U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,709,419 times

Advertisements

I have always heard that there is an old abandoned house inside the Roger's Ranch Subdivision that is haunted. Supposedly it's in the woods in just off the hiking trails somewhere, and rather than being torn down when the subdivision was built they left it. Not sure if anyone knows about it, or any history out there or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,380 times
To Majormadmax,
I am 99.9% certain that the photos you're showing are of the reformatory. I spent some time there in the early 60's and remember the place well. The building shown was a house of horrors when I was there, with staff committing beatings and homosexual rapes, and forcing the inmates to engage in gladiator fights.
The place was closed down when a new holding facility was built across the street from the San Antonio police station.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles F. View Post
To Majormadmax,
I am 99.9% certain that the photos you're showing are of the reformatory. I spent some time there in the early 60's and remember the place well. The building shown was a house of horrors when I was there, with staff committing beatings and homosexual rapes, and forcing the inmates to engage in gladiator fights.
The place was closed down when a new holding facility was built across the street from the San Antonio police station.
Hello Charles. Can you explain more about "the reformatory"? It sounds like you are associating this building with the correctional facility nearby. It's possible that it was used for several things over the years. The last reference to the Southton TB Sanitorium I found was in 1963. Are you saying that it was taken over by the county prison system?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I have always heard that there is an old abandoned house inside the Roger's Ranch Subdivision that is haunted. Supposedly it's in the woods in just off the hiking trails somewhere, and rather than being torn down when the subdivision was built they left it. Not sure if anyone knows about it, or any history out there or not?
TX...I don't have any info on that. Do you have an approximate location or address? Even better description of the area maybe? If it has historical value the parks department might know more about either the house or the past owners of the property......obviously the Rogers Ranch....but it might have been subdivided partially at one time.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM

I do not have the exact street address. It's about 200 yards off of one of the walking trails back in the woods. Not really any streets close. It's not that big of a house, probably 500 - 700 sqft. Looks more like an old servants quarters. Many of the residents out there say the place is haunted, and stay away from it. They say there are dead animals out there all the time, could be some punk kids playing pranks though, who knows. I will take a walk out there next time im in that area and see if I can find the closest street, or some sort of markers, maybe I can pull an old plott map or something.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
I was looking at RR on Google Maps and couldn't find anything, but I wasn't sure of where I was looking as I am not familiar with that area. It looks like power lines run along the northern edge of RR, and a quarry to the west. Any idea of where these walking trails are?

Maybe this will require a CD-SA investigative team to go out and uncover the truth!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I was looking at RR on Google Maps and couldn't find anything, but I wasn't sure of where I was looking as I am not familiar with that area. It looks like power lines run along the northern edge of RR, and a quarry to the west. Any idea of where these walking trails are?

Maybe this will require a CD-SA investigative team to go out and uncover the truth!

Cheers! M2

I agree MM! TexAgg...can you at least name an intersection that is possibly closest to the entrance to that walking trails where this is located. We could possibly find a previous owner for that area.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
wCat

Too true! I've been looking all over RR using Live Search Maps and haven't spotted a thing! If this place exists, it must be really small...or well concealed!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Hey guys, I haven't been out there yet, but I have not forgotten. The place is very concealed, and it is fairly small. Like I said I think it may just have been a servants quarters or something from an old ranch. It is "in the woods" also, not close to a street, but I will try to get actuall coordinates on it later if I can get out there. I have a friend who knows a little more about it too, maybe I'll get a chance to talk to him sometime tonight, or tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:15 PM

This may be a silly question considering the forum thread, but does anyone in here watch the TV shows Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures??? I record them on Wednesdays and Fridays every week. I love those shows!! I live on a bit of land, and am somewhat isolated when im out here at the ranch, and I just love turning off the lights out here in the woods and watching them. Call me weird, but the adrenaline rush is great! What I want to know is why hasn't either of these shows done any episodes in Texas? Im not saying Texas is the most haunted state in the US, but I'd argue with anyone who said it's not in the top 10 for sure. I know the guys fro TAPS are from Rhode Island, but I've seen them do shows in California, and Washington State several times. The guys on Ghost Adventures are only in episode 9 or 10 or so, but they have traveled to a few states already too. It would be very interesting to see them do something at one of our San Antonio locations, or one of the Galveston locations, there are just so many in Texas. I went on the Ghost Adventures website and there is a link where they ask the public where they should investigate, and I left a reply. Anyway....just something I was thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or