Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times

Advertisements

Right on target! That is so true. I remember those times. We may not have always been angels, but we had some sort of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Right on target! That is so true. I remember those times. We may not have always been angels, but we had some sort of respect.
Yeah - or our parents rebooted it in us!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,729 times
I wouldn't say at 49 I'm old ,but damn times have changed when it comes to some kids (not all since there are more good than bad). It would have been a cold day in Bakersfield, CA if I were to ever play ball, frisbee, tag, ride my bike, or horse, etc. in the vicinity of a vehicle or onto someone's yard. My Dad would have had my ass. It wouldn't matter if it was his car, yard, or someone elses. I was taught to respect the property of others and always treat it as if it were mine.

We don't park in the street unless I'm doing yard work and then its only one car, usually my pickup. I have seen neighbor kids crash into cars with their bikes. I see kids ride bikes over other's lawns, flowerbeds, etc. I've gotten into shouting matches (with Parents) when I have yelled at their kids. Hell they won't. I have caught kids riding their bikes up onto our driveway and almost run into a vehicle or the garage doors.

We live in a Subdivision with a SportsPark larger than many City Parks so there is another place to play rather than in the street. I hate it when I have to go out after kids have played and pick up their trash, soda cans, apple cores, you name it. Some kids are just plain lazy and more than likely they have not learned what respect is. As I stated previouly my Dad would have had my ass and he would have had no problem with a neighbor if I was yelled out for not respecting what wasn't mine.

Oh as far as shouting / pissing contests with neighbors I paid for it once with a ticket by a BC Deputy since I cussed at a neighbor due to his Brat's actions. He was a horse's ass (wait I love horses so I take that back) he was / is just an ass. He didn't assume his kid's actions as being wrong and he ended up calling BCSD.

May the Good Lord Bless my Dad.

Last edited by wellguy; 05-12-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 PM

95 posts, read 205,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I think you are missing the context of the thread. Back when I was a kid (70's to 80's) we played in the street. If we were playing football we stayed far away from cars. Probably not because we thought we might damage them, but there was nothing like running a streak pattern looking back for the ball and then BAM right into a bumper.

The ONLY time you went into someone else yard was if you missed the catch and the ball rolled there. You damn sure got out of their yard fast.

When we played street hockey, you didnt want anything to do with cars because they take up so much room on the street and invariably your hockey ball ended up under a car.

Point is, we stayed away from cars. We didnt want people yelling at us, and god forbid we damaged a car and our parents found out. Same thing went for people's yards.

Today.....kids could care less and many parents seem like they could care even less. Seems to be a huge lack of respect along with a sense of entitlement with kids these days.

I got the point. Back in your old timey days there weren't as many cars nor as many peoples and houses weren't stacked on top of each other... Kids these days who choose to go outside have to work with what they got and unfortunately its not a lot.

San Antonio loves their beloved tract homes.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticMonkey View Post
I got the point. Back in your old timey days there weren't as many cars nor as many peoples and houses weren't stacked on top of each other... Kids these days who choose to go outside have to work with what they got and unfortunately its not a lot.

San Antonio loves their beloved tract homes.
I get your point - but it shouldn't be up to the neighbors to suffer damage to their property because the parents won't supervise their kids. If a kid does damage to my property and the parents won't address it, there WILL be a police report filed.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 AM

76 posts, read 69,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1963 View Post
We have some kids approximately 14 yrs old who are continuosly playing football, baseball, etc in the street.
That sounds ghetto...

Old 05-13-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyandSingle View Post
That sounds ghetto...
Fixated on that word, eh? What's "ghetto" about it? Kids have been doing that for years - and in some of the "upscale" neighborhoods, too. As long as they're not hurting anything/body, who cares? Sure not worth trying to put a label on.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,070,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I wouldn't say at 49 I'm old ,but damn times have changed when it comes to some kids (not all since there are more good than bad). It would have been a cold day in Bakersfield, CA if I were to ever play ball, frisbee, tag, ride my bike, or horse, etc. in the vicinity of a vehicle or onto someone's yard. My Dad would have had my ass. It wouldn't matter if it was his car, yard, or someone elses. I was taught to respect the property of others and always treat it as if it were mine.

We don't park in the street unless I'm doing yard work and then its only one car, usually my pickup. I have seen neighbor kids crash into cars with their bikes. I see kids ride bikes over other's lawns, flowerbeds, etc. I've gotten into shouting matches (with Parents) when I have yelled at their kids. Hell they won't. I have caught kids riding their bikes up onto our driveway and almost run into a vehicle or the garage doors.

We live in a Subdivision with a SportsPark larger than many City Parks so there is another place to play rather than in the street. I hate it when I have to go out after kids have played and pick up their trash, soda cans, apple cores, you name it. Some kids are just plain lazy and more than likely they have not learned what respect is. As I stated previouly my Dad would have had my ass and he would have had no problem with a neighbor if I was yelled out for not respecting what wasn't mine.

Oh as far as shouting / pissing contests with neighbors I paid for it once with a ticket by a BC Deputy since I cussed at a neighbor due to his Brat's actions. He was a horse's ass (wait I love horses so I take that back) he was / is just an ass. He didn't assume his kid's actions as being wrong and he ended up calling BCSD.

May the Good Lord Bless my Dad.

Amen! I agree 100% with you. We pay for a sportspark... the street is not a playground!!! It's a parenting problem; anything goes now. Kids don't have boundaries or rules, let alone consequences for making bad decisions.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,709,195 times
Another thing to consider is that at some point the area schools had to fence off the schools due to vandalism, etc. That's where a lot of us used to play as kids. Never hurt anything, but I guess some did. So, the fences went up.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 AM

.....and rather than punish those doing the damage, we punished EVERYone. Typical "let's make a law" mentality....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio