U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM

21 posts, read 23,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Not in SA. Try Dallas.
Sounds great & we will look into Dallas. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFromLa2010 View Post
First & foremost, I want to thank everybody for their opinions,thoughts and input. This is very helpful and appreciated. Per my response to Quattro72. I have relatives born and raised in Texas. My older brothers and sisters are from SA. Moved here to Cali in 1968 and I was born in 1969. Unfortunately I don't speak spanish, family does, but me and lil sis don't. Odd? huh. Oh well. I love Cali's weather and beaches but with the economy and all, it's really going down. SCARY! it's even hard to just "Survive" I'm not exaggerating. but it was announced on the city public channel here that $1 million people who were already receiving unemployment benefits have been cut. When, Where and how the heck are they going to get jobs for these $ 1 million people? It's impossible. My hubby is one of the million. F.Y.I. He worked for the City of LA for 10+ yrs. as an Auditor. He is a college graduate with a B.S. in Accounting. Worked for Deloitte & Touche LLP (Big 4), He is an Army Vet. He conducted an Audit for the city of LA and found $3.8 million dollars that were missing from the books. How many salaries would that have paid? Doing his job as an auditor, he reported it to city officials, instead of giving him credit, the powers that be, harrassed, discriminated then fired him. Forgot to mention that some management involved, conveniently and suddenly retired early pretty much at the same time. We fought and fought. No one listened. This went on for 2 yrs. All our savings went to an attorney fees and costs. Didn't do no good. We lost the case, our income, and our home . I almost lost my hubby to a nervous breakdown, but he stayed strong. He amazes me. All we have and always had, that no one can take away is our honor, dignity, family, and most important our health and faith in our Lord & Savior. So it's time to move on to bigger and better things. Like Johnny Cash sang, we have gone through "The Ring of Fire".
P.S. we like beer, wine, etc. good food, good people, good conversation, music and good times. Life is great and definitely too short to worry about the little things. You guys are great!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, V&H, what's wrong with being proud of your home town? I think it's a Good Thing - but then again, since you're from Dallas and browsing the SA forums...
San Antonio *IS* a "poor" city in terms of average income - there's simply no getting around that. That's one of the reasons I've spent decades screaming every time the SA City Council approved spending designed to "increase tourism" - there's just no money in changing sheets and serving food. We've long needed manufacturing and technology jobs, and they are *finally* starting to appear - but we've still got a long way to go.
Then again, SA is probably one of the friendliest and non-parochial large cities in the country. Folks tend to smile and say "Hi!" a lot easier than in other major metro areas, and tell me what other cities can have such huge public parties with so little conflict/fighting?
As to "progressiveness"....well, some of your Dallas media jocks got themselves into some pretty hot water (not to mention Mr. Cuban) with some of their "progressive" cracks about SA and its' citizens as they took shots at their heritage. If that's the kind of humor you find "progressive", please leave me out. I find that folks in SA are fully capable of giving honest insights to the strengths and weaknesses of the community - but when all someone wants to do is take cheap shots, then yeah - batten down the hatches, m'friend, because the storm's a-comin'!!
I'm 4th-generation German - my paternal great grandfather immigrated through Indianola in the 1800's - my maternal side were some of the original German immigrants into New Braunfels. I love the area, have declined any number of offers to relocate for better pay/opportunities - and don't regret it.
Despite the faults, this is H O M E. A foreign concept to some, perhaps a bit old-fashioned - but I can walk through areas of San Antonio and point out bridges, churches and other things that my family either built, donated, or helped with. To me, heritage IS important.
Thank you all and I truly appreciate all the input, thoughts and opinions. And again, there just opinions, as everyone is entitled to one, two and even 3. But like some of you have said. We must take things with a grain of salt. But I do admire and respect your honesty and passsion. I'm a saggitarius, so I know about passion. It gets me in trouble sometimes. My hubby is a Pices and our signs are incompatible, Despite what the astrologist dictate, we managed to beat the odds.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Pfffffffft!!! Both can be easily offset by legalizing marijuana!
LOL!! You guys are great!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
..and what is SA's (or TX) figure? This should be interesting.
I feel bad for folks living in poverty no matter where they are....it's got to be even worse living in California with little money.
We're barely surviving! Even with a college education. There is no middle class. You're either rich or your poor. No in between. We live in a small 2 bdrm/1 bath (approx. 800 sq ft).No yard in San Pedro, CA for $1200 per month. Insane.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
True dat!! Which is why anyone with two brain cells is leaving while they can. Even those that have been loyal to the state for years and years are looking for somewhere where they can breath the air, live in peace and avoid the civil unrest that looms with the state budget imploding on itself. Not happy to see ANYONE have to go thru that. There will be huge problems when retirement/insurance/social services are cut...and unless someone we all know and loves decides to write the check to bail them out, it is only a matter of time....
HEELLLO!!! YOU hit it right on the nail! Well said

Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly Meister View Post
A six figure salary for a senior auditor? I don't think so. But for a manager? Possibly, depending on experience/years in the role. Ever consider making the leap to industry? Big 4 experience is a plus when making the move, and there are plenty of industry jobs here - Valero, Tesoro, NuStar, Rackspace, USAA. And yeah, the salaries in SA are going to be lower than other parts of the country, but as others have said, the cost of living here is also very low. 3000-4000 sq foot homes that would cost millions in other parts of the country are significantly cheaper here.
Will definitely take this into consideration. Thank you

Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM

422 posts, read 879,254 times
San Antonio is very family oriented, so much so that it's very boring. If that's what you want then you will like it here. Plus being hispanic you will feel very comfortable here.

Be aware though that people here are very simple minded, compared to california or any other place with educated people. If you're ok with that then you should move here immediately.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,350,246 times
Well, we welcome you with open arms. Sounds like you are the good kind of folk that belonged here all along...and you have just now realized your mistake and ready to make it right! We are HAPPY to have people that realize how many ADVANTAGES we have to living here join us. Don't forget to change your residency the MOMENT you can and let others pay CA debts in state taxes!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,442,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MvnonuptoSA View Post
Honestly, Texas does not need Californians to move here and bring their 'liberal' way of running things. Why is California in the toilet right now? It's been governed by liberals (both governors and the state legislature) by the Democrats for as long as I can remember (and Arnold is NOT a true conservative, so I'm not even buying that). I read a story the other day about Californians moving to Washington and bringing all their ways and ideas up there and now people in Spokane are not allowed to use DISH SOAP because it has too many phosphates. And now there is a big underground smuggling market for Cascade. CASCADE!!! I surely don't want that to happen to Texas. And this is coming from someone that grew up in Southern California (to my dismay).
Honestly, I don't think that the Calif ppl coming here could be classified as "Liberal", but they're most likely moderate, not as racist,socially conservative as texas (san antonio much less so than other texas cities, imo). I just don't like that they drive up prices EVERYWHERE they go and crowd out the natives. They created the housing mess. they should live in it and stay in Calif.

At second read, your story is very compelling reason to move away from so cal. As another reader mentioned, the majority of ppl here is very simple minded, which bothers me a lot. I can hardly wait to get out of here, but the economy makes it very hard to do so. As a mex-american, I do feel less discriminated here than say a place like Dallas suburbs, since we are a majority in some parts of town and accepted in most areas of SA. The gay man in me wants to get the hell outta here b/c the ppl are way too conservative and provincial for my tastes. My parents and sisters are all here, which makes it much easier for me. If you are hardcore religious folk, you will fit in quite nicely since everyone here has their nose up the Catholic church's butt, with a church on nearly every street corner.

Last edited by wehotex; 05-15-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or