Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times

Advertisements

Every morning when I leave for work I exit Westcreek at Westcreek Oaks turning Right onto 1604 S. We have an acceleration lane which I use. I hate when yahoo's sit at the stop sign to wait for traffic in both lanes to be clear just to be able to get into the inside lane of 1604. Those that do this are either making the Left turn onto Potranco or they use the turnaround to head back north on 1604. There is more than enough distance to use the acceleration lane and still be able to make those turns. Those Folks need to look in their mirror to see how many cars that are stopped behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Thank you to those who go all the way into those lanes to turn, and don't proceed to block the lane of traffic that you exited.
Consider yourself lucky,
I've seen several times people driving on the right lane (there's two lanes)
and at the last second they decide that they want to turn left from the right lane
they turn as if there's absolutely nobody on road and almost hit the ....... out of the guy/girl that was driving on the left lane.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Consider yourself lucky,
and at the last second they decide that they want to turn left from the right lane
they turn as if there's absolutely nobody on road and almost hit the ....... out of the guy/girl that was driving on the left lane.
A variation of that happened to me when a woman was in a left-turn-only lane and then cut over to go straight. She nearly T-boned me since I was turning left in an optional turn lane. Too bad some people don't bother to look at the signs.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,265 times
i was exiting 1604 east from i-10 west, this kia rio cut off a toyota tundra at the exit (you know how the 1604 west exit lane piles up?) so he got in the east bound lane and then stopped, put his blinker on and pushed his way in at the front of the line so he wouldn't have to wait. the is250 he was trying to cut off wasn't going to have it. as i went around to go east, the last thing i saw was both cars inching forward trying to occupy the same lane.

it is the same blue kia rio that barrels down the highway going 100 and cuts over on the shoulder if you're not going fast enough.

(my point is, they didn't use the correct turn lane to go a certain direction)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 AM

340 posts, read 645,645 times
I found some good information regarding center turn lanes...

From the Texas Transportation Code:
Quote:
§545.060 - DRIVING ON ROADWAY LANED FOR TRAFFIC
[...]
(b) If a roadway is divided into three lanes and provides for two-way movement of traffic, an operator on the roadway may not drive in the center lane except:
(1) if passing another vehicle and the center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance;
(2) in preparing to make a left turn; or
(3) where the center lane is designated by an official traffic-control device for movement in the direction in which the operator is moving.
[...]
From The Texas Highwayman website:

Quote:
Center turn lanes are for use only when preparing to turn left from the main road onto a side street or driveway only. Only enter the lane just before you are ready to slow down for the turn. Also, the Federal Highway Administration's "Read Your Road" guide (http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/training/training/read_road/ - broken link) indicates that, when turning from a side street or driveway onto the main road, you may also use this lane as a temporary refuge to wait for traffic to clear as long as you pull into the lane and wait and don't use the center turn lane as an acceleration lane. However, it is important to note that Texas law does not seem to specifically permit this action, and I have had reports that some folks have been cited for doing this and the court has upheld their citation, so I would recommend avoiding this maneuver unless you absolutely have to. Finally, although section (b)(1) above says you can use the center lane for passing, keep in mind that center lanes marked as left turn lanes cannot be used for passing as the traffic signs and pavement markings indicating that the lane is for left turns only take precedence.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Every morning when I leave for work I exit Westcreek at Westcreek Oaks turning Right onto 1604 S. We have an acceleration lane which I use. I hate when yahoo's sit at the stop sign to wait for traffic in both lanes to be clear just to be able to get into the inside lane of 1604. Those that do this are either making the Left turn onto Potranco or they use the turnaround to head back north on 1604. There is more than enough distance to use the acceleration lane and still be able to make those turns. Those Folks need to look in their mirror to see how many cars that are stopped behind them.
Sometimes I wait now because then you get into the right lane first, then try to get into the left lane and no one lets you in. Common sense tells me that there is enough distance to use the acceleration lane but the people who are already in the lane don't think so; they think I cut them off. Usually somebody honks because they feel I'm not accelerating fast enough; there's only so much I can do.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Consider yourself lucky,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
A variation of that happened to me when a woman was in a left-turn-only lane and then cut over to go straight. She nearly T-boned me since I was turning left in an optional turn lane. Too bad some people don't bother to look at the signs.

These two instances remind me why I'm so paranoid about making turns.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
I absolutely cannot stand people that use turn lanes to get in front of people. I cannot think of any location at the moment, but it has happened. Going right as far as possible in a turn only lane and then using their blinker thinking their the smartest person in the world getting two/three cars ahead when I waited patiently at the light. I don't let those types of people in....I give them dirty dirty dirty looks.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I absolutely cannot stand people that use turn lanes to get in front of people. I cannot think of any location at the moment, but it has happened. Going right as far as possible in a turn only lane and then using their blinker thinking their the smartest person in the world getting two/three cars ahead when I waited patiently at the light. I don't let those types of people in....I give them dirty dirty dirty looks.
And these are the folks that take the same route day after day after day; it's not like they don't know where they're going! grrrr....

Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
And these are the folks that take the same route day after day after day; it's not like they don't know where they're going! grrrr....
Yes! You can usually tell the people who realize their mistake, it;s the ones that speed up like to 50 and are like "oh I punk'd you!" How stupid. Just like construction traffic (aka De Zavala by the Wal-Mart right now...everyone avoid that if you can now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio