Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,947 times

Advertisements

I think I have told you this before - but I bought where I did when the toll road was coming. I made that decision because of the toll road - not inspite of it.

While I agree that there are better long term investments - this is one section that I think is necessary - no matter how you slice it.

thinking about how much damage is done environmentally due to the current congestion. Isn't that their beef? Environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
I understand, but there was never any guarantee (and there still isn't) that the toll road would be constructed in a timely fashion. I really do appreciate the fact that you're pro-toll; at least you're willing to pay for the infrastructure that you're going to use. But too many people think these sorts of things should be "free", which is to say "paid for by someone else".

As far as AGUA's motivation, I would guess that whatever damage is currently being done to the environment as result of congestion is insignificant compared to the damage that will result from continued development over the aquifer. This group has a "big picture" perspective about most issues. They're not particularly interested in compromising. And, in this case, I agree that if we invest public funds in making sprawl more convenient, we will create more sprawl.

I understand that there are people who clearly prefer the sprawl arrangement. But for the first time, (as a result of fewer public monies available for highway projects) those folks are having to reconcile that preference with reality.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
This is just pathetic. Once again someone is trying to screw San Antonio for forward thinking. What’s new.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I think the whole issue of 281 is funny,
especially when you drive through I-35 that has only 6 lanes in San Antonio even though is a major commerce corridor.

You drive through any other city.... well, even New Braunfels, has 8 lanes.

Last edited by Dopo; 04-30-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 AM

898 posts, read 2,562,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm going to invite this group to my back yard this weekend to watch me seek out and stomp every single beetle I see.
Sounds good...I'd love to do the same thing. These are the same people (If I recall) that stopped PGA village a few years back. It made me angry then, does now too. Just let us have the freaking interchange.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 AM

97 posts, read 340,735 times
You've got to love it...

I'm sure whatever new road infrastructure that is being built, regardless of it's location, is endangering some type of insect or salamander or whatever. For some reason the 281 corridor is always being targeted...

It's a shame that the stimulus money is now at risk due to this.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
I can't even begin to tell you how sick and tired I am of environmentalists protesting this and that for their own causes. It's so silly. In case they have forgotten: US 281 is congested and needs upgrading. Now! The San Antonio region needs many of its roadways improved so mobility will be better for locals and travelers. Let's get the roads and connectors built, folks.

Maybe those same environmentalists would rather have congestion than cooperate with TXDOT. This is the big city, and freeways, direct connects, and tollways are a big part of living in the big city. If these protesters don't like it, then they can move to Luckenbach, for all I care. They don't have interchanges way up there.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM

475 posts, read 1,093,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You might not agree with their perspective (there's plenty of AGUA positions/tactics that I disagree with), but it's hard to argue with the statement that this project would "subsidize and exacerbate sprawl". This interchange would absolutely encourage more sprawl development in this area. No doubt about it.
I am sorry, but I do doubt it. The sprawl is already there. 1604 already exists. It is one thing to block/protest extending/widening road arteries north of 1604 (281, Blanco, Stone Oak, Hardy Oak, Bulverde, etc.), expansion of which would make coming/going further out easier and encourages more development. This specific interchange, as will be built with stimulus funds, tries to fix a problem that already exists on moving traffic east and west on 1604 from 281 and vice versa, but only going toward/coming from the city.

In fact, AGUA seems to be okay with the Superstreet as short term solution... well wouldn't any traffic relief on 281 north of 1604 compared to current status quo encourage further development?

The real issue is that development has already been allowed to move forward without infrastructure already in place over the past couple of decades. You want to slow sprawl? Work to insist that any development come with major infrastructure investment (impact fees) by private developers and major mitigation..or try to work to freeze further development over the acquifer... or at least minimize it and make it expensive. That might be an incentive encouraging more vertical solutions closer to the core of the city.

Last edited by datacity; 05-01-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 AM

475 posts, read 1,093,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think the whole issue of 281 is funny,
especially when you drive through I-35 that has only 6 lanes in San Antonio even though is a major commerce corridor.

You drive through any other city.... well, even New Braunfels, has 8 lanes.
That is why:

a) adding new toll lanes to IH-35 in that area is still in the plans, though of course nothing is ever guaranteed.
b) SH130 will likely continue to be extended south from Seguin to IH-35 outside of San Antonio and north to IH-35 past Waco. Trans Texas Corridor isn't completely dead?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
I am sorry, but I do doubt it. The sprawl is already there. 1604 already exists. It is one thing to block/protest extending/widening road arteries north of 1604 (281, Blanco, Stone Oak, Hardy Oak, Bulverde, etc.), expansion of which would make coming/going further out easier and encourages more development. This specific interchange, as will be built with stimulus funds, tries to fix a problem that already exists on moving traffic east and west on 1604 from 281 and vice versa, but only going toward/coming from the city.

In fact, AGUA seems to be okay with the Superstreet as short term solution... well wouldn't any traffic relief on 281 north of 1604 compared to current status quo encourage further development?

The real issue is that development has already been allowed to move forward without infrastructure already in place over the past couple of decades. You want to slow sprawl? Work to insist that any development come with major infrastructure investment (impact fees) by private developers and major mitigation..or try to work to freeze further development over the acquifer... or at least minimize it and make it expensive. That might be an incentive encouraging more vertical solutions closer to the core of the city.
Of course, the sprawl is "already there". But spending more public monies on more traffic infrastructure will make the construction of more sprawl even easier. One of the most powerful disincentives for moving to this area is the horrible traffic, and this interchange is a huge part of that.

I don't believe public monies should be spent on removing that disincentive (especially when you consider how unsustainable and expensive sprawl-based development is). We really can't build our way out of this problem, to paraphrase T. Boone Pickens. And while I dislike sprawl for a number of reasons, what irks me the most is that it requires massive public subsidies (in the form of highway/road infrastructure) to function. People are starting to realize this, which is why new highways in other cities have taken the form of toll roads.

Your proposed to solution to slowing sprawl is a nice idea, but cities in Texas don't have the authority to charge impact fees for highway construction, or to regulate growth (in any meaningful way) outside their municipal boundary. In many cases, properties with vested rights are exempt from ordinances/codes even if they're in the city limits. Cities in TX don't have many tools in their toolbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio