young child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio