Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times

Advertisements

The truly sad part is....the employees that showed up to boarded up stores. Barnacle Bill's always had their starting wage posted on their spinner sign outside, and for fast food, they were very generous, IIRC. It would have been hard for the employees to match that wage in a similar food establishment in SA. I want to say it was $9 or $10 an hour.....which is huge here for fast food. Maybe payroll was one of their problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM

37 posts, read 126,635 times
I have a "theory", backed up by an actual "family member" (i.e sister in law) of the Miller's. Vivian Miller (a daughter of Bill) ended up married to Louis Vance, they ended up opening the very successful Barnacle Bill's (along with money from the Miller family)... years later...an ugly divorce was about to erupt but instead of it becoming part of the gossip mill, the family decided to dissolve all Barnacle Bill's, split it up, pay off people & shut them up! The Miller's did not want to air any dirty laundry to the public, that's for sure!

Yes Barnacle Bill's paid well, but so does Bill Miller's... especially on the north side! Although I can tell you first hand, it is very hard work, with the added stress of having the founding family members (and all their off shoots) just a stones throw away from your store!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Its a shame they closed up, the food was pretty good.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM

137 posts, read 283,881 times
ok maybe the place in alabama is not related at all then. It was not fast food seafood. To be honest with you when I hear similar to sea island, I do not think of good seafood. IMO

Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM

75 posts, read 361,979 times
The food was not that great. Little pieces, big prices. Plus they took the fountain drink machine away and started charging for refills. The only thing I liked was the shrimp gumbo and I still miss it.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 AM

220 posts, read 680,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
The story that I heard...which may or may not be "rural" legend is that the younger generation (believe the grandsons) of the original Mr. Bill Miller were running the Barnacle Bills, and the sons are still running Bill Millers.

There was some sort of riff in how things were being done, very well likely related to the above mentioned bad fish/ getting sued over child being ill info above (I just heard this part from you guys though, so I am assuming it could have a connection). At any rate, the grandsons got tiffed and decided to shut down with no notice to anyone, including as some have mentioned current employees that showed up to a boarded up restaurant.

It's amazing to me that a restaurant being sued over one instance of illness would cause them to shut their doors. It seems more likely there was internal feuding going on with the management of the restaurants.

I am sad they left....I miss their gumbo. I can't get decent (and less expensive) gumbo anywhere in town. People want to do gross things like put bell peppers and onions in it.

An article in the E-N said that Barnacle Bill's was closed by the IRS for unpaid taxes.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdude View Post
An article in the E-N said that Barnacle Bill's was closed by the IRS for unpaid taxes.
How long ago was this article? Seems like the owners of Barnacle Bill's never publicly stated the reason they closed other than "we were no longer interested in running the business".

I did a search on MySA for the IRS closure of Barnacle Bill's, but came up empty. Did the IRS ever auction off BB's former assests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio