Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM

12 posts, read 32,705 times

Advertisements

Is it against the law for children to use a public street as their playground? We have some kids approximately 14 yrs old who are continuosly playing football, baseball, etc in the street. Only one of the kids actually lives on the block & they won't play in front of his house. They have already put a dent in our car & are constantly running in peoples yards. We have asked them to go play in the open field by the playground but they say it is not big enough. We have also asked them to then make sure they play by one of their houses so if a car gets hit again, it will be theirs but they won't do that either. They are also out at all hours of the night playing in the street. We have been putting up with it for several months but last night was the final straw when they once again dented our car and then were very rude & thought it was a joke when confronted. We tried to talk to the parents of the kid who does live on the block but they wouldn't open their door. Other neighbors are upset also. So, is there a ordinance or something against this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,998,040 times
I wonder if you live by me. I highly doubt it's against the law but I'm not sure. Do you rent or own your home? We rent and we are moving *does a happy dance*. If you live where there is a HOA take it up with them. Maybe get a group of you together and go talk to them. I don't care if kids play in the street but when they start ruining my stuff it starts to **** me off.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM

872 posts, read 1,846,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I wonder if you live by me. I highly doubt it's against the law but I'm not sure. Do you rent or own your home? We rent and we are moving *does a happy dance*. If you live where there is a HOA take it up with them. Maybe get a group of you together and go talk to them. I don't care if kids play in the street but when they start ruining my stuff it starts to **** me off.
Unless you are in a gated community, it is highly unlikely that your HOA "owns" the streets. Instead, call 311 to file a report about your damaged property. I believe there is also a curfew time for kids.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM

61,028 posts, read 85,838,736 times
I don’t think that there is a law against kids playing in the streets, but there are other laws like about leaving your kids unattended, trespassing, reporting damages, maybe even your HOA rules.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,802,481 times
Are you sure the parent's were home when you went to the house? I would try to resolve the issue with them in a calm, emotionless manner first (might mean more than one trip to their house). Have your neighbors do the same. If you can't resolve it with them there is no way you should have to put up with damage to your personal property, I'd call the police.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I believe there is also a curfew time for kids.
Yes, indeed:

On June 22, 2009, the Curfew Ordinance was revised to make it unlawful for juveniles to be out after 11:00 pm to 6:00 am 365 days a year.
The Curfew has the following features:
· The Curfew applies to persons who are 16 years of age or under.
· The Daytime Curfew prohibits children (without a parent or legal guardian with them) from being out in public between the hours of 9 am and 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
· The Daytime Curfew is not in effect during the summer months of June, July and August.
The Nightime Curfew hours begin at 11 pm and end at 6 am. These curfew times are in effect all year round.
San Antonio Youth Serivces Unit

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Curfews in Nearby Cities
Universal City:
Kids Younger than 18 must be indoors between 12am-6am and also from 9am-2pm on school days.

Converse:
Kids younger than 17 must be indoors between 11pm-6am Sunday through Thursday and 11:59pm-6am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Live Oak:
Kids 17 and younger must be indoors between 11pm-6am Sunday through Thursday and 12am-6am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Leon Valley:
Curfew begins at 11pm Monday through Friday and at midnight on Saturdays and Sundays.

Helotes:
Kids 16 and younger must be indoors from 12am-6am and also must be in school during scheduled school hours.

Hollywood Park:
Curfew lasts from 12am-5am daily for kids ages 10-17.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...jy-jn6rgA.cspx

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM

611 posts, read 2,225,408 times
send them to play on this street

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...rs-street.html

problemS solved

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM

We own our house & there is a HOA. I was able to find that there is a city ordinance against having basketball goals in the street. We usually don't mind the kids playing in the street & that is why we have put up with it for so long but now these kids are getting worse & it seems like every day there are more & more of them. I have no idea where most of these kids live since I only recognize one. There have been 10 to 15 of them at a time playing football in the street & running into cars, etc. When my 17 year old son is also complaining about them, we know it's bad. It's his car that has been dented by these kids. Just yesterday, after hubby got after them for hitting the car again, they quit playing football but began chasing each other around & I watched as one of them jumped on the hood of the car across the street and rolled across it. Like I said, they don't respect anything. One of these days one of them is going to get hurt, either by a car that doesn't see them as they run out in the street or by falling on the bricks that a flower bed is made out of or something else & I bet their parents will be ready to sue anyone they can.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Are you sure the parent's were home when you went to the house? I would try to resolve the issue with them in a calm, emotionless manner first (might mean more than one trip to their house). Have your neighbors do the same. If you can't resolve it with them there is no way you should have to put up with damage to your personal property, I'd call the police.
We know the mom was home. Hubby did tell the kid who lived there to tell his parents we want to talk to them. He's going to try to talk to them again tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio