Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:55 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times

Advertisements

They are stirring up the sensationalist chili pot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
...and we should also remember the perceptions and ideas of our OWN parents, which many of us disagree with. I honestly feel that the reporter was trying to create an issue with her comments - because I'm sure she had lots more to say that he could have quoted, instead he chose one that he hoped would become controversial.

Just my own perception/take....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
They are stirring up the sensationalist chili pot .
Yeah,
seems like when everybody likes a politician, "they" always find a relative or friend that is crazy and give them the spotlight.
When everybody hates a politician, "they" never talk about anything about that person that is more than 2 years old.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:28 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
GREAT article. I'm all for Castro, as mayor of SA and beyond.

He and his family live a mile away from us, which tickles me no end. I LOVE that he chooses to live inside the loop (loop 410) and that he chooses to live in a nice, middle-class neighborhood in a nice middle-class home.

Keep up the great work, Mayor Castro. There are a lot of people in your corner!

Loved this article I learned plenty of new things about him. That's cool that he lives inside the loop when he could of chosen to live anywhere in SA. I like that he wants to help all of SA and not just inner city areas.

You guys know how when somebody new posts about moving to SA they always ask which are the best schools to go to. Nobody ever mentions SAISD because it's in a bad area and the schools are not that great. Yet the Castro brothers went to SAISD then they went on to Standford and Harvard. It doesn't matter which school you go to because anything is possible when you put your mind to it. As Joaquín said “Julián and I are just two guys from the bad side of San Antonio.” That's what's so great about them. They came from the school district nobody would ever think of sending their kid too. Look at them now they made it big in the political world.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,743 times
And I'm here to tell you that not all of SAISD is "a bad area". Our neighborhood is lovely and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in SAISD. As people moved to the outer 'burbs, though, the tax base has diminished so there isn't as much money as there is in Northside and NEISD.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
Quote:
She said these things years ago, HCR.
Then the "writer" added her comments at an untimely time. I think it's funny how when somebody is offended by a remark everyone tries to defend it, like it's okay.

My father grew up in Montgomery, AL during the racial turbulence and I was raised to respect everyone. If I ever spoke ignorantly about someone of a different race or ethnicity, he would have backhanded the teeth out of my mouth. I don't agree with the tit for tat bs racism that is pervasive in our society today. We have issues/problems in our country that need to be addressed and they will only get solved by cooperativeness and collaboration.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Default A great and very interesting post,

Your father seemed to be a very out of ordinary honest and fair parent,and especially so for the times, given the times and area. Yes, there is I agree, still a lot of hate, fear and ignorance due to a lot of the neanderthal types still out there. It is just that us vs. them thinking, someone always wants to think themselves better or right about religion, race or customs.
The rate of change is slow but it is accelerating and......just like the youngish Old Man says, "Change is Coming".
I knew what you meant, my old man would backhand me or pulled on my ears something awful for being out of line when a kid, also.
I don't know if it was a good or a bad thing but that sort of parenting is gone
nowadays, I believe. They call it abuse nowadays and I guess it was.
Back then it was called - being taught a lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Then the "writer" added her comments at an untimely time. I think it's funny how when somebody is offended by a remark everyone tries to defend it, like it's okay.

My father grew up in Montgomery, AL during the racial turbulence and I was raised to respect everyone. If I ever spoke ignorantly about someone of a different race or ethnicity, he would have backhanded the teeth out of my mouth. I don't agree with the tit for tat bs racism that is pervasive in our society today. We have issues/problems in our country that need to be addressed and they will only get solved by cooperativeness and collaboration.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,140 times
I thought the article was very well written. I didn't really believe the journalist was trying to bait anyone with the mentioning of Rosie Castro. Clearly she was influential to a degree in her children's success and provided a foundation from which they grew. I think she deserves recognition for that. Single Mom, raising two boys in a not so great part of town could have had far different outcome. She had not one, but two kids excel far beyond expectations so obviously this woman is not just some crazy relative. She came from a different time, far more turbulent for Latinos than it is now and many from her generation have simliar views about that time that they still may carry with them today. She was fundamental figure in La Raza Unida, which while I personally do not agree with every single one of their views, I have much respect for because were it not for groups like that Latinos may not be in the political position they are in now. However, I believe the Mayor sums it up well himself; that we, Latinos are not as "burdened" as previous generations are. Perhaps the most inflammatory and disturbing remarks in the article were not from Rosie Castro, but from Samuel P. Huntington and what is referred to as "mass immigration" from Mexico and the creation of "superbarrios." But that is neither here nor there, because whether some people in this country like it or not, clearly Latinos are becoming a forefront in American politics and many are like Julian Castro, mainstream, assimilated, and well educated. Obviously Rosie Castro is not a racist, she is just proud of where she comes from and wanted to see her people be on the same level as their white counterparts.....besides she didnt even teach her kids how to speak Spanish. IMO, that tells you A LOT. Having come from a Father who held simliar beliefs in terms of political and cultural ideology, and yet failed to teach his own children how to speak Spanish properly because he felt it would be a hindrance later on. Now Julian Castro is being taught how to speak Spanish...by a Jewish tutor referred to him by his Jewish chief of staff.

Overall, I hope the Mayor doesn't fall the way of Cisneros, but perhaps having a mother like Rosie Castro will keep him from doing so.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I thought the article was very well written. I didn't really believe the journalist was trying to bait anyone with the mentioning of Rosie Castro. Clearly she was influential to a degree in her children's success and provided a foundation from which they grew. I think she deserves recognition for that. Single Mom, raising two boys in a not so great part of town could have had far different outcome. She had not one, but two kids excel far beyond expectations so obviously this woman is not just some crazy relative.
They put much more emphasis on her political views than on the fact that she raised a very successful young man.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Default oh Yeah, of no consequence- mothers statements

As in Reverand Wright. Just a lot of B.S.
Was the mayor's mother's attitudes and quotes pertinent within the context of the article? For national distribution?
No. Perhaps, however, the attitudes were inculcated. Nah. More irrelevant than Wrights past statements were during the recent campaign? It is just a way for the media to make for a colorful story. Go off topic to make for a more colorful, dramatic, juicy story.
I think the mayor is plenty smart enough to do his own
attitude adjustments. This guy didn't do anything wrong- but lets go ahead and try to smear him somehow, it'll look good in print.
The author of the article built the guy up as presidential fodder and then threw a bomb into the article in order to dismantle him.
Practically in the same breath . They have soiled their
sincerity in digging for dirt, but it sells and makes money.
Business as usual ,slanted, for the Murdoch crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
They put much more emphasis on her political views than on the fact that she raised a very successful young man.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
... Just a lot of B.S.
Was the mayor's mother's attitudes and quotes pertinent within the context of the article? For national distribution?
I rather not give especific examples,
all I know is that I only hold politicians accountable for what they did or said. (and their spouses).

But it's ridiculous to hold a politician accountable for what their daughter, son-in-law, priest, mother, etc, etc. did or said.
If I was held accountable for what my mom or dad said.... I would be 100% politically dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio