U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:26 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,226,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It amazes me that every attempt to curb obesity and promote healthy eating habits is always viewed as an example of government trying to run our lives.
How is it not, though?

My other question is: When did government intervention in the way of food/diet ever do anyone in this country any good? The idiotic food pyramid is a pretty valid example of how they can royally screw up the message of "balance". Reversing the preposterous idea of 6+ servings of bread and cereal took them well over 10 years. They just need to NOT be involved when it comes to stuff like this. The government should act like an ombudsman, you know--"We just want to know YOU know what's in this and what you're eating", hence the FDA and USDA regulations on Nutrition Info on foods. It should end there.

Quote:
Get the fact that government IS RUNNING our life anyway; at least promoting healthy food is not going to RUIN it.
Ah, I see. So they in fact ARE running our lives and you're okay with that?

Quote:
BTW: most slim people have no problem with it. Fat people are the ones who see red every time someone mention diet, health or fitness.
Wow, so I guess fat people ARE the last taboo. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

38,079 posts, read 55,850,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
"Mom2Feebs, I've decided today that YOU don't NEED this coke because it is unhealthy."
I see that as mere suggestion not as a way to take your rights.
Otherwise he would say: Mom2Feebs: I have decided today that you have to stop drinking this coke, because it is unhealthy"

Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
What I'm not getting is why this is being viewed as the equivalent to a ban on these foods and beverages. The City Manager didn't forbid employees from keeping Coke and Snickers bars on the premises or even urge people to consume less of them. All that she decreed was that the city would no longer sell them there.

Those who feel they need them can still bring them from home. If you know you have to have one, it's probably cheaper to plan ahead and bring it from home anyway.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 PM

6,277 posts, read 9,047,308 times
Bowie, that's true - in THAT instance, let's just REMOVE all the machines, period. Otherwise, let the vendor (and the market) dictate what is sold in them.

NOT some overreaching City Manager....

Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,226,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
What I'm not getting is why this is being viewed as the equivalent to a ban on these foods and beverages. The City Manager didn't forbid employees from keeping Coke and Snickers bars on the premises or even urge people to consume less of them. All that she decreed was that the city would no longer sell them there.

Those who feel they need them can still bring them from home. If you know you have to have one, it's probably cheaper to plan ahead and bring it from home anyway.
I don't think anyone here sees this as a ban; however, I think the viewpoint is more of "what's next?"...at least, mine is.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

[quote=Mom2Feebs;14233912]The government should act like an ombudsman, you know--"We just want to know YOU know what's in this and what you're eating", hence the FDA and USDA regulations on Nutrition Info on foods. It should end there.

I think that the city can put in their facilities vending machines of their choice. Maybe after they start with the healthier choices, the SAPD and others will follow?
Is not that food guards at the door will conduct a search and remove all junk food from everyone who walks in? If someone wants eat sweets/fat - thatís fine, they just don't want to promote it.

Ah, I see. So they in fact ARE running our lives and you're okay with that?

I never said that I am ok with that!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think the viewpoint is more of "what's next?"...at least, mine is.
What's next?? Spread this great idea over the whole city!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM

824 posts, read 1,606,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

I totally agree. The hysteria on this thread has been awfully funny given the facts of the matter.

No one's taking away your Fritos and Dr. Pepper, guys...

Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM

6,277 posts, read 9,047,308 times
Ya'll are missing the point - but that's okay, because by the time you realize what I was trying to warn you about, it'll be too late. The city is delving into areas that they have NO business asking about. It's like an alarm permit I was filling out for the City of New Braunfels. One of the questions: Are there guns in the house? Well, let's see....the reply goes back to a contractor over whom I have NO control.....do they REALLY expect me to answer them?!?? I'll be having a discussion w/our City Manager in the morning about the question, because frankly it's none of their business.
I can already tell you what their answer will be - "in the interest of officer safety". Well, I've got news for 'em - ANY cop that walks into a burglary scene NOT anticipating meeting an armed suspect is an I D I O T. And before any of you jump me.....I've worn the badge, made the calls and seen the Tiger. A son, nephew and two BIL's continue to do so - so I have a pretty good idea as to what can go down. You don't make a call for an alarm without being prepared to utilize Deadly Force - EVERY time. To do otherwise is begging for a "uh-oh" - and then it's already too late....

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,606,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Bowie, that's true - in THAT instance, let's just REMOVE all the machines, period. Otherwise, let the vendor (and the market) dictate what is sold in them.

NOT some overreaching City Manager....
So think the vendor has the right to dictate what's sold in city facilities, but the chief executive officer of the city doesn't? Uh, okay.

If any other company made this decision, no one would be having tea-party-panic attacks about the big-bad gubment "overreaching". It's a policy decision, and one that I think many people will support.

And, just so we're clear, this doesn't mean CoSA employees can't inhale twinkies and slam half-gallons of Big Red. It just means that the city isn't going to actively participate in and/or profit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio