U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 19,356 times

Advertisements

Ok, I just spent the last hour or so going over this thread. Some interesting reading, and most of you have been to the same places that I have found. As far as you guys talking about the terrell wells resort I can tell you exactly where it is at, or was at. Terrell Wells Middle school, not elementary school, is located adjacent to McCollum High School. I know because I went to both of them, and graduated from McCollum. In my Junior and Senior year I was a lifeguard at the city pool, which was located at the Football field house on Hutchins St. The stone house across the street was not a bath house for the pool by the way. A friend of mine lived in that house, and it had been in his family since the 30's. Anyway back to the pool. Next to the pool and field house, was the tennis courts for McCollums tennis teams. I had always heard about the Terrell Wells swimming pool from the 50's and that is why it was called Terrible Smells Middle School. No one seemed to know where it was at. Well one day after we closed up the pool, which the city ran during the summer for public use, I was hosing down the side of the pool between the pool and the tennis courts. There was a big steel grate on the cement which I or anyone ever gave any thought too, but the water was running down into the solid steel cover which only had one hole in it. I leaned over and looked into the hole and a the beam of sunshine shown down into what appeared to be a large opening under the grate. So I lifted it off, and to my surprise inside was the old terrell wells pool. The city, sometime in the late 60's, placed a fiberglass pool into the deep end of the old sulfur springs feed pool, and shored up the sides from inside the deep end of the pool. Looking to the left, where the tennis courts were, they had filled in the rest of the pool with fill and cement. I jumped down into the old pool and you could still see the depth markers on the wall, and yes still smell the sulfur. I was amazed at what I had found to say the least.
Since then I noticed that even the old field house pool is closed and filled in, so any remnants probably don't exist anymore of either one. The sulfur pools at the Hot Wells Hotel were a totally different spring that fed thier pools, as that was clear over on South Presa.
On another note the Donkey Lady bridge was also known as the suicide bridge back in the 70's as there were alot of teens that committed suicide out there. I know because one of them was a friend of mine who hung himself from the bridge over his stupid girlfriend, and another one guy that I knew from school, got drunk and hauled ass purposely down applewhite till he got to the bridge and intentionally drove off of it doing like 80 or something. Pieces and parts were all that was left. I had heard of alot of other misfortunes on that bridge but I can't confirm those.
If you want to see some real haunted stuff go to the San Jose burial park. That place is loaded with full bodied aparitions, voices, noises, and whatever else you might think. Yes it's the one next to Stinson air field. There is a gate that is for foot traffic, not cars, and that leads down to a road which goes back to the bottomless grave. It's a mousolium which during the day has a white marble floor, but at night the floor is gone. Pretty wierd, but be careful, as it I'm sure now if you got caught you would go to jail, but back then no one messed with you other than to tell you to move on. But if you go on the side of the Harlandale football stadium which is next to San Jose and sit out there on or after dark chances are you'll get an eye or earfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
moparrush

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, thanks for two great posts! I am envious as I am not native to San Antonio (retired USAF myself) but we have adopted this city as our new home and we love it here! A while back I took my wife and kids to as many of the haunted places that were listed in this forum as I could find, and it was a great family day! As you know, you can no longer go on the Hot Wells property; so I am very jealous that you not only got to explore it but that you were able to before much of the destruction occurred. It's too bad you weren't able to take pics, as photos of the place are few and far between; but hindsight is always 20-20 vision. That is why I try and take pics of everything old or interesting these days, as you don't know how much longer some places will be around. I've already seen too much destruction of what I consider to be San Antonio's history over the ten years since we first moved here (we had a three year break to go to Belgium). The old ice house at Culebra and 1604 that is now a Jim's restaurant is a prime example, I used to drive by it all the time and contemplated stopping there; but it was just something I never got around to. Now that it is gone I regret not doing so.

Anyhow, maybe when you get a chance you can start that book you were talking about! My first visit to San Antonio was 1981 for basic training, and I came back a few years later for AFROTC field training; so my first visits weren't under the best of circumstances. But after we were stationed here for three years we really got out and saw a lot of the place, and we liked what we saw. This city and surrounding area is rich in history, and we need to embrace it and not let it disappear through rampant over-development!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 AM

28 posts, read 108,929 times
Default A Haunting we will go...

Hi everyone...

I was wondering,would you all like to get together and just talk about the different haunted areas in SA? Maybe we can go on a haunt one night or day.. and check out them out.I am off for the summer and would like to go on a Haunt before school starts up again.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

57 posts, read 143,319 times
Moparush,

REF: "I left San Antonio in my early twenties back in 1984, and joind the Navy. I retired back in 2006, and moved back to San Antonio in 2008."

What was your rate/rank? Hubby and I joined the Navy in OCT 1985 and retired in 2006 also. He enlisted in San Antonio. You can DM me so we won't hijack this thread.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM

897 posts, read 2,614,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuezday14 View Post
Hi everyone...

I was wondering,would you all like to get together and just talk about the different haunted areas in SA? Maybe we can go on a haunt one night or day.. and check out them out.I am off for the summer and would like to go on a Haunt before school starts up again.

Thanks
Where would you like to go haunt? We took a ghost tour that was in the NEISD continuing education catalog that was pretty cool back in the late 90's...

Docia Williams has these suggestions:
A Haunted City (http://www.yourneighbornetwork.com/satx/sahauntedcity.htm - broken link)

Then there's this one:

Ghost Hunts Of San Antonio, San Antonio Ghost Tour, San Antonio Ghost hunt, Alamo City Ghosts, Ghost hunt San Antonio, The Alamo Ghost,Visit San Antonio - San Antonio Ghost Hunt Schedule

One of the local tours had some bad reviews, but I don't remember which one it was.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 AM

87 posts, read 295,547 times
One of the best views of Hot Wells is from across the river at one of the county parks (the one with the cover, for toddlers/preschoolers). You'll need binoculars or a good telephoto lens.

I'd heard off-hand once someone refer to DLB as 'suicide bridge'. That whole area still has a menacing feel to it, even with all the 'live' activity and the new bridge. Yes, I got the cajones and drove out there after perusing it with Google Earth. I had to go by Loma China cemetery, and yep, the 'guardian' thingy is still there. It didn't seem to like the way I crept by, either!

I'm not sure what it is about that area and spirit activity. A funny (now!) secondhand story a friend told me:
He was waiting at the bus stop when it used to be right next to the foot-gate into Mission Burial Park by Stinson one night. He didn't like sitting between two cemeteries, but it was either that or walk five miles home. He hears the latch of the gate click open and watches the gate suddenly swing out toward the road, as if someone were leaving the cemetery, then swing shut and latch. He said he sprinted all the way down the road (99th?) to Roosevelt!

I'd be up for a ghost tour of south SA; it would be interesting to see what could be captured at San Jose (outside the fence, of course).

One southeast side ghost I haven't seen mentioned is 'Hobo Joe'. Supposedly, a fire swept through three boxcars in the summer of 1932, killing a hobo known as Joe; his remains weren't found afterward. His screams are said to be heard near the railroad tracks where this happened at 11:45 each night.
I still need to find out where I can look through papers from then to find out anything.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 AM

173 posts, read 539,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles F. View Post
After further research I am now 100% positive that the place is the old Southton School For Boys. I stayed on the left side of the largest building in the photos. It was the non functioning recreation room.

The place was notorious for its ill treatment of its charges, and when the new facility was built in downtown S.A., Southton was shut down. Eventually a new facility was built next door to Southton, and the downtown facility was discontinued.

I called a friend who is now retired from the fire dept., and he told me that after Southton was closed it was used for a short time by the fire dept to store records. It was never used for training.
Because of its remote location they were unable to prevent break-ins, so they in turn abandoned it.

It was NEVER a TB hospital, an insane asylum or home for indigent elderly. There is a stone plague inbedded in the wall of the largest building, clearly stating that it was built in 1915 as a juvenile facility for boys.
This is partially true... The Southton Home for Boys was built alongside the (much larger building) Home for the Aged at the same time (1915) and a TB hospital was built at the same site on the other side of the Home for the Aged.

Quote:
A few days ago I was discussing the place at length - what it was like there, so I don't want to go into it all again. Suffice to say that it was a really terrible place, with all sorts of crimes being commited by the staff against their charges. Rapes and beatings were commonplace.

Southton was not a long term confinement facility when I was there. Boys stayed from a few days to several weeks, until their cases were adjudicated. Then, they were either released, or sent to Gatesville.
There were no educational facilities there that I know of. In fact, during my stay there I never even saw any reading material. The recreation room, where I stayed, had a non functioning television, but it didn't mater, as no one was allowed in there anyway. It was used only to house inmates during overcrowding.

When I arrived there they took my shoes, socks and belt (the outside of the building was overgrown with stickers, so taking your shoes and socks hindered escaping). They issued me a worn blanket and a thin mattress, then frog marched me to the rec room, where I remained until my release four days later.
Because my uncle was politically connected, I didn't suffer the abuse the other inmates did, but I observed it.
Other than feeding me, taking me to the toilet or showers, the staff had no contact with me. In fact, they didn't even speak to me.
The morning I was released, my uncle and a lawyer showed up, and their first act was to inspect me for bruises and to ask me if any staff members had mistreated me. The day shift staff stood silently as I replied.

I never returned to Southton.

I'm presently conducting a search to find others who were incarcerated there. I would like to find out what their experiences were. My preferential treatment there was not the norm, and I'll be forever grateful to my late uncle for reaching out and calling in markers.
Absolutely fascinating. I would love to speak with you either in PM or through other means as Ive been working on a history of the facilities there to include the Home for Boys, Home for the Aged and the TB hospital. There is a lot more information on the area than what you might imagine.

Steve

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrush View Post
Ok, I just spent the last hour or so going over this thread. Some interesting reading, and most of you have been to the same places that I have found. As far as you guys talking about the terrell wells resort I can tell you exactly where it is at, or was at. Terrell Wells Middle school, not elementary school, is located adjacent to McCollum High School. I know because I went to both of them, and graduated from McCollum. In my Junior and Senior year I was a lifeguard at the city pool, which was located at the Football field house on Hutchins St. The stone house across the street was not a bath house for the pool by the way. A friend of mine lived in that house, and it had been in his family since the 30's. Anyway back to the pool. Next to the pool and field house, was the tennis courts for McCollums tennis teams. I had always heard about the Terrell Wells swimming pool from the 50's and that is why it was called Terrible Smells Middle School. No one seemed to know where it was at. Well one day after we closed up the pool, which the city ran during the summer for public use, I was hosing down the side of the pool between the pool and the tennis courts. There was a big steel grate on the cement which I or anyone ever gave any thought too, but the water was running down into the solid steel cover which only had one hole in it. I leaned over and looked into the hole and a the beam of sunshine shown down into what appeared to be a large opening under the grate. So I lifted it off, and to my surprise inside was the old terrell wells pool. The city, sometime in the late 60's, placed a fiberglass pool into the deep end of the old sulfur springs feed pool, and shored up the sides from inside the deep end of the pool. Looking to the left, where the tennis courts were, they had filled in the rest of the pool with fill and cement. I jumped down into the old pool and you could still see the depth markers on the wall, and yes still smell the sulfur. I was amazed at what I had found to say the least.
Since then I noticed that even the old field house pool is closed and filled in, so any remnants probably don't exist anymore of either one. The sulfur pools at the Hot Wells Hotel were a totally different spring that fed thier pools, as that was clear over on South Presa.
On another note the Donkey Lady bridge was also known as the suicide bridge back in the 70's as there were alot of teens that committed suicide out there. I know because one of them was a friend of mine who hung himself from the bridge over his stupid girlfriend, and another one guy that I knew from school, got drunk and hauled ass purposely down applewhite till he got to the bridge and intentionally drove off of it doing like 80 or something. Pieces and parts were all that was left. I had heard of alot of other misfortunes on that bridge but I can't confirm those.
If you want to see some real haunted stuff go to the San Jose burial park. That place is loaded with full bodied aparitions, voices, noises, and whatever else you might think. Yes it's the one next to Stinson air field. There is a gate that is for foot traffic, not cars, and that leads down to a road which goes back to the bottomless grave. It's a mousolium which during the day has a white marble floor, but at night the floor is gone. Pretty wierd, but be careful, as it I'm sure now if you got caught you would go to jail, but back then no one messed with you other than to tell you to move on. But if you go on the side of the Harlandale football stadium which is next to San Jose and sit out there on or after dark chances are you'll get an eye or earfull.

Mopparrush, thanks for a great post. I grew up on the southside and I have been to Terrell Wells swimming pool many times. It had a really cool swing in the middle and a hugh slide that went into the pool. It was owned by a German who did not want to intergrate his swimming pool in the 1950's. Instead he closed his doors.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM

28 posts, read 108,929 times
Hi,

I went on that tour but I was not that impressed with it.We didn't get to go inside the places.We just stood outside while he talked.He brought some of his equipment and we passed it around.

I am looking for people that just want to get together and go to different places.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,614,019 times
The tour we took with NEISD program was a good one. We went into the buildings, listened to the employees and had a great time. They took us to a room in the Gunter Hotel where some guy had killed and dismembered another person. LOL! Crowded us all into the bath area and then told us the story! Went to the Menger where we toured the lobby, upstairs and bar - all haunted places. Night manager told us how the ghosts of a lady sat in the lobby and how the doors would open when there was no breeze. The tour was a walking tour of downtown, and I believe we also went to the Alamo, Sp. Gov's palace and maybe one other place. I don't think they offered it except in the fall catalog, and maybe not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or