Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

Cat

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the facility off of Southton Road south of 410 was never identified as an "insane aslyum" as urban myth has called it. There are facilities at this location, but from what I remember I believe someone identified it as a state hospital for tuberculosis or some other disease that was prevalent back then. But obviously that isn't as exciting as claiming it was a "mental institution," much like the ghost tracks are just an optical illusion that you are going uphill when in reality you are going downhill. Same with Donkey Lady bridge. Places like that which defy explanation will usually have one made up for them, and I think this was the case for the old city/state facility that lies off of Farm Road.

Oh, and 'Farm Road' is the name of the street, it is not like a Farm-to-Market (FM) road, which is prevalent around here. If yo GoogleMap 'Farm Road, San Antonio, TX' it will show it. It is just to the east of the correctional facility that is on Farm Road, and there is even a street view!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Cat

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the facility off of Southton Road south of 410 was never identified as an "insane aslyum" as urban myth has called it. There are facilities at this location, but from what I remember I believe someone identified it as a state hospital for tuberculosis or some other disease that was prevalent back then. But obviously that isn't as exciting as claiming it was a "mental institution," much like the ghost tracks are just an optical illusion that you are going uphill when in reality you are going downhill. Same with Donkey Lady bridge. Places like that which defy explanation will usually have one made up for them, and I think this was the case for the old city/state facility that lies off of Farm Road.

Oh, and 'Farm Road' is the name of the street, it is not like a Farm-to-Market (FM) road, which is prevalent around here. If yo GoogleMap 'Farm Road, San Antonio, TX' it will show it. It is just to the east of the correctional facility that is on Farm Road, and there is even a street view!

Cheers! M2
Thanks for the link! I wish it was possible to see the front of it from the street view. I have recently seen a picture of the "insane asylum" from an article and wanted to compare it. A health asylum of some kind makes sense.
I have a map that dates back to the 30's and shows the "Southwestern Insane Asylum" being North of Brooks. It appears to be about the same location as the current mental health facility. It's hard to say because many of the current roads were not yet laid out....plus it's not to scale. It wouldn't make sense to have two large "insane asylums" in such close proximity. The map I have does show Southon Rd, so I'll try to find more landmarks on the map and see if it indicates this facility anywhere.

I haven't done a search, but didn't we talk about this asylum in the Hot Wells thread? I remember seeing the aerial view, but I remember it being a bit more remote.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Thanks for the link! I wish it was possible to see the front of it from the street view. I have recently seen a picture of the "insane asylum" from an article and wanted to compare it. A health asylum of some kind makes sense.
I have a map that dates back to the 30's and shows the "Southwestern Insane Asylum" being North of Brooks. It appears to be about the same location as the current mental health facility. It's hard to say because many of the current roads were not yet laid out....plus it's not to scale. It wouldn't make sense to have two large "insane asylums" in such close proximity. The map I have does show Southon Rd, so I'll try to find more landmarks on the map and see if it indicates this facility anywhere.

I haven't done a search, but didn't we talk about this asylum in the Hot Wells thread? I remember seeing the aerial view, but I remember it being a bit more remote.

I'm thinking the "State" hospital came about nearly the same time as the Hot Wells Motel! The Hospital has been called many things over the years! I'm sure I've seen evidence the Hospital dates back to late 1800's!! The thing on Southton road if it's what I'm thinking of was like a reform school or such!! During 60's and 70' anyway! I haven't read all your posts so if I wasn't much help, sorry!!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Cat

This place is due south of Brooks City Base, and you get some great views of the buildings through Live Search Maps. Here are some views...

Looking East

Looking South

Looking West

Looking North

And I do think we talked about this during the Hot Wells discussion. They are both places I would love to see on foot; but only if I could do so legally...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Cat

This place is due south of Brooks City Base, and you get some great views of the buildings through Live Search Maps. Here are some views...

Looking East

Looking South

Looking West

Looking North

And I do think we talked about this during the Hot Wells discussion. They are both places I would love to see on foot; but only if I could do so legally...

Cheers! M2
OK...there are four locations in question now.

Satx! Thanks...you added some info that helped! I'm looking at the links and the birdseye from Virtual Earth.

1)Satx....comparing all this to the old map I have, it shows a "County Boys School" on Southton Rd in the 1930's. The current street view shows two white brick/gate entrances and a sign near the street that looks like it currently says "Lifetime Fitness"??? Lifetime something? This is north of the "asylum" in question. From the current aerial, it looks like there were other structures that are no longer standing....and the present building looks like it's been rebuilt/new roof? As far as the "asylum" on Farm Rd, I think you're right about it going back to the late 1800's.

2)MMM...the "asylum" on Farm Rd is listed on this map as the "Southton Sanitorium"....which is probably why it gets confused as being an insane asylum. Interesting on the old map......there is a "county cemetery" that is NE of the building. If you look at the aerial, there is a road at the end of Farm Rd that turns NE into a wooded area...then bends to the north. It then makes a sharp turn to the east....and then there is a large clearing. That is where the cemetery should be. From the aerial photo, it doesn't look like there is any signs of it being a cemetery. It just adds a little more creepiness to this abandoned building. It is shown on "county land", so it might have been a TB hospital....and obviously there would have been numerous deaths there from disease. You can get a really close in look from Virtual Earth's birdseye view, and there is nothing in that clearing....just a fading roadway circling it.

Now that I've looked at it closer, it is the same building that we discussed in the Hot Wells thread. Instead of going down Southton to Farm Rd, I followed Shane Rd on the map to get to it from the north..which is the long way around. Now I see why it seemed more remote. It really looks like a building from a movie set in some dark drama and I think it's the same building from the photo I mentioned. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

3) The State Mental Hospital at present (between S Presa, Military and S New Braunfels) is listed as the Southwestern Insane Asylum on the old map.

4) The Hot Wells Hotel/Resort has always confused me as there are also references to Terrell Wells in that area. Terrell Wells is shown on this map as a small community west of Pleasanton Rd. The current map would locate Terrell Wells at the intersection of Ansley and Commercial. That area is all residential now.
"Terrell Wells" was owned by "The San Jose Artesian HOT WELLS Co." but not to be confused with the Hot Wells Hotel on S Presa that we all have talked about.

OK...I think I'm good...got it all straight in my mind at least. I hope I didn't confuse everyone else!

Last edited by wCat; 12-14-2008 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 AM

From Wcat's post:
) The Hot Wells Hotel/Resort has always confused me as there are also references to Terrell Wells in that area. Terrell Wells is shown on this map as a small community west of Pleasanton Rd. The current map would locate Terrell Wells at the intersection of Ansley and Commercial. That area is all residential now.
"Terrell Wells" was owned by "The San Jose Artesian HOT WELLS Co." but not to be confused with the Hot Wells Hotel on S Presa that we all have talked about.

OK...I think I'm good...got it all straight in my mind at least. I hope I didn't confuse everyone else!

Cat, there was a Terrell Wells Resort or Sanitorium and a Harlandale Resort
or San. I'm betting (I've seen the postcards depicting these) that the Terrell Wells resort was where the present day Terrell Wells Elementary and McCollum High sit!! These two schools take up nearly a square block! When I was young there was a sulphur spring fed pool walled in all sides. This was known as Terrell Wells swimming pool!! It stank and we called it terrible smells!! Sulphur stunk of course!! Across the street (Hutchins Blvd) there was a two story rock bldg. with palm trees in front. For years I've figured that was a bath house at one time! I've seen San Jose marked on the maps before. The RR had a sign behind H.B.Zachry's on Hutchins at the RR track. It indicated San Jose!! These schools are bordered by Formosa St. on the south and Hutchins on north!! Between Pleasanton Road and Commercial. Ansley is a block or two south of Formosa!! There's a friend of mine over here that says he recalls a water outfit at Pleasanton Rd. at Petaluma Street! Hope this was some help.. Just guessing on Terrell Wells Resort and have no clue where the Harlandale Resort may have been!!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-14-2008 at 01:22 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 AM

I swear, this has to be one of my favorite threads on CD-SA! I learn more from the folks on here than I could ever wish for! Thanks for all the great info!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
From Wcat's post:
) The Hot Wells Hotel/Resort has always confused me as there are also references to Terrell Wells in that area. Terrell Wells is shown on this map as a small community west of Pleasanton Rd. The current map would locate Terrell Wells at the intersection of Ansley and Commercial. That area is all residential now.

Cat, there was a Terrell Wells Resort or Sanitorium and a Harlandale Resort
or San. I'm betting (I've seen the postcards depicting these) that the Terrell Wells resort was where the present day Terrell Wells Elementary and McCollum High sit!! These two schools take up nearly a square block! When I was young there was a sulphur spring fed pool walled in all sides. This was known as Terrell Wells swimming pool!! It stank and we called it terrible smells!! Sulphur stunk of course!! Across the street (Hutchins Blvd) there was a two story rock bldg. with palm trees in front. For years I've figured that was a bath house at one time! I've seen San Jose marked on the maps before. The RR had a sign behind H.B.Zachry's on Hutchins at the RR track. It indicated San Jose!! These schools are bordered by Formosa St. on the south and Hutchins on north!! Between Pleasanton Road and Commercial. Ansley is a block or two south of Formosa!! There's a friend of mine over here that says he recalls a water outfit at Pleasanton Rd. at Petaluma Street! Hope this was some help.. Just guessing on Terrell Wells Resort and have no clue where the Harlandale Resort may have been!!
Satx.....great info! I'm sure it will lead to some great research. I think it's interesting that "San Jose" was considered another community from San Antonio. On the map it's a good distance from the "mission"...but still in the general vicinity.

MMM...I love the exchange of info too! I did find a reference to Southton Sanatorium being a TB hospital in the 40's. At that time it was an auxiliary hospital to Robert B Green hospital to specifically house TB patients to protect other patients in the main facility. The name disappears in 1963. It must have either changed names, or just closed down at that time. I'm not sure what it was called before the 40's but it was definitely there! There were other sanitariums/sanitoriums for other purposes around town. I'll have to get a list.....it's very interesting.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Satx.....great info! I'm sure it will lead to some great research. I think it's interesting that "San Jose" was considered another community from San Antonio. On the map it's a good distance from the "mission"...but still in the general vicinity.

MMM...I love the exchange of info too! I did find a reference to Southton Sanatorium being a TB hospital in the 40's. At that time it was an auxiliary hospital to Robert B Green hospital to specifically house TB patients to protect other patients in the main facility. The name disappears in 1963. It must have either changed names, or just closed down at that time. I'm not sure what it was called before the 40's but it was definitely there! There were other sanitariums/sanitoriums for other purposes around town. I'll have to get a list.....it's very interesting.
Cat, the Robert B Green had the little T.B. Clinic on the backside NE corner of property until just recent years, They shut it down and may have removed it!! They thought T. B. was about finished !! The T.B. Hospital on Military has been called that on the signs out front as far back as I can recall! Recent years they've added the Communicable diseases or infectious diseases facility whatever! Yes, I've seen photos or postcards of other old late 1800's sanitariums around town. Probably more centrally or more northern located. The Clinic at RBG didn't house people it was just a Clinic and info Center!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Cat, the Robert B Green had the little T.B. Clinic on the backside NE corner of property until just recent years, They shut it down and may have removed it!! They thought T. B. was about finished !! The T.B. Hospital on Military has been called that on the signs out front as far back as I can recall! Recent years they've added the Communicable diseases or infectious diseases facility whatever! Yes, I've seen photos or postcards of other old late 1800's sanitariums around town. Probably more centrally or more northern located. The Clinic at RBG didn't house people it was just a Clinic and info Center!
I read about a lot of TB Hospitals throughout the city at various times. Some were churches turned in to TB hospitals and some converted back to churches....all depending on the outbreak.

Southton was "county owned" and used for indigent patients....and that set it apart. I'm trying to find out what it was called or possibly used for prior to it being named Southton Sanitorium. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio