U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

8,298 posts, read 12,659,380 times
I'll give you credit for being such a strong supporter of a state that is going down the tubes (California), but I still don't understand your incessant need to frequent this forum when you were so adamant about cutting all ties with this place!

By the way, I don't see any of your posts in the LA section of this forum...what gives?

Anyhow, as usual you are myopic in your views of San Antonio. Cheap labor is not a reason people flock to SA, it's cheap cost-of-living! Just because a similar home in southern California costs triple what it would in SA, or anything else for that matter, doesn't make it better. It only makes it more expensive.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with a strong military presence. For one, it pumps a lot of money into the local economy, which has helped San Antonio weather the recent economic downturn a lot better than most places. It also creates a tight bond between the residents and the servicemembers that come here. Many of the latter adopt SA as their new homes due to the friendliness of the folks here, as well as the numerous things there are to do. For many of us, it has such a lasting impact that we choose to remain once our time in the service is over, which creates a broader diversity of residents. SA is one of the most tolerant cities I have ever been in, and even as a minority here I have never felt intimidated or unwelcomed.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of people who visit or move here do love it. It is a wonderful environment to raise a family and there is nothing wrong for those folks to embrace it with such force that it becomes an emotional issue for them. You don't find that kind of loyalty in places like LA, NYC is about the only city that is similar. It is something you either understand or not, but it most definitely exists and it is most certainly not a problem!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
If one "has a few bucks" neither really matters.
Does to me - I MUCH better like it staying in MY pocket, and living in a state that isn't sending IOU's back to their taxpayers instead of refunds.

Oh, wait - that can't apply to us - we don't HAVE a state income tax. My bad!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,877,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Does to me - I MUCH better like it staying in MY pocket, and living in a state that isn't sending IOU's back to their taxpayers instead of refunds.

Oh, wait - that can't apply to us - we don't HAVE a state income tax. My bad!
No, California isn't a place for those with money concerns. SA most certainly is...and it shows.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
By the way, I don't see any of your posts in the LA section of this forum...what gives?
Cheers! M2
I don't live in/near LA.

..and my continuing to post here bothers you how?

It's 'bout time I sent a "coupla" responses, eh?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM

421 posts, read 705,209 times
Quote:
No, California isn't a place for those with money concerns. SA most certainly is...and it shows.
13.3% or so of all Californians live at or below the poverty level. The national average is just at 13.2%

Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
13.3% or so of all Californians live at or below the poverty level. The national average is just at 13.2%
..and what is SA's (or TX) figure? This should be interesting.
I feel bad for folks living in poverty no matter where they are....it's got to be even worse living in California with little money.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 PM

421 posts, read 705,209 times
Quote:
..and what is SA's figure? This should be interesting.
I'm not the one saying high taxes and higher cost of living don't effect the entire population of a state.

I have a feeling there are a few Californians who are concerned about it

Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
I'm not the one saying high taxes and higher cost of living don't effect the entire population of a state.

I have a feeling there are a few Californians who are concerned about it
They should be concerned about it, if they can't afford it. That's common sense, no?

More will move to SA...good luck to them.

We are off topic...sorry.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,223,348 times
Quote:
True. We tend to try to pay our bills, and consider the impact on others. California seems intent on passing any law that catches their fancy, and let others worry how to pay for it.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,588,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
True. We tend to try to pay our bills, and consider the impact on others. California seems intent on passing any law that catches their fancy, and let others worry how to pay for it.
True dat!! Which is why anyone with two brain cells is leaving while they can. Even those that have been loyal to the state for years and years are looking for somewhere where they can breath the air, live in peace and avoid the civil unrest that looms with the state budget imploding on itself. Not happy to see ANYONE have to go thru that. There will be huge problems when retirement/insurance/social services are cut...and unless someone we all know and loves decides to write the check to bail them out, it is only a matter of time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio