U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 22,873 times
Default Should we move to San Antonio TX ?

My husband recently retired and we are looking into moving to San Antonio as it is just too expensive to stay in NJ. We have lived here for over 20 years now and have decided that we must part company as the taxes and cost of living are so high.

Our family consists of my husband and myself, our 3 grown children and my 85 year old mother-in-law. At this point we are not certain how many of our kids will actually move to Texas but our youngest daughter who is still in college says she will go with us.

Although we say he is retired, my husband and I plan on working at least part time in San Antonio. We are interested in finding out what the job market is like in the San Antonio area. We hope to have have about $250,000 to put towards a home and will have a retirement income of about $55,000.

I have a few medical conditions which require good medical care (especially heart), and allergies are always a concern. Our son and daughters may be interested in buying their own homes.

Many thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM

85 posts, read 253,045 times
San Antonio has excellent medical care. In addition to the Medical Center area off of I-10 on the West side they have built up a "Medical City II" in the Stone Oak area with 2 hospitals and just about every conceivable service imaginable in that area.

There should be plenty of houses in your price range up along the north central corridor. I would think Stone Oak would be a good area for you. We just sold our almost 2900 sq ft home in that area earlier this year for around $225,000.

But I would think what you are looking for you should be able to find around Encino Park or Stone Oak area. They are at the 1604/281 interchange. If not at least that's a good place to start looking.

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 22,873 times
Many thanks for the medical and housing info. If it's not asking too much, why did you sell your home?

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 8,940,815 times
as an RN, i can say that you will have access to some of the BEST medical care in the country...some great hospitals in SA!

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM

106 posts, read 304,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
as an RN, i can say that you will have access to some of the BEST medical care in the country...some great hospitals in SA!
Cool little fact - San Antonio is the only city in the nation to host three Level I Trauma Centers (hospitals).

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:47 PM

85 posts, read 253,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knick49 View Post
Many thanks for the medical and housing info. If it's not asking too much, why did you sell your home?
Because we built our retirement home out by Canyon Lake. It's about 25 minutes from our old home. We bought a little over an acre about 3 years ago and finally built on it. My husband retired from the military in '05 and now works for a company on SA. But we lived in that house for almost 7 years. We moved here from Oklahoma in 2000 and fell in love with SA.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Cool little fact - San Antonio is the only city in the nation to host three Level I Trauma Centers (hospitals).
Well, it will go down to two when they close Lackland AFB (Wilford Hall) emergency care and expand the BAMC (Ft. Sam) emergency care in a couple of years.

You might try the far West side. Two hospitals are being built in Westover Hills (near Seaworld), and is not too far from the Medical Center. Lots of good colleges here, but I believe you'll have to live here six months to qualify for cheaper residency rates.

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,020,286 times
We are just moving to SA ourselves and are so excited! One week from tonight we will be there! Come on and join us in SA; we'll 'adjust' at the same time! Medical care is very important to us; my husband had Type 2 diabetes and when I researched the web, SA has some of the very best, if not the best, diabetic care in the U.S.! We built in Alamo Ranch, far west SA. Lots of price points there and the area is developing quickly! Welcome!

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:31 PM

217 posts, read 433,881 times
Though not one of San Antonio's hospitals made the U.S News and World Report's top ten hospitals in the nation in any category at all (published this past spring), I have two relatives that got very good heart care at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio. I would feel confident in their heart care as far as surgeon quality is concerned (my relative got a really great surgeon), even though nursing care in the cardiac ward was horrendous, and I ended up emptying my relative's bed pan myself after asking four times over an hour and a half. There are some really good cardiologists in SA for routine care, too.

Last edited by Robert123; 06-12-2007 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,427,252 times
I am a type one diabetic and have found FANTASTIC doctors here in San Antonio. It was one of the reasons moving was so hard. I had a few world famous doctors at Vanderbilt and was worried about finding the same care here. All fears have been calmed as after 6 months of being here I have a great endocrinologist, podiatrist, and opthomologist. I had an eye surgery today and my doc was fabulous. So as far as health care and diabetes, this is a great place to find good docs. If you need any recs pm me and I will send you some names. Good luck in your move. This is a great city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio