U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,055,120 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me about this school. Anyone go there or know anyone who has? Did they/you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,307,663 times
Thanks Career Point

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know anything about it. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
I knew someone (cousin) who did go but it was about 8 years ago. It was not helpful to them and ended up working at a collections job. She was doing the secretarial program and owes a pretty penny back in loans. She now wishes she would have just done a comparable program at one of the community colleges.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
A friend of mine works there as a receptionist. She's putting up with the job so she can put herself (or they can) through nursing school...or CNA school or something like that.

So far this is what I've learned...it's sales. The "admissions reps" are hard sales people. And I think that's the way it is at most professional schools. One of her co-workers was fired for not enrolling enough students. When you call their phone number you'll speak to someone friendly enough who will set up an appointment for you to "visit" with them. The visit is their sales pitch. There is a webcam in the room for them to tape the whole thing. I'm not sure if the sheet says that there is a camera there or not...but before you walk in the admission rep will turn on that camera and try to sell you on the school...and if you don't sign that sheet they're SOL. I'm not sure the purpose of it, but it sounds kind of shady.

I know they're acreddited. A lot of professional schools are acreddited now, or moving towards it. I'm not knocking the school, heck it's paying for one of my best friends to go to nursing school, which is what she wants to do. Just don't fall for the pressure sales. Actually, don't fall for that at any of the professional schools. When I was looking for jobs those popped up all the time. I couldn't/wouldn't ever consider doing that since it was all sales, not selling the school/experience.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,208,879 times
Check on the certifications and accredidation. Becasue it has "college" in it's name does NOT mean it has accredidation for the programs it offers. It is a for profit corporation. For profit means thier goal is to make money. A college has a goal of giving a quality education. Take it from there.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
It is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.

Generally, your "preferred" accreditation is one of the 6 regional accrediting agencies- for this area, it is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Last edited by pobre; 05-03-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: added punctuation

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

355 posts, read 1,243,576 times
The comerciala on tv seem to be be geared towards losers. One of the commercials shows a girl getting out of jail and the judje telling her to go to career point. Another shows everybody getting off the via bus and going to class. Doesnt sound so great.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
One of the commercials shows a girl getting out of jail and the judje telling her to go to career point. Another shows everybody getting off the via bus and going to class. Doesnt sound so great.
Hey, some folks have to use/used the bus to go to class (not at Career Point though)!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
It is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.

Generally, your "preferred" accreditation is one of the 6 regional accrediting agencies- for this area, it is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
I was surprised to hear this, does anyone know if this is a recent development? I could've sworn in the commercials I remember that Career Point was not accredited, and that credits were unlikely to transfer; but since ACICS has recognized them, that's great news for anyone who goes there!

Career Point has always appeared to me to be more of a vocational/trade school than an academic institution, teaching more job-specific skills, i.e. training and not a higher level education. Still, it's a great opportunity for anyone who wants to be more competitive in the job market; and I applaud any effort by a person to better themselves!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I was surprised to hear this, does anyone know if this is a recent development? I could've sworn in the commercials I remember that Career Point was not accredited, and that credits were unlikely to transfer; but since ACICS has recognized them, that's great news for anyone who goes there!
I don't go there, but I looked it up on their website. They now offer associate's degrees, so they needed some accreditation for that.

However, whether or not the credits WILL transfer is a different story. Personally, I would suggest a community college if you are pursuing an associate's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio