Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 34,842 times

Advertisements

My son is turning one. I booked Nani Falcone Park off Bandera (if anyone knows about the pavillion or has pics that would be great!) and I set the date for July 3rd. I know, dead heat of the summer. But I plan on having quite a few people, too many for the house.

My question is, does anyone have advice on how to keep the parting going (have booked for 4 hrs) without everyone being bored or afraid of dying of heatstroke if they do anything? I also want to avoid people just coming, then leaving quickly, or not coming at all cause of the heat. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
That time of year I would have tried to find a place that had water activities, but I digress....

First, there are pics on the park's web site. It looks nice, and folks say the playground and pavilions are pretty neat too.

Secondly, the park also has a frisbee golf course, so you might want to try that. Obviously you need to ensure sunscreen and hats are used, and the participants drink plenty of water as even though Frisbee golf is not a strenuous sport, dehydration will still be a threat. But it not only kills and hour or so of the time, it keeps people “locked in” as you can’t really quit halfway through the course now, can you?

Thirdly, given the heat, you might want to still consider water games, such as buying squirt guns or maybe a slip and slide (if the park allows them). Do you know if you'll have access to water? If so, a few small inflatable pools might be a good idea; anything where the kids can splash, play and keep cool!

Otherwise, keep the kids under the pavilion as much as possible and try to limit the amount of sugary drinks they consume. The usual party games should keep them well occupied but if I may say so, please don't try to keep the party going for the full four hours. It'll take at least an hour to set up, then maybe 1½-2 hours for the actual party, then clean-up. Anything longer than that for the actual celebration gets to be hard on both the kids and their parents!

Good luck! M2

Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 34,842 times
Thanks! Good idea about the water guns and other water activities! And i saw the pics on the park web site, not the best close up pics of the pavillion though. Will just have to take a drive this weekend.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
I agree -- four hours is way to long. Birthday parties are typically an hour and a half to two hours max and, trust me, that is loooong enough for both the hostess and the other parents / kids.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Remember to take lots of photos. Without them a 1 year old will have absolutely no recollection of the event.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
I'd like to know how this turns out. My daughter's birthday happens to be July 3rd and every year (she turns 9 this year) we have been beaten to death by the heat, unless of course we did something indoors like Peter Piper or something.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Try one of the city or county parks with pavilions - they give excellent shade, usually are trees around, and all that helps to provide cooling effect. However, I would submit that if you're having a party that large for a 1 year-old, it's for mom and dad, not the baby - because it'll not even realize what's going on. Not a dig - an observation....keeping it smaller and more intimate could be a lot more fun for those involved.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
I would cancel and do something else. Four hours outside with a one year old (not to mention other people's children) in the heat of July? You'll be paying for sure, a lot more than money.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Sorry, but this just sounds incredelous. Water guns at one year old birthday party? Are they gonna squirt the baby in the face while his in the stroller? Slip and slide? Throw the baby down the slip and slide? Summertime in San Antonio is no place for a one year old to be outdoors for four hours.

Sounds like what you really ought to do is have a backyard BBQ with a couple of kegs for the adults, with a splash pool for the one year old. Personally I'd be against the splash pool since it only takes a couple of inches and minutes for a baby to drown. You can purchase water mister hoses at a local store and that would help keep the heat down. Also, since it's in your backyard, if the heat becomes overwhelming, you can move the baby indoors.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,565 times
Its a bit early to be blowing out the birthday budgets in this kids life. You would be much happier with a small casual thing for the first birthday. As the kids get older they start providing more feedback into what they want to do and what it might entail. If YOU want a big party that's cool and all but as you said being outdoors in a hot place you are going to have a hard time getting anyone to come out and do much.

I big part is what are the ages of the poeple coming. If it is a bunch of parents from daycare with 1 year old they are probably not going to be interested in sitting out in the heat with a child they probably cannot let out of sight for a moment (being near a road/public place).

I also agree with the whole go out there and see what it is like as soon as possible and expect it to be high 90s maybe 100s. It looks like there is water there so if you are waiting till the cooler hours insects are going to be an issue.

You are also talking July 4th weekend. Lots going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio