U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,818 times

Advertisements

I have lived here most of my life, got married downtown, even went to high school downtown, yet I *never* venture down there! Sad, I know...
So next weekend my cousin, her husband, and their 1 year old are coming to visit. They want to see the Alamo and the riverwalk Saturday morning. My husband will be out of town until that evening, so it will be three adults and 2 toddlers in strollers. Should I be scared?

They would like to see the Alamo, the riverwalk, and eat a *good* tex-mex or mexican lunch. (they're coming in from Missouri.) I'm fixing breakfast tacos for breakfast

A few questions- where should I park? I used to park in the Frost Bank building and just walk out but that's pretty far from the Alamo, isn't it?

Are two strollers + the riverwalk (and all the stairs that come with) a recipe for disaster?

Any recs for a yummy lunch??? Are there any good restaurants along the riverwalk, or would we be better off moving the car and eating at Rosario's or La Margarita in Market Square?

Basically, what's your plan when you have out-of-town guests and you take them downtown?

I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
We always park in the Crockett Street parking garage at River Center Mall - close to the Alamo.

For good Mexican I'd get back in the car and go to Rosario's.

Take the river boat tour. So long as you have foldable strollers you can take them on the boat.

I was just downtown on Saturday with my cousin and his wife and kids - a four year old and a 16 month old. We all survived.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
FWIW - we usually walk to the Alamo from our house, which is just under 1 mile. So if that's doable for you, I'd say park anywhere in Lavaca - I think you can park on Lavaca St, behind the SAISD building. If not, park one block down. You can take the path through HemisFair Park, under the convention center/along the River. It comes out near the mall, then walk over to the Alamo. It's a beautiful stretch and wide.

As long as you don't have monster SUV sized strollers, it shouldn't be a problem, just pay attention to where you're going. Look at the map to see where the wheelchair access points are so you know when you can get up to street level and vice versa. That said, we'd end up carrying the stroller a lot up steps because we didn't wait for the right point.

For tex-mex lunch, I think Acenar is the only decent place on the Riverwalk. I'm not a huge fan of Rosario's but most enjoy it and i'd say it's better than any RW Tex-Mex. Acenar is at the far end, opposite the Alamo, so it's a walk but totally doable.

One thing you might do is, if you park in Southtown, take the trolley to the Alamo, saving a bit of a walk. We do this when my mom (76 yo and fit but not quite up to walking *that* much) is here and DD loves loves loves riding the trolley. Otherwise, when it's just us, we walk it all. And then, when you get back to Southtown after all that strolling, stop in at Friendly Spot on S. Alamo - best ice house EVER. Good food, good drink, and a playground perfect for the kids.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,415,436 times
There are one or 2 elevators, but not that convenient (when my son had surgery, and he was in a wheelchair), we learned what a pain in the a#s it is to simply cross from one side to the other without using the stairs. Like someone else said, bring foldable, and have the kids walk the steps while you carry the strollers.

The boat is a must, the kids will love it!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,619 times
I would avoid the strollers on the riverwalk all together. It is a recipe for disaster. But, the boat ride is fun for everyone. Instead of the regular "tour" boats, just take a taxi boat. You can stay on for as long as you want (or at least we could) and you see so much more of the river and it's soooo much cheaper.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,818 times
Thanks for the suggestion of the boat- I think we'll try and do that. I'm hoping to be downtown early, by 10am so hopefully we'll avoid the crowds. I'd love to leave the strollers behind, but we'll have a 13 month old and a 17 month old... so walking isn't an option for them. I have a baby carrier and my dd will ride on my back for a bit, but to be honest, she loves looking around from her stroller and she's much more content. Hmmm...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of the boat- I think we'll try and do that. I'm hoping to be downtown early, by 10am so hopefully we'll avoid the crowds. I'd love to leave the strollers behind, but we'll have a 13 month old and a 17 month old... so walking isn't an option for them. I have a baby carrier and my dd will ride on my back for a bit, but to be honest, she loves looking around from her stroller and she's much more content. Hmmm...
How about one of those baby slings that the moms use to carry the babies in the front instead of their back? I dunno if they're comfortable for baby or mom, just seen some moms with them.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM

73 posts, read 148,063 times
Small umbrella strollers are not that big of a deal on the Riverwalk. With three adults you can easily carry both kids for a few moments while you fold up the strollers and cross the bridges/stairs. My wife and I have taken our three kids several times with no problems.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,193 times
Go to shop at El Mercado and then walk over to Mi Tierra for lunch. Good stuff!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 AM

246 posts, read 359,094 times
I like going to El Mirador. It is just south of downtown near Rosarios but less expensive. Saturday is soup day. Very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio