U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM

560 posts, read 805,591 times
Default Good trees to plant at this time of year

Hello, fellow San Antonians.

I have a request for advice: After a long battle, I finally decided to cut down an old, dying magnolia tree in my backyard. Now, the space looks nice and clean, but I'd like to add another tree that is better suited to this climate--and quick to grow. I have at least two pecan trees on the property that are doing pretty well. Should I plant another, or is there something else that might be an even better option for a dry climate, with hot weather, and little water? And that provides lots of shade!

And would it make more sense to plant at another time of the year?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 AM

136 posts, read 283,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Hello, fellow San Antonians.

Should I plant another, or is there something else that might be an even better option for a dry climate, with hot weather, and little water? And that provides lots of shade!

And would it make more sense to plant at another time of the year?

Thanks!
Plant a Monterrey Oak. It is a fast growing tree. I planted one 2 1/2 years ago and it is now about 25 feet tall and provides a lot of privacy for my elevated deck. The best time of year to plant would be this fall so the roots have more time to establish and not as hot.

Google Monterrey Oak for pictures of the tree.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,498,814 times
Beat me to it. Cedar elm (no relation to cedar aka juniper) and red oaks are solid choices as well.

If you decide to plant now you will have to be extra vigilant during the summer to make sure it survives until fall. Honestly your odds for success are probably better then. Personally, I chose to plant in the middle of winter. The trees (live oak and cedar elm) were not so full the first year but look much better this year. Millberger had great prices on large trees in their back lot. Of course for these 20-30ft trees their delivery and planting is strongly recommended.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,545,851 times
Monterrey Oak, Southern Red Oak are good choices.

I've always bought at Fanicks on the SE side of town. Highly recommend them

Fanick Garden Center - San Antonio Nursery and Garden Center

Last edited by RGJ; 05-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 AM

109 posts, read 348,106 times
check this site out for trees that grow really well in SA. The Chinese Pistache is really nice, I saw them at The Garden Center:
Texas Superstar®

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM

560 posts, read 805,591 times
Thanks a ton for the replies! I'll definitely wait until fall to plant.

Once again, this board comes through. Feelin' the SA love!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM

10,167 posts, read 9,668,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Plant a Monterrey Oak. It is a fast growing tree. I planted one 2 1/2 years ago and it is now about 25 feet tall and provides a lot of privacy for my elevated deck. The best time of year to plant would be this fall so the roots have more time to establish and not as hot.

Google Monterrey Oak for pictures of the tree.
I have a 10ft Monterrey Oak,
how big was yours when you planted it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio