U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 AM
 
46 posts, read 164,440 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Who cares? It's her own opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveblue View Post
Who cares? It's her own opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.
Kind of like how I just formed an opinion of the mayor's mom. Hard to express it without getting banned though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveblue View Post
Who cares? It's her own opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

It does matter.

Mrs. Castro has no venue except through her sons. The mayor owes an explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Reputation: 12219
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
It does matter.

Mrs. Castro has no venue except through her sons. The mayor owes an explanation.
When Mrs. Castro runs for mayor, I'll vote for somebody else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Reputation: 6342
I think there IS something to be said for being aware of the ideas/ideals of those that helped to form the people in public office. However, Mayor Castro is not only fairly long out of the nest as it were, but he's also been exposed to lots of other ideas/opinions in that time. I might not agree with all of them, but everything I've seen would indicate that he is a person of his own mind. My parents and grandparents would've been even more provocative in any interview they might have given - so I tend to be more "understanding" of the true import of his mothers' interview. She has her ideas and opinions, and yes - calling it what it is, it's racist in my mind - but it's HER reality, and she's entitled to it. I'd love to meet her and engage her in a one-on-one open exchange, but it would be with respect for her age and opinion. But I'd not hold her comments against her son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
. She has her ideas and opinions, and yes - calling it what it is, it's racist in my mind - but it's HER reality, and she's entitled to it. I'd love to meet her and engage her in a one-on-one open exchange, but it would be with respect for her age and opinion. But I'd not hold her comments against her son.
Ding, ding ding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
 
361 posts, read 821,827 times
Reputation: 247
*Crime everywhere, robbings and assaults occur on a daily basis, tons of murderers and pedophiles still out there un-caught, police back-log of crimes they don't have the resources to even start on is a mile long

*joblessness still a problem even though the city (overall) wasn't hit as hard by the national recession. The # of jobs creates versus the # lost is still a negative number.

*housing market sucks, people still losing their homes.

*Education in this city as a damn joke as the dropout is at rates simply inimaginable when I was in high school 20 years ago. The schools are struggling badly due to the drop-outs, the illegals who send their anchor babies to American schools yet pay no taxes to fund those schools, over-crowding, the economic "white flight," failing teacher standards, etc.

Castro's worries:

*focus on screwing with strip clubs, smokers, and soft drinks


Gotta love the guy's priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
 
361 posts, read 821,827 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveblue View Post
Who cares? It's her own opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

I care if the mayor is the anchor baby son who got a free ride of unearned luxury and ivy league schools just because of the skin color given by birth from a racist mother who imagines herself and her people to be "victims" while living in a privileged state in this city that most will never know.


I had to pay for my college, and had to pay extra "international student fees" and other BS fees so others like the Castros can go for free. I am $25k in debt due to student loans I have to repay. These babies clearly not by virtue of their gradesget a much better education at a better university by no other virtue other than skin color, and they get it for free. I was told to get grades to get into college. Apparently doing such does not matter with people like the Castros when you can just use the race card while simultaneously preaching shame for the country they're using for such a better life.

It must be nice being an oppressed minority with nothing but bitterness and hatred for the people they've used to glide into a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
I care if the mayor is the anchor baby son who got a free ride of unearned luxury and ivy league schools just because of the skin color given by birth from a racist mother who imagines herself and her people to be "victims" while living in a privileged state in this city that most will never know.


I had to pay for my college, and had to pay extra "international student fees" and other BS fees so others like the Castros can go for free. I am $25k in debt due to student loans I have to repay. These babies clearly not by virtue of their gradesget a much better education at a better university by no other virtue other than skin color, and they get it for free. I was told to get grades to get into college. Apparently doing such does not matter with people like the Castros when you can just use the race card while simultaneously preaching shame for the country they're using for such a better life.

It must be nice being an oppressed minority with nothing but bitterness and hatred for the people they've used to glide into a better life.

Where are you from? Maybe I can retroactively oppress you and give you enhanced rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
 
361 posts, read 821,827 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Where are you from? Maybe I can retroactively oppress you and give you enhanced rights.
My grandparents were in Northern Germany caught between German genocide and Russian genocide. Since all but a single child from my mom's family was killed or exterminated (my mom herself), does that qualify me for victim status and the right to make demands for special treatment while treating the providers of that special treatment like crap every step of the way with no gratitude whatsoever?

Well not in this city it doesn't, judging by how much I owe for the college I had to pay for myself, and the increased difficulty in finding a job since the city and the various special interest groups lean on businesses to only hire one certain skin color "for the sake of equality."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top