U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
I care if the mayor is the anchor baby son who got a free ride of unearned luxury and ivy league schools just because of the skin color given by birth from a racist mother who imagines herself and her people to be "victims" while living in a privileged state in this city that most will never know.

I had to pay for my college, and had to pay extra "international student fees" and other BS fees so others like the Castros can go for free. I am $25k in debt due to student loans I have to repay. These babies clearly not by virtue of their gradesget a much better education at a better university by no other virtue other than skin color, and they get it for free. I was told to get grades to get into college. Apparently doing such does not matter with people like the Castros when you can just use the race card while simultaneously preaching shame for the country they're using for such a better life.

It must be nice being an oppressed minority with nothing but bitterness and hatred for the people they've used to glide into a better life.
Unfortunately, life is not fair and sometimes what we deem unfair makes us very upset.
Just gotta work at what you're given and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Quote:
My grandparents were in Northern Germany caught between German genocide and Russian genocide. Since all but a single child from my mom's family was killed or exterminated (my mom herself), does that qualify me for victim status and the right to make demands for special treatment while treating the providers of that special treatment like crap every step of the way with no gratitude whatsoever?

Well not in this city it doesn't, judging by how much I owe for the college I had to pay for myself, and the increased difficulty in finding a job since the city and the various special interest groups lean on businesses to only hire one certain skin color "for the sake of equality."

Equality is beneficial only if you are in the RIGHT "wronged" group. Being wronged in itself is useless.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I think there IS something to be said for being aware of the ideas/ideals of those that helped to form the people in public office. However, Mayor Castro is not only fairly long out of the nest as it were, but he's also been exposed to lots of other ideas/opinions in that time. I might not agree with all of them, but everything I've seen would indicate that he is a person of his own mind. My parents and grandparents would've been even more provocative in any interview they might have given - so I tend to be more "understanding" of the true import of his mothers' interview. She has her ideas and opinions, and yes - calling it what it is, it's racist in my mind - but it's HER reality, and she's entitled to it. I'd love to meet her and engage her in a one-on-one open exchange, but it would be with respect for her age and opinion. But I'd not hold her comments against her son.
Excellent post.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM

220 posts, read 597,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
"They used to take us there when we were school children," Perez told the Times. "They told us how glorious that battle was. When I grew up, I learned that the 'heroes' of the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks and slaveholding imperialists who conquered land that didn't belong to them. But as a little girl I got the message (that) we were losers. I can truly say that I hate that place and everything it stands for."

So if Mexico won what then? Would your son be Major? Are all white people slaveholding imperialists? Reverse Racisim?
Mayor's Mom Says She 'Hates' Alamo - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/23534022/detail.html?treets=ant&tid=26511902566813&tml=ant_ 8pm&tmi=ant_8pm_1_08000105122010&ts=H - broken link)

That's embarrassing!

"The Shrine of Texas Liberty"

We pay tribute to the Tejanos who died defending the Alamo and Texas.

It is important for us to understand that the Tejano Mexicanos who died defending the Alamo in the battle against Santa Anna were only a small representation of the many Hispanics who fought for Texas freedom.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
I am not a big time Julian Castro fan, but in my opinion he is handling the whole thing pretty gracefully.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,320 times
Quote:
I care if the mayor is the anchor baby son who got a free ride of unearned luxury and ivy league schools just because of the skin color given by birth from a racist mother who imagines herself and her people to be "victims" while living in a privileged state in this city that most will never know.

I had to pay for my college, and had to pay extra "international student fees" and other BS fees so others like the Castros can go for free. I am $25k in debt due to student loans I have to repay. These babies clearly not by virtue of their gradesget a much better education at a better university by no other virtue other than skin color, and they get it for free. I was told to get grades to get into college. Apparently doing such does not matter with people like the Castros when you can just use the race card while simultaneously preaching shame for the country they're using for such a better life.

It must be nice being an oppressed minority with nothing but bitterness and hatred for the people they've used to glide into a better life.

I voted for Mayor Castro and I support him (except his position on illegal immigration) but I have to say, your post is excellent!

I'm a fourth-generation Latino who had a B+ average by the time I graduated high school but of course...that wasn't enough to get any free rides or scholarships like Castro (or others) who had a moreso picturesque upbringing that helped them along in school.

My upbringing? No mom in my life, Moving around everywhere, very little money, had to take several city buses at 5 AM to get to middle school (for several months) at 8 AM, a stepmom who was pretty mean, and living well below poverty in a garage apartment for a couple of years. Did Castro go through any of this? NO. I'm not saying he had it very well but he certainly had it better than me.

I went to a consistently under-performing high school with BAD bad teachers (who played favorites and gave bad grades to those they didn't like) who were not as great as the high school teachers at a previous high school I attended in a wealthier part of San Antonio.

You have 25 grand in debt? Lucky you. I have about 80,000 in student loan debt from both of my college degrees. I acknowledge that I could have done things differently to avoid that massive debt. But what's done is done, I can't change it. Now, like everyone, I don't just face a lot of debt but a struggling recession as well.

Still, I'm sick of these colleges automatically giving students, with the highest grade point averages, a free ride scholarship no questions asked!

These impressive grade point averages don't take other factors into account like the adversity one faces versus another, a person's drive, obstacles they've overcome at such a young age, or whether that student kissed butt to get the good grade they got from their "favorite" teacher.

All they see is a high GPA, and, voila they're in with a free ride just like that. It's stupid.

But, that's how it is.

As far as his mom...I don't agree with her position necessarily; she's just from a very different generation.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 05-13-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,409,375 times
Default Well,

The chickens have truly come home to roost when the mex's are getting
all the breaks rather than vice-versa.
This guy has already been recognized as possessing one hell of a lot of talent, so, rather just than spew so much venom ...
You should run for mayor in the next San Antonio election, instead of just complaining and then, maybe, you can end up in the New York Times.
Quote:

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Quote:
These babies clearly not by virtue of their gradesget a much better education at a better university by no other virtue other than skin color, and they get it for free. I was told to get grades to get into college. Apparently doing such does not matter with people like the Castros when you can just use the race card while simultaneously preaching shame for the country they're using for such a better life.
Where's your proof that that Castro got into "... a better university by no other virtue than skin color..."
Or is that a racist comment?

I guarantee that a lot of people think that about me, because of my degree and the way I look.
But they don't know that I could easily fill out 2 pages of my resume with work experience by the time I graduated from college.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 AM

127 posts, read 243,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Unfortunately, life is not fair and sometimes what we deem unfair makes us very upset.
Just gotta work at what you're given and go from there.
true but i can still whine about it. you would too it you were a white minority in a hispanic city with some people stereo tying me that if im white than i must be rich or pay for what others did along time ago. i think affirmative action is a racist law. The one thing that comforts me is that since this law excludes me then i got somewhere with only my brains. I think what the mayors mother said is stupid since so many hispanics have bennefitted from the existance of the state of Texas. If Mexico is so great why are masses trying to leave to come here? Even my hispanic husband knows this. So i will talk about it if i feel like it. Go Texas!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 AM

127 posts, read 243,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I voted for Mayor Castro and I support him (except his position on illegal immigration) but I have to say, your post is excellent!

I'm a fourth-generation Latino who had a B+ average by the time I graduated high school but of course...that wasn't enough to get any free rides or scholarships like Castro (or others) who had a moreso picturesque upbringing that helped them along in school.

My upbringing? No mom in my life, Moving around everywhere, very little money, had to take several city buses at 5 AM to get to middle school (for several months) at 8 AM, a stepmom who was pretty mean, and living well below poverty in a garage apartment for a couple of years. Did Castro go through any of this? NO. I'm not saying he had it very well but he certainly had it better than me.

I went to a consistently under-performing high school with BAD bad teachers (who played favorites and gave bad grades to those they didn't like) who were not as great as the high school teachers at a previous high school I attended in a wealthier part of San Antonio.

You have 25 grand in debt? Lucky you. I have about 80,000 in student loan debt from both of my college degrees. I acknowledge that I could have done things differently to avoid that massive debt. But what's done is done, I can't change it. Now, like everyone, I don't just face a lot of debt but a struggling recession as well.

Still, I'm sick of these colleges automatically giving students, with the highest grade point averages, a free ride scholarship no questions asked!

These impressive grade point averages don't take other factors into account like the adversity one faces versus another, a person's drive, obstacles they've overcome at such a young age, or whether that student kissed butt to get the good grade they got from their "favorite" teacher.

All they see is a high GPA, and, voila they're in with a free ride just like that. It's stupid.

But, that's how it is.

As far as his mom...I don't agree with her position necessarily; she's just from a very different generation.

she may be from a different generation is no excuse. her son is the mayor and she can't see how far things have come? as if those slaveholding imperalist are holding her son back in life. she is an embarresment to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or