Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM

187 posts, read 945,498 times

Advertisements

Well I can tell you that the Olmos basin is very easily accessible from Olmos Park.

But I seriously think that if the secret school was real it likely existed in the Lukin Academy. I mean all or many of the people who speak of it had ties to the school. It was a military academy which would tie in to any governmental involvement theories, its on the olmos basin area....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Well I can tell you that the Olmos basin is very easily accessible from Olmos Park.

But I seriously think that if the secret school was real it likely existed in the Lukin Academy. I mean all or many of the people who speak of it had ties to the school. It was a military academy which would tie in to any governmental involvement theories, its on the olmos basin area....
On the video you can download from Streiber's site, he clearly says it is on the back of the hill behind the Episcopalian Bishop's residence.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
On the video you can download from Streiber's site, he clearly says it is on the back of the hill behind the Episcopalian Bishop's residence.
You are not talking about TMI? The school was behind St Lukes on the hill.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
You are not talking about TMI? The school was behind St Lukes on the hill.
No, I think
that's a different hill. This hill is right behind HEB Central Market. At its base is the Bishop Jones Episcopal center. Behind it is some new high-end condo called 201 Paterson.

Last edited by GWhopper; 12-02-2007 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,838 times
Man I have been away from SA too long. Left in 89 and the area between Tuxedo, Jones Maltzberger and Nacogdoches was just Lincoln Center where the Albertsons was and what was still existing from Alamo Cement.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Man I have been away from SA too long. Left in 89 and the area between Tuxedo, Jones Maltzberger and Nacogdoches was just Lincoln Center where the Albertsons was and what was still existing from Alamo Cement.
That Albertson's is an HEB now.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
That's one end of the Basin. This "school", if it ever really existed, is on the other end. Closer to down town.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eily71 View Post
I snapped a couple of pictures of the observatory house when I was in SA a few weeks ago. Advance apologies....I am not the best photographer...just lean a little to level the shot lol. Also the original images were HUGE so I played around with sizing and cropping.

I remember this house from when I worked downtown in the early Seventies. Seems there were a couple of other houses as well, but they are no longer there. I may have mistaken the Toltec Apartments next door as other houses. It was a long time ago and the area looks a bit different than it did back then. The trees and other foliage were way more overgrown than it is today and gave it a rather intriguing air. Or it could have been just my overactive imagination lol. I have to admit a house with an observatory was one of the last things I would have expected to come across in the middle of downtown San Antonio.

The first picture is actually the back of the house and was taken from the pay parking lot. I tried to get a front shot, but it didnt work out at all. In the second picture you can just make out the observatory at the top along with a section of the upper floor. I took this one from the parking lot of the Toltec Apartments next door to the house. As wCat said in her post, the house is now in use as a law firm, Carter and Van Steenberg. At least it hasnt been torn down. It still looks to be a neat old place...still intriguing.

Now to try and post the images...

Here is the history of this house: It was built by William Maverick, son of one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Samuel Maverick. Interesting enough, Samuel Maverick was with the Texas forces at the Alamo before the big battle, but was elected as a delegate to represent San Antonio at the Constitutional Convention at Washington-on-the-Brazos. The house was sold to the attorney Henry Carter in 1914. Carter's wife was Aline Carter, the poet Laureate of Texas at the time, as was also mentioned in the "Secret School" book. Aline is the one who built had the observatory built on the roof. Their son, David, now runs a law practice there.

Here is the interesting thing, the architect who built the house was Alfred Giles. Alfred Giles built my church!!! So not only do I have a book that Streiber gave to the guy that was doing research on all the supposed implants and who later died under what may be suspicious circumstances, the guy who built my church also built the house where Streiber (and maybe others) were first initiated into the secret school!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 AM

49 posts, read 271,637 times
GWhopper....you are amazing!!!!! The Observatory House has fascinated me for over 36 years when I first started working downtown after high school. I am so delighted to have information on the place. Thank you so much for taking the time to track it down along with information on other places of interest mentioned on the GBNF thread.

Quote:
Here is the interesting thing, the architect who built the house was Alfred Giles. Alfred Giles built my church!!! So not only do I have a book that Streiber gave to the guy that was doing research on all the supposed implants and who later died under what may be suspicious circumstances, the guy who built my church also built the house where Streiber (and maybe others) were first initiated into the secret school
Wow!!!! Coincidence is a wonderful thing! Maybe there are secret forces at work???

Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eily71 View Post
GWhopper....you are amazing!!!!! The Observatory House has fascinated me for over 36 years when I first started working downtown after high school. I am so delighted to have information on the place. Thank you so much for taking the time to track it down along with information on other places of interest mentioned on the GBNF thread.

Wow!!!! Coincidence is a wonderful thing! Maybe there are secret forces at work???
Thanks! This has all actually been fun. I think I missed my true calling and should have been a historian.

I hope there aren't secret forces at work, I have a hard time sleeping as it is!

Actually the posts I put up on the GBNF thread regarding the Lost Village of Avoca were kind of related to this thread. In the Secret School book's afterward, it mentions that the school was on the site of an old abandoned mill. I have been trying to figure out which mill it was, when Primo suggested it could have been the mill used by Lost Village of Avoca, which may have been in the same area the school was suppose to be in. That's looking very possible now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio