U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Anyone have any updates on the status of Fry's coming to San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM

133 posts, read 367,291 times
We finally got a Fry's near my apartment up here in Houston, and it's pretty awesome. I got my last laptop there for an incredible price. You just have to get there early on Friday mornings if you want to catch the weekend specials, as they sell out of items in minutes, with no rainchecks. They have really good prices on digital camers, DVDs, office supplies, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 PM

309 posts, read 629,202 times
I'll chime in with the other posts that say Fry's is a geek haven. I used to work in Silicon Valley (Northern California) and there were 5 Fry's stores within a short driving distance. Sigh, I miss that. "Going to Fry's" was a perfectly legitimate excuse to take time off from work amongst engineering types. The company has to skimp somewhere to make up for the low prices and in Silicon Valley that used to be sales/customer service/support. Most of those positions were staffed by people from India and Asian countries who had poor English skills and technical training. Again if you know what you are looking for and can tinker with software/hardware if it doesn't work right then you skip Fry's drawbacks and get some good deals.
I haven't been to any Texas stores since moving out here. For now, I get my techie fix by going to Altex (competent people, prices not the lowest). I have also been pleasantly surprised by the level of competence shown by the people at the Best Buy on Hwy 281 & Loop 1604.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM

225 posts, read 610,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
there are Fry's out here in phoenix...they are alright...havent experienced their customer service...scary....but it will but competition to CC and BB...will bring down prices with 3 major electronic shops
I've always wondered why people from other cities look at our forums. Is it because we are so cool that everyone wants to learn about SA? HEHE

Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

39 posts, read 93,676 times
I have to say having shopped at Fry's many times, I always got a good deal, and never had any problems on the rare occassion that I have returned items.

Having said that I return all the purchases to the UK, so would have no warranty claim anyway. Perhaps I have been lucky?

But can anyone tell me what these 'Mail In rebates' are all about?
Administration must cost more than reducing the cost of the item?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,561,677 times
I believe they assume a certain percentage of people won't send in the rebate, but if they lower the price then 100% of buyers will get the discount..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM

422 posts, read 1,015,138 times
Shoot, I always send in for my rebates.

Fry's would be cool in SA. Altex is a joke. Bestbuy has a very limited selection. Newegg.com is what we're stuck with.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,742,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
I've always wondered why people from other cities look at our forums. Is it because we are so cool that everyone wants to learn about SA? HEHE
well ya..peeps want to know bout SA...but i recently moved to PHoenix...born and raised in SA Miss Thang

Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 AM

13,742 posts, read 5,377,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
well ya..peeps want to know bout SA...but i recently moved to PHoenix...born and raised in SA Miss Thang
Same here..I grew up in SA and am back down there quite a bit so I like to keep up with the goings-on there...

Old 09-06-2007, 08:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,843,767 times
I propose that Fry's buy out the Conn's chain!

Any seconds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio