Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

Gen.....good luck to you! You sound like a tough cookie that's been around the block some and knows how to take care of yourself. It's sounds like you have done your homework and you know what to expect. Be safe, and check in with us in your new home. Welcome to San Antonio!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Should the young mom with school aged children be forced to have a risky neighbor simply because no other solid community members are going to move in?

No, that is not fair to the community members who have no other option.

Gen
EVERYONE has an option, there are PLENTY of low-priced apartments that aren't crime-ridden AND within mere blocks of Wilshire Woods. That young mom you speak of can (AND SHOULD) simply find a friend with a truck (and that ain't hard in San Antonio), pack her stuff, and move down the road to a nicer complex, thus providing safety for her children AND herself (she owes it to those children IMO). This attitude of yours baffles me. Sounds like a martyr complex to me: "In psychology, a person who has a martyr complex desires the feeling of being a martyr for its own sake, seeking out suffering or persecution because it feeds a psychological need." This topic just irks me.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:25 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Gen, I don't understand you at all. Why put yourself though unneeded risk? The area around it is actually pretty nice, you have terrell Hills just to the west and Northwood just to the north, yet you choose to live in a place where aggravated robbery w/deadly weapon and assault are common place. Check out the crimebase website and put in 2500 Harry Wurzbach if you don't believe us. Three people here have warned you against this place, including two (myself and googie who live with in a half-mile of less of the complex). I guess if that isn't good enough, your lucky that BAMC is a level 1 trauma center and the closest hospital because you might need it.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 AM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Gen.....good luck to you! You sound like a tough cookie that's been around the block some and knows how to take care of yourself. It's sounds like you have done your homework and you know what to expect. Be safe, and check in with us in your new home. Welcome to San Antonio!
Hi wCat,

I look forward to it! I'm hoping things turn out well, especially with the head's up and forwarning.

I'll be posting, your soon to be, somewhat, neighbor!
Gen

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
EVERYONE has an option, there are PLENTY of low-priced apartments that aren't crime-ridden AND within mere blocks of Wilshire Woods. That young mom you speak of can (AND SHOULD) simply find a friend with a truck (and that ain't hard in San Antonio), pack her stuff, and move down the road to a nicer complex, thus providing safety for her children AND herself (she owes it to those children IMO). This attitude of yours baffles me. Sounds like a martyr complex to me: "In psychology, a person who has a martyr complex desires the feeling of being a martyr for its own sake, seeking out suffering or persecution because it feeds a psychological need." This topic just irks me.
Hi there,
Well, it isn't really nice of you to point fingers.

In "Sociology" this is called "SELF-SERVING BIAS" and that is the attitude of yours.

Ha, a pyschological need? No. As I mentioned before it is where I come from. I'd fit in like a sore thumb it I went to an area filled with folks who hold 'your' attitude. I am going where I am comfortable and hope to have neighbors who know the value of an individual's integrity is not based on the value of their property lines...

All the best,
Gen

Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Gen, I don't understand you at all. Why put yourself though unneeded risk? The area around it is actually pretty nice, you have terrell Hills just to the west and Northwood just to the north, yet you choose to live in a place where aggravated robbery w/deadly weapon and assault are common place. Check out the crimebase website and put in 2500 Harry Wurzbach if you don't believe us. Three people here have warned you against this place, including two (myself and googie who live with in a half-mile of less of the complex). I guess if that isn't good enough, your lucky that BAMC is a level 1 trauma center and the closest hospital because you might need it.
Hello,
I will heed your advice and be cautious.

I did check out the crime base statistics and it shows that the area is FAR, FAR SAFER then where I am now. I will be very cautious.

Gen-remember things are relative...I will post and hope for the best and indeed be careful, I am grateful for the serious advice and head's up, thank you very much, no rose colored glasses here, not now.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 AM

Default for what its worth

It is obvious to me that the "intent" of everyone who posted is good. So I thank you, even if I do not agree with your worldview of expression I do understand and appreciate that your intent and effort in posting is to help me, thank you.

Yet, the last apartment complex I lived in before here, (and many previous to that) I had coworkers tell me they were ghetto and several who tried to talk me into moving away. Well, yes, there were some sections in my previous complexes that I would have been afraid to live in but, not "all" sections of supposed 'ghetto' areas are the same.

I seriously hope that the year goes well and I suspect you are worried for my safety. I will be careful and not take any chances, (no laying out, no strolling, no leaving my door wide open or anything like that, no strolling after dark and no talking to strangers and so forth.)
Gen

Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi there,
Well, it isn't really nice of you to point fingers.

In "Sociology" this is called "SELF-SERVING BIAS" and that is the attitude of yours.

Ha, a pyschological need? No. As I mentioned before it is where I come from. I'd fit in like a sore thumb it I went to an area filled with folks who hold 'your' attitude. I am going where I am comfortable and hope to have neighbors who know the value of an individual's integrity is not based on the value of their property lines...

All the best,
Gen
My "attitude" is simply one of, like most I would assume, desiring a SAFE environment (not character-less, snobbish, or bland - just SAFE). If you enjoy pursuing POINTLESS dangerous situations in known areas of very high criminal activity, then great, more power to ya, have a blast, but don't ask for honest advice/information, then get defensive and cloak it in some veil of reverse-snobbery (that whole rich = greedy, uncaring, etc., while poor = humble, honest, etc. thing you're not-so-subtly alluding to is a very TIRED cliche.). I stated that there are plenty of really nice non-crime-ridden low-cost apartments in the immediate area, but you insist on living in the most dangerous one, so that undeniably says SOMETHING. You dont wan't advice, you want an argument.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM

19 posts, read 129,755 times
Hmmmmmmm...

I think if you can withstand the heat of this thread then you should be fine in Wilshire Woods, ghetto or not.

Just be on the lookout for post like "Best not be quoting my bizz-ness on the world wide web or I'll bust a cap in yo A$$!" because then you have entered the "Gagsta Forum" and you (and your cat) could be in real trouble.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
... You dont wan't advice, you want an argument.
There you are wrong googie.

It was you who claimed that "I" had an irksome phsychological misfiring need to martyrdom...

No thank you for your attempts at spiteful fingerpointing, namecalling and what not.

Arguments? No, not buying any today.

Good day,
Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio