Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM
mcl mcl started this thread

70 posts, read 149,757 times

Advertisements

I did read some old threads on this...but wanted to check for more recent recommendations for honest and reliable companies.

We have two a/c units and our downstairs unit started to blow warm air as of yesterday. Our house is only 6 years old, so I am really thinking a whole new unit shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,098 times
AirTron: They did a mass amount of work for me last summer and their follow-up has been incredible. They actually just came out to do a check-up on the system and have been nothing but extremely professional.

BN

Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Has anyone used Beyer Mechanical or Locke Service Co. for A/C repair?

Last edited by mcl; 05-24-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM

894 posts, read 1,534,425 times
A friend of mine called out Jon Wayne to check out his upstairs unit that had started to blow hot. He was told it would need $600 to recharge BOTH units, but that they really needed to be replaced at a cost for $17K. Yikes! Intelligently, he paid them for the service call and sent them on their way. He then called A&E (I think out of Bandera?) and they came out. Told him one unit had a leak which they fixed and charged $120 for a recharge. There was nothing at all wrong with the other unit (which he had never had trouble with). A quick check with neighbors found their replacement cost for a new unit was $4500. Even double that is only $9K! Beware and know that the BBB ratings don't always tell the whole story. There are plenty of reputable businesses out there and good to rely on someone who has used a company and believes they are trustworthy.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,705,268 times
Air-Tex Heating & Air Conditioning

Mr. Gary Bacon

He replaced my unit last year and have nothing but good things to say about him.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys for the replies... Got someone on their way now and I will update how it goes.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,708,420 times
Here's my two cents and HVAC, plumbing company, etc.

Those that advertise on TV or have huge Yellow Page ads are getting that advertising money from someone.
For a concession stand, a fellow volunteer called a plumbing company(that is always on TV, huge yellow page ad, etc.) out for some work for leaky faucets, etc. Was told all the 4 faucets(including fixtures) needed to be replaced. Cost? $1600.00 since they were commerical faucets. Called a friend who does plumbing on the side. $35.00 service call, about $10.00 in parts and good to go.....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

I called several places and decided to try Locke Service Company for the first time.

Their diagnostic/service calls are $59 but they waive that if you do the repair with them. I called several before them that were more than that just to come out and that didn't waive that fee.

I am thankful to say that our air conditioning is back up and running now for well under $200. The service tech didn't try to up-sell us to anything, or say that we needed freon or anything extra...just the parts and the labor.

I will put them in my book as one of the good guys.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM

61,142 posts, read 85,956,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
A friend of mine called out Jon Wayne to check out his upstairs unit that had started to blow hot. He was told it would need $600 to recharge BOTH units, but that they really needed to be replaced at a cost for $17K. Yikes! Intelligently, he paid them for the service call and sent them on their way. He then called A&E (I think out of Bandera?) and they came out. Told him one unit had a leak which they fixed and charged $120 for a recharge. There was nothing at all wrong with the other unit (which he had never had trouble with). A quick check with neighbors found their replacement cost for a new unit was $4500. Even double that is only $9K! Beware and know that the BBB ratings don't always tell the whole story. There are plenty of reputable businesses out there and good to rely on someone who has used a company and believes they are trustworthy.
I heard bad things about John Wayne A/C company...

Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Air-Tex Heating & Air Conditioning

Mr. Gary Bacon

He replaced my unit last year and have nothing but good things to say about him.
I second Air-Tex. A GREAT, HONEST family run company.

NEVER use those companies where you see vans driving around with new units in them. They are just salesmen out to sell new units.
If they tell you "you need a new unit and we just so happen to have one with us" RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!

Again, I highly recommend Air-Tex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio