U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:28 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
Shoot, I always send in for my rebates.

Fry's would be cool in SA. Altex is a joke. Bestbuy has a very limited selection. Newegg.com is what we're stuck with.
I'm an egg hater, so I use some alternatives: clubit.com and mwave.com same or better prices and they won't send you a broken, used item like the egg did to me. worst part was they charged me a restocking fee just to add insult to injury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 31,591 times
Fry's would be one more to the count..I go online to get most of the stuff..

But, it will one more option for buyers..

Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 141,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm an egg hater, so I use some alternatives: clubit.com and mwave.com same or better prices and they won't send you a broken, used item like the egg did to me. worst part was they charged me a restocking fee just to add insult to injury
I have never had to return anything to newegg so I can't comment on their return policy but I have bought a ton of stuff there and never had any problems, either with quality or their prices. They also have one of the lowest shipping charges in the business. - so, count me an 'egg-lover' <lol>

Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 PM

226 posts, read 793,068 times
Anyone know anything else about Fry's coming to SA? The Rim?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM

679 posts, read 2,603,839 times
A few Christmases ago, my son-in-law purchase a $1,000+ video camera for my daughter. One that she really, really wanted. He went to Frys and the salesman told him they were out of stock. The salesman told him to wait and let him check something. When he came back, he was holding the camera box and stated that he found one. This was on Christmas Eve. My son-in-law didn't open the box. He just wrapped it. Well, the next morning, my daughter opened her present and was just ecstatic when she saw the box. She was so happy. She opened it and inside was some used camera that had scratches on it. She cried. Broke my heart. Luckily my son-in-law charged it. He went back to the store the next day and really let them have it. I will not EVER buy any electronic anything from Frys. Desk okay...electronic, I don't think so.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 PM

174 posts, read 450,661 times
I've had nothing but good luck with Newegg, but I've never had to return anything either. A Fry's would be awesome. Altex has a limited selection and high prices. (incidentally, anyone here mourning the loss of Atex???) At Fry's I can put my hands on the board I am looking at buying. Their sales are fantastic. I don't care for the herding method of checkout, but it is the price I have to pay I suppose. I put up with worse at Sam's, soooo...

An example of the difference between Fry's and other stores would be when the fan on my northbridge went out. It was a weekend and I needed my computer and it would bluescreen as soon as the chip heated up. I looked online, but because of its proximity to my video card, I was unsure what would fit. So, I packed up the kids for a trip to Austin. They had my board mounted on the wall. I pulled out a few heat sinks and could compare them to the motherboard on the wall and walked out with a heatsink and fan I knew would work. The kids got to play some new games on their DS's via Fry's WiFi and the wife got to talk me out of purchasing a new dual trace LCD Tektronix oscilloscope.

Oh yeah, the fan/sink was marked down to less than $5.

I asked around, but no one knew any specific plans about coming to SA.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 AM

174 posts, read 450,661 times
Incidentally, the sites mentioned here, ClubIT and Mwave, have vastly different scores of satisfaction. While ClubIT rates with Newegg, Mwave hangs low along the lines of New Jersey camera stores.

In case no one is familiar with them, resellerratings.com is an excellent resource for determining the integrity of online retailers. If you are using Firefox, there is an extension which you can add that will allow you to right-click on a retailer's page and pull up their rating. If I remember correctly, it is available on the resellerratings.com site.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddys2 View Post
Altex is similar to Fry's but not as large, nice group of people working there too.

You can find them at:
Altex
I don't pine for Fry's as much since I discovered Altex. It's a great place to pick up AV cables and connectors and the like. But most of my computers are Macs and Altex has almost nothing for Macs. Altex also has no software.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,773 times
Cool I agree

But fry's in san diego and in san marcos started to get more expensive then when they first opened up. There aren't much mom and pop stores like in diego hey but thats a business thought some one interested in becoming business partners i see opportunity.
Well it looks like its pricegrabbers, and pricewatch for now....

Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 AM

48 posts, read 148,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I don't pine for Fry's as much since I discovered Altex. It's a great place to pick up AV cables and connectors and the like. But most of my computers are Macs and Altex has almost nothing for Macs. Altex also has no software.
Just curious, Where do you go for Mac stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or