Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

46 posts, read 183,351 times

Advertisements

Hi All...

Can anyone who does their shopping at the Commissary tell me how their
prices compare to HEB? I'm especially curious about organic produce and meats as well as gluten free foods. We are moving there the first week of July.

Thanks,
HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,255,342 times
I don't know how things are now but the last time I was at the Commissary it was Ft. Sam's, and produce was a lot cheaper. Meat too. I don't remember organic prices.

I haven't been in a year or so... my best friend used to take me with her. I was an AF brat and so was she, we met in Jr. High and were both used to shopping on base.. but then I turned 21, and she married an AF guy and would take me with her from time to time. She's since divorced and moved away.

My uncle is retired Navy and just last week was telling me that prices weren't "that good on base" anymore... but take that with a grain of salt as he and his wife are crazy with money and don't live in the real world. LOL. He's all into exotic fruits and foods and I've known him to spend $4 on ONE mango so I don't pay much attention to what he says because he's not shopping for a *family* and has no idea really.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,265,582 times
overall prices are MUCh cheaper, but I don't pay attention to organic stuff, so I can't help you with that. I split my shopping between the commissary and the HEB+ by my house. no need for that other store...

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,375,970 times
Can goods, paper, cleaning supplies all MUCH cheaper....and some great sales, especially the "case lot" ones. Meats are cheaper, and I personally think better UNLESS you are talking the vacuum sealed "seasoned" meats at HEB...then HEB wins.

I don't buy ANY produce at the base at all...just a much better selection at HEB and that is more important to me than the price when it comes to veggies/produce.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,265,582 times
I usually get my produce from HEB because the quality was better. Different types of lettuce (anything but iceburg) are about 4-5 times cheaper at the commissary though.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,810,332 times
I haven't shopped at the commissary in at least 6 months.

I find the quality of meats is better at HEB. I quit buying meat at the Lackland commissary because everything I got tasted like cardboard (although I really don't know what cardboard tastes like). I pay a few bucks more at HEB and never throw any of it away and even end up with leftovers for lunch to take to work. The commissary's stuff---the last 6 months I bought meat, most of it ended up in the garbage because it tasted horrible. And no...it isn't my cooking.

I also agree the produce at HEB is better too.

I have found I'm not spending much more on groceries by shopping totally at HEB.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,882,779 times
The wife does all the shopping, but tells me it is much cheaper than HEB. It doesn't have as much variety; but the prices are much better. She says the meat is comparable to HEB but cheaper, and they do have some gluten free items in the health section. Now that the kids are out of school, she'll probably shop there more.

On the other hand, my mother, who shops at a Navy commissary in Florida all the time, says that prices have been noticibly increasing. Most likely due to the cost of gas, but as she is within a 10-15 minute drive to her commissary, she still finds it worth the trip. We are a half hour/17 miles away.

But I will also add that I prefer HEB and Target over WalMart, but the latter is cheaper. I just hate going into that store sometimes...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,070,050 times
In the 3 yrs we have been here, I've probably used the commissary four times. It's just not worth it for the gas and distance to me-- especially since the selection is so limited. I use HEB and SuperTarget, although I wish we had a Whole Foods Market over here.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 AM

213 posts, read 565,687 times
Commissary at Lackland barely has gluten free anything, there meats are not what you can get at HEB or even Sam's Club. Organic produce section is very small, you would do better at central market or whole foods.

The only thing, I can get at Commissary is pet food (cheaper than HEB), some canned items and boxed goods. Normally I send hubby with a list in morning so he can pick up items during lunch or after work, so I don't have to make a trip there, and I only live a few minutes away.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 AM

80 posts, read 188,766 times
The Lackland Commissary is cheaper BUT like another poster stated if you don’t live on base you have to consider the gas and distance. Also, the commissary charges a surcharge and the amount depends on how much you spend, then you have to tip your bagger for taking the bags to your car. So after the nickel and diming it may not be cheaper. Also, the variety of food is sometimes sparse. I found if I’m getting a lot of groceries and I’m on base running other errands it may save me a few dollars in the end but definitely not much.

Good luck and welcome to San Antonio!

Last edited by Reserve at WC; 04-29-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio