U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,431,468 times

Advertisements

I know he represents our HOA.

I wish I could say more and express an opinion and give facts I know to back me up. But as the President of our Board, I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM

796 posts, read 1,614,803 times
Are HOAs the norm in SA neighborhoods? I am not a fan of HOAs and would love to find a neighborhood that doesn't have one when we eventually buy a house...

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

475 posts, read 968,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Are HOAs the norm in SA neighborhoods? I am not a fan of HOAs and would love to find a neighborhood that doesn't have one when we eventually buy a house...
If a subdivision has a gated entrance, then the streets behind the gate are private and there is an HOA/POA.

If there is no gated entrance, then it depends on whether the community has a private recreation center or other private benefits just for residents. Typically, many newer subdivisions always have some sort of HOA.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 AM

487 posts, read 977,462 times
I'm curious . . . where do you swim and play basketball and tennis if you don't have those amenities in your community? I know those thing are a pretty big expense for our HOA to maintain. I'm sure their are public facilities but I don't know where they are located.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
I'm curious . . . where do you swim and play basketball and tennis if you don't have those amenities in your community? I know those thing are a pretty big expense for our HOA to maintain. I'm sure their are public facilities but I don't know where they are located.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/tennis.asp for the tennis fix.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/inventory.asp - in the amenities column, it will say if basketball is an option.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM

330 posts, read 828,826 times
I know HOA's have rules but I was under the impression that this man had lost his job and was making little payments to the HOA during the time period. They wanted the whole balance at once and then added attorney's fees which of course increased the amount owed. When the news started their investigation thats when his prior payments came into light! So I kinda feel for the guy!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,454,492 times
Tom is an aggressive lawyer who usually gets what the HOA wants. the problem with Tom is that he sees it only as a way to get his atty fees. He files as fast as he can to ensure that the time he spends working on a matter is billed to the resposible party.

He doesn't care about doing what is right and only wants his fee (in my several experiences with him anyway).

That being said - as others have mentioned - the terms are what they are and were agreed to by each of the respective parties well in advance. you can't breach those terms and expect to skate.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,330,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
Tom is an aggressive lawyer who usually gets what the HOA wants.
Sounds to me like he's simply doing his job (what the HOA wants him to do).

Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM

574 posts, read 1,158,977 times
This is exactly one of the reasons I didn't buy in a subdivision. I am not paying a separate entity besides the bank and the city for my home. If you do your homework you can find a home within your price range where you don't have to worry about your neighbors junking up the place. Plus no cookie cutter homes.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM

872 posts, read 1,631,614 times
Our HOA did this to a homeowner in our neighborhood and wound up paying out $5,000 because they apparently didn't have all their ducks in a row like they thought they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or