Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

Had USAA for many, many years. They tried to stiff us on a car rental because that coverage was accidentally dropped. When I pointed out to them that we NEVER carried minimum limits, carried tow coverage, etc., and that it was obviously an honest mistake, they said "tough" - when I called to cancel 2 weeks later, they offered to "reconsider". I told 'em to take a hike.
We're covered w/Germania, who've been outstanding to deal with, and actually a *bit* lower with higher coverages. USAA also only issues 6-month auto policies, which were a PITA to keep track of w/the certificates.
Germania is also unique in another way - most companies won't insure firearms for more than like 2-3k. Germania will cover up to your policy limits....even if it was all firearms involved in the loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 67,120 times
Thanks for all the reply`s and good info but I guess I can ask what a solid driver for years with no blemishes can expect $ wise for a year... Credit is fair, so I know I can take a little hit with that... But one still wonders how credit has to do with auto insurance... Lets face it, we all know when you don`t pay your auto insurance with a (financed vehicle), the state will notify the bank anyway telling them that there is no valid insurance on the vehicle now..... I would assume texas does this right? I`m from the northeast so please correct me if I wrong as I do need enough info for when I go to bat monday with trying to get auto insurance.... Right now as we speak my premium is $1,800 a year for 1 vehicle with texas aaa.... I`m used to paying no more then $1,100 for the same vehicle.. Big differance!!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You couldnt pay me to go with AllState ever again.

I was with them for 5 years and was paying roughly $112/mo for full coverage on 2 cars. I get my renewal in the mail and the new premium is $236/mo. so I call them

them - "have you bought a new car?"
me - "yes a year and a half ago"
them - "well that wouldnt do it, have you had any accidents?"
me - "nope not since 1990"
(12 years before this call)
them "have you moved because you know it is based on location"
me - "nope been here since 1997"
them - "any tickets"
me "nope"
them "well I guess it was just a rate hike"

Hung up the phone and went with Geico
Had an accident with an Allstate insured female, she admitted fault, Allstate said she did not. Long story short Allstate had to pay but it was a big stress for me .... they should have done the right thing all along!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 PM

257 posts, read 533,852 times
I got the cheapest rate from Texas Farm Bureau--$88/mo. full coverage & I had an accident within the last 3 years.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
I have never heard of Texas Farm Bureau.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I have never heard of Texas Farm Bureau.
a quick Google will remedy that, thats the first thing i do when i don't know something so i don't have to admit it openly to everyone.

texas farm bureau - Google Search

I have USAA right now, but the rates are going up up up, and other places are more expensive than my rate hikes. i need to check out Gernamia and Texas Farm Bureau, my uncle sells state farm and USAA even beat his rates!!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1836 View Post
Right now as we speak my premium is $1,800 a year for 1 vehicle with texas aaa.... I`m used to paying no more then $1,100 for the same vehicle.. Big differance!!

I can tell you that we are paying $1884/yr for my wife and I and two cars ('06 300c '08 Aspen) with full coverage*. That is with one small at-fault accident ($3500 to her car only)

* $500 deductible. To go to a $250 deductible, the price difference per yr was more than the difference between $250 and $500 (go figure)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:
a quick Google will remedy that, thats the first thing i do when i don't know something so i don't have to admit it openly to everyone.
I did google only to find there's only three offices in San Antonio. So that's why I never heard of them, considering how few offices they have. I guess they don't advertise in the papers either.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM

95 posts, read 206,426 times
Texas Farm Bureau is the cheapest for automotive insurance.
Nationwide is the cheapest if you have a motorcycle + automobile.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You couldnt pay me to go with AllState ever again.

I was with them for 5 years and was paying roughly $112/mo for full coverage on 2 cars. I get my renewal in the mail and the new premium is $236/mo. so I call them

them - "have you bought a new car?"
me - "yes a year and a half ago"
them - "well that wouldnt do it, have you had any accidents?"
me - "nope not since 1990"
(12 years before this call)
them "have you moved because you know it is based on location"
me - "nope been here since 1997"
them - "any tickets"
me "nope"
them "well I guess it was just a rate hike"

Hung up the phone and went with Geico
Well, I was with Geico for more than 20 years and dropped them because:

1. They would not lower their rates (I have no accidents or tickets)
2. They do not have an "integrated" home owners insurance (so no discount there)

I went with Allstate and pay less than half I was paying Geico and my home insurance went down too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio