U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I live down the street and wondered why the enterances were closed?
The city recognized that there would be a lot of interest in visiting during the grand opening weekend and set up parking shuttles from nearby lots to avoid creating traffic problems.

Last edited by Bo; 05-17-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 AM

420 posts, read 1,013,827 times
We tried to go by last night around 7 and Park Police were sitting there to make sure no one came in even though the events were all over and everyone was gone. Supposed to have opened today at 730am. I plan to check it out tonight.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I finally made it to Hardberger Park today. Picked up a copy of the black and white map available on the city's web site at the link below. It provides a good overview of how much of the park is open, what features are available now and what will be built in the future.

Hardberger Park - Parks and Recreation Department

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times
I visited the other day and I have mixed feelings on it. Overall I guess I am disappointed, but any park is a good park!
What is Hardbergers obession with this crushed red gravel!!!...he ruined main plaza with it and killed all the trees with it...and they use it all over the place at Hardberger park. Every single parking slot is paved with the loose crushed red gravel...which makes a mess in your car.

Along those lines....the VERY few trails at are open will change from concrete to this crushed gravel at random times. It makes no sense. At most parks..an entire path or trail will be paved for handicap or strollers, joggers. Here...I know on the geology trail...it starts out paved, then goes to gravel and then goes back to paved. You can see where the gravel has been washed away and replaced already.

The park is very green and prestine. I think they could have thinned out some of the dense trees or trimmed the bottoms of them at entrance/front area....it is hard to see anyone or find a friend.
I know the park is in its first phase...so I hope to see some improvements and they better put additonal parking....on a hot weeknight..the lot was almost full.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM

229 posts, read 587,142 times
Does anyone know if the dog park is segregated for large and small dogs?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I visited the other day and I have mixed feelings on it. Overall I guess I am disappointed, but any park is a good park!
What is Hardbergers obession with this crushed red gravel!!!...he ruined main plaza with it and killed all the trees with it...and they use it all over the place at Hardberger park. Every single parking slot is paved with the loose crushed red gravel...which makes a mess in your car.
The goal that the architects stated they were given for this park was to keep it as natural as possible. I doubt there will be any paved trails. If you want paving and sidewalk, head over to the Salado Creek Greenway Trail next door.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Does anyone know if the dog park is segregated for large and small dogs?
It is a divided dog park. But there are no signs saying which area is which. Generally you have to walk small dogs through the big dog area to get to the gate for the small dog area. The only way you cuold figure which one was for small dogs is that one of them has a dog playhouse in it that is obviously not for larger dogs.

We have been a couple of times and have seen people taking big dogs into the small dog area. They need to put up signs about which is which.

Someone took their German shepherd into the small dog area and it proptmly attacked a little poodle. The guys reply was "what designated this as the small dog area". So still be careful when your there.

Also just as with the other dog parks there are a lot of owners that do not care how their dog acts and cause the standard problems.

The gates are also not spring loaded so they do not close unless people close them. And as the latch on the inner gate was jammed last time I was there the inner gate just sat open and you hoped the people coming in wouldn't let dogs out. But I have been there a couple of times when the latch worked but people simply left the gates open. since they dont hold closed and auto latch. It seems like they tried to cheap out on this and it shows.

The fact that it is recent construction also should tell you the place is a muddy pit in any kind of damp weather. The new water trough does not drain properly so there is almost always a muddy puddle sitting in the dog water trough that most dogs get into and get seriously muddy when they step into the black soil. The water troughs holding water in it helps make the mosquitoes in there a real issue right now. Every park needs a mosquito pond. Bring bug spray.

It should be nice and shady though in the summer as they left many of the trees.

There is one cleanup station in each of the dog areas and it is near the gate. So many people are not bothering to cleanup after their dogs because it is a long walk to get a doggy bag and come back to cleanup and then walk all the way back to the gate to throw it away. The thrash cans they are using are these bear safe trash cans that seal up. You open the lid and it hits you in the face like an old full baby diaper can you left in the sun for a week. They reek bad.

The only dog toys installed when I was last there are a couple of dog agility A-frames. the ones in the small dog area are shorter. The small dog area also has the dog playhouse in it. There are also a group of picnic tables but dogs are often walking on top of the along with the owners sitting on them. Not that i would recommend anyone trying to eat something in a dog park(you deserve to lose it).

Supposedly there is more agility stuff to come. But as I said anywhere the mulch thins out it is just that muddy black soil. Add to that the crushed red granite you have to walk around on to the car and you need to clean the car when you leave there.

It just feels like they rushed to throw the dog park in at the last minute and half-assed a lot of it. The gates are crap, the fence has openings, and it has the feel of someone walking in and just sticking a fence up. The water trough would have been a good idea if it would actually drain all the way but again it reflects the half-hearted effort in throwing this in to open the park.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Thinking about it. This whole area they opened off of blanco road has the feel of a design school project. it is pretty but they forgot to check with people about functionality.

The crushed red granite looks nice but is a huge mess and god forbid you or a kid fall down on it. My daughter has scars on her knees from falling on it the first time out there. Plus you get in your car and bring a bunch of it in with you.

The playground equipment is all divided into little islands connected by small paths. If you have more than one little kid that wants to play they are not near each other and it you don't take the path you are walking in the mulch and black mud. The couple of benchs they have there are not situated so that you can watch the kids play. And with the playground so spread out you are not able to stay in one spot and watch them anyway.

What politicians relative that failed design school got this design contract?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingWolves View Post
What politicians relative that failed design school got this design contract?
D.I.R.T. Website

Since they're in Charlottesville, VA, I doubt that they're related to anyone who was elected here.

There has been a LOT of citizen input on this park... probably more than any other project in the history of this city. Maybe too much. I'm disappointed by how some of the squeaky wheels who live nearby managed to get a couple of cool features removed that were in the original design.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The goal that the architects stated they were given for this park was to keep it as natural as possible. I doubt there will be any paved trails. If you want paving and sidewalk, head over to the Salado Creek Greenway Trail next door.
Exactly...there were way more people using the Salado Creek Greenbelt (paved) path for walking, jogging, dog walking, strollering....than there were in Hardberger Park. It just shows you how unwelcoming the park is. with a brand new park next door.....people still prefer Salado.
Well hopefully they will make some changes based on feedback...just like Main Plaza...I think they have remodeled that about 4 times since it re-opened 2 years ago..in face it is completely blocked off right now for yet another construction project to fix something.

I agree with you, but I think their needs to be a balance...leave the rougher more off road paths with the crushed gravel...and then pave the smoother level paths for walkers/joggers...Just like at Frederick Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio