Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I want an LVN doing an evaluation to know that the information or examination results are a problem that needs attention enough to call the RN or MD. An LVN may do priliminary information gathering, but what to do with that information is just as important. 8 months of book learning doesn't give an LVN enough time to learn the meanings of the information gathered.
Maybe you missed the part where I said there are clinicals which means hands on training in a hospital or doctor's office. It's not just book learning. Also, the person never answered back if it is the LVN program that is 8 months long or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Also, the person never answered back if it is the LVN program that is 8 months long or something else.
They have nurse's aide and LVN and the website doesn't say how long either program takes and the length of time it take to complete whether attending full or part time.
The only way to know is if someone has completed the program recently that is here on the forums or to call Career Point directly. I would hold my ground if I called, they are known to used sales tactics (pressure) to enroll students.
On the community college route, almost all the information one needs to know about a program is laid out on the website or a quick call with no pressure involved. Classes required, class schedules, admissions requirements, etc. are easily known without having to go through a interrogation first.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 AM

229 posts, read 672,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Is it the LVN program? That is the program that I was interested in since they have a night program with clinicals on Saturday. They are accredited now.
Sorry, I am unaware of which program she is doing. I might be able to find out. If I do, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,281 times
You should really look into St. Philip's College they have an LVN program. It will be a lot cheaper too even though it will take a little longer. 8 months does not seem like a long enough time to learn all that stuff.

Watch this video on Great Day SA

Not Just A Job, A Career | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Great Day SA

Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
I heart St Philips College, as an alumni, I'm a bit biased.
Turning in your paperwork is of utmost importance; space fills up fast and with good reason!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,281 times
SAC has a nursing program too. I paid around $16,000 for 2 years at UTSA.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM

229 posts, read 672,466 times
It turns out my sister in law is taking the Medical Assistant class at Career Point. I don't know what is "better," the MA or LVN, but 16k does sound a bit excessive for any non-degree program. My wife got her graduate degree for a lot less than 16k.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
I think if you graduate you are eligible to do a commercial.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
I check vitals as a CNA in Austin, surely LVN's do more than that. As a CNA we can also pass meds simply by being certified as a medication aide, so what justifies the extra $5-$10 an hour if all LVN's do is pass meds, take vitals and chart? I do that now at the nursing home I work for. I'm looking at Career Point College vs Austin Community College.

CPC PROS:
* Graduate in 12 Months

CPC CONS:
* Lots of negative reviews (including threats to sue over bad reviews)
* $28,000

ACC PROS:
* $7,000
* Transferable credits when I get ready to go RN
* Potential to get full ride through Capital Idea scholarship (highly invasive of personal life and requires constant accounting of everything with them, they forbid you from taking out student loans)

ACC CONS:
* 2-3 Years to gradute due to wait list and prerequisites
* Keeps me stuck in Austin with a HIGH cost of living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio