Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times

Advertisements

GREAT article. I'm all for Castro, as mayor of SA and beyond.

He and his family live a mile away from us, which tickles me no end. I LOVE that he chooses to live inside the loop (loop 410) and that he chooses to live in a nice, middle-class neighborhood in a nice middle-class home.

Keep up the great work, Mayor Castro. There are a lot of people in your corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
The NY Times Magazine article didn't really change my opinion of Castro one way or another. My impression has been that he is a very smart, very politically astute young leader of Hispanic origin. He grew up steeped in grassroots Hispanic politics, but made it through Stanford and Harvard learning, growing and working with colleagues from all over the country who were largely not Hispanic. This balance implies an ability to see all perspectives - and serve all constituencies - without being handcuffed by the "Hispanic-first" mentality that plagues many activists and Hispanic leaders. Castro has been willing and able to expand his leadership scope beyond racial/ethnic issues into issues that affect us all, including energy policy, sustainability, etc.

I'm sure Castro also picked up on the article's pointed use of his own balanced and noncommittal statements that paint him as almost-overly careful and reserved. It's one thing to be measured and thoughtful, but any political consultant would advise him to cultivate a persona that does not appear politically calculating. Castro's comments seem to shout "I won't make any statement that could be used against me in my future political aspirations."

The profile left me feeling admiration for a smart, hard-working, dedicated public servant with a very promising future. It also left me feeling that Castro has been programmed from birth to be a politician and I can't quite trust the sincerity of his intentions/actions. Smart and calculating would be the two descriptors that come to mind first after reading this profile. He'll need to round that out with a bit of humanity and personal charisma if he wants to be president, regardless of whether San Antonio is the "face of the future of America".

Old 05-07-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't really trust the sincerity of any politician's intentions/actions. They're all calculating...although they aren't all smart.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I don't really trust the sincerity of any politician's intentions/actions. They're all calculating...although they aren't all smart.
I agree! Esp if they go to Harvard or Stanford. lol!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
I think the comments of said mother are intentionally inflammatory and, while she does have the right to speak her mind, quite tasteless and untimely.

All that bs aside, I think Julian Castro is a good man and wants to do good things for the city. We've had some turds as mayor in the past, but he is not one of them. He needs to get some business taken care of in San Antonio.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Regarding his mother, I think we have to remember when she grew up. Times were vastly different then than they are now.

And while we may not agree with her assessment of the Alamo, or of what San Antonio and Texas were like back then, it's HER reality and she's entitled to it.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Forget the Alamo !

It is irrelevant to Julian anyway. For such a young San Antonian mayor to be at a meeting at this level of govt. is quite a dazzling accomplishment in and of itself, as Barack -himself -alluded to by his amusing remarks. It is great.
Any " mothers comments" could have become quite incendiary and damaging if untactfully commented on by our mayor as far as a political
future is concerned. He needs to be neutral on so much racist cannon fodder from both sides. He is both wily and smart, Mexican and Mayor.
May The Rusty Machine of the G.G.L. R.I.P. and I am sure Maury Maverick is looking down grom on high with a smile. McAllister with a frown and look of bemusement, saying "what happened?"
Thanks extended to Maury.
Her comments were right. Rep. A. Lincoln of Illinois rose in the
House to oppose and portray the Mexican-American War as a Land Grab. Arguably,but most likely the greatest future president of the U.S.- told it for what it was just as he did slavery, wrong, immoral. It is all founded on myth,
nothing else. But is a great tourist destination.
There is no point in discussing old issues here, as I have subtly written out
a counterpoint is just a counterpoint, and as the old adage says,"one cannot argrue quietly or reasobly with a fool and there are multitudes of them,everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Because if anyone does, this thread will quickly disintegrate!

Maybe it's best that her comments go undiscussed...

Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
...and we should also remember the perceptions and ideas of our OWN parents, which many of us disagree with. I honestly feel that the reporter was trying to create an issue with her comments - because I'm sure she had lots more to say that he could have quoted, instead he chose one that he hoped would become controversial.

Just my own perception/take....

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
...and we should also remember the perceptions and ideas of our OWN parents, which many of us disagree with. I honestly feel that the reporter was trying to create an issue with her comments - because I'm sure she had lots more to say that he could have quoted, instead he chose one that he hoped would become controversial.

Just my own perception/take....
Once again, I agree 100% with you

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default I believe,

She said these things years ago, HCR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I think the comments of said mother are intentionally inflammatory and, while she does have the right to speak her mind, quite tasteless and untimely.

All that bs aside, I think Julian Castro is a good man and wants to do good things for the city. We've had some turds as mayor in the past, but he is not one of them. He needs to get some business taken care of in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio