Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 03:41 PM

46 posts, read 169,185 times

Advertisements

I'm going to visit San Antonio with my hubby later this month to check some apartments and car dealers. We'll move there later this summer. We're gonna stay in Doubletree hotel Airport due to a very early return flight. We plan to spend the afternoon on the day of our arrival in downtown so we could have a better idea about the city, and then we want to have dinner somewhere nice close to River Walk. I'm wondering
1. Is it easy to find a place to park in downtown area close to River Walk? is it expensive?
2. Could you guys suggest some nice but not very expensive restaurants close to River Walk (we're still students )
3. Do you have any good route to suggest given the location of my hotel?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM

229 posts, read 672,280 times
Parking near the River Walk is fairly easy. Aside from the plethora of parking meters there are within a block of the RW, there are also a variety of parking garages that charge between $6 and 10.
Fastest way to Downtown is to go South on Jonesmaltsberger until you hit 281, get on 281 going south and exit Commerce.

I personally do not like any restaurants on the River Walk, however, I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM

93 posts, read 358,282 times
The parking garage at the rivercenter mall is pretty expensive IIRC. I think it was $18 for the day? Other places are cheaper, and some places will do the flat rate parking.

My advice about where to eat is to actually take one of the river boat tours- you get a great tour of what restaurants are on the river and it's relaxing.

The mall has a food court which includes things like chilis and hooters, and then there are lots of other restaurants and bars along the river. You just have to see what floats your boat.

I agree with the 281 to commerce recommendation- it will be a pretty easy route. Commerce will take you into downtown.

Have fun during your stay!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the information!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
blueamber - good luck on your apartment hunt/move!!! If you are okay with some walking - you can park for FREE and safely, at the Pearl Brewery and access the riverwalk right there at their facility. The parking under the overpass is well-lit and patrolled by the park police bike patrol. We park there everytime we go down that way, because it is easy to park, easy river access, and we enjoy the walk! We also see the bike patrol officers on every visit there!

There are lots of restaurants on the riverwalk to choose from - I would suggest that you take your appetite and an open mind - and you can view most menus on the outside menu boards, to decide if the restaurant fits your budget, before ever going in

Enjoy your visit!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,214 times
Most parking meters are free after 6pm in the downtown area. Just look at them to be sure. The street down the side of hemisphere park is all meters and a good spot to start from.

As for dining there is all sorts in all kinds of prices. Be warned that downtown is one of the touristy areas and is priced accordingly. So cheap food is often brand fast food. If you look at the dining recommendations for people that live here you rarely see riverwalk dining on the list. The really good for that is downtown is often extremely high priced. It is not often worth it. Eat somewhere else that is good and affordable, then go downtown for the bar scene. But drinking downtown isn't cheap either.

There are plenty of threads for best this or that food in the area. I think this thread was right below one for brisket.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Thanks for those great tips!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM

50 posts, read 270,857 times
Actually, if you exit Houston instead of Commerce (its the exit about 50 ft. before Commerce,) make a right towards downtown, you can find a parking meter or a lot fairly close to the Alamo and a fairly close distance to the Riverwalk entrance through the Hyatt directly in front of the Alamo.
Most restaurants are reasonably priced as long as the alcohol tab is kept down (~$25-$30 for 2.) There are a few exceptions to the over-pricing, but ones like The Original, Mi Tierra and a few others can be kept to the $25-$30 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio