U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
We thought of that, we know a few folks that have country homes where it would have a good life; but no one came forward wanting it.

I could live with this option as at least we would know it was OK; however, simply dumping it somewhere doesn't guarantee it a great chance of survival.

Hopefully I will be able to report good news later this afternoon!
If you do dump it, can you get it spayed/neutered and given rabies shots first? There are organizations that will do it for free I think....

We acquired our cat that way. She was a tiny kitten hanging out on our porch one night. We have no shortage of strays around, but this one came close. Our friend who was over pet it, my husband couldn't resist giving it food. Now she sleeps in our bed . We've found homes for two others we "rescued", but I think we're at our limit.

One thing in the neighborhood that we've tried to do (but not always successful), is feed/water the ferals, then take them in for shots/neutering when old enough. They're still living wild and some may find them a nuisance (though mostly they help keep the rodent population down), but at least they're not reproducing or posing a rabies risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Well, there's a (somewhat) happy ending to the story...

My wife called SA Animal Care Services and they will take feral/wild cats as long as they are under four pounds. So I took it there and left it and the kennel we had it in with them. The guy that helped me was very friendly, and a lot braver than I as he reached in and pulled her out to take a picture!

Oddly enough, there was a couple behind me that had four kittens that almost looked like the rest of litter from the kitten we had! They lady told me they were dumped in their neighborhood, and I wonder if that's how the one we had showed up. I didn't ask where they lived, but it seems to be the trend around here...despite the fact that ACS will accept them!

I am glad this is over, I didn't want to dump it at UTSA and hopefully being a kitten it will have a chance to be adopted by someone who wants it.

By the way, ACS has a Mobile Spay Neuter Clinic that it takes around the city and performs those services for free! As such, there is no reason why these animals should be breeding if their litters are unwanted!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, this was quite the saga; but I am glad it's over with!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
Glad you found a place that would take it! One place we lived years ago, folks dumped 'em all the time. When we ran out of places to take them, I finally hung out a sign: "Animals dumped here will be shot - and so will YOU if I see you!" They stopped dumping them - but I have a feeling that if I hung one like that out today, John Law would be paying me a visit.....

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,929 times
sapaws.com article on the spring kitten explosion:

Pet Project: Purrs aplenty filling shelters this season (http://www.sapaws.com/Pet_Project_Purrs_aplenty_filling_shelters_this_se ason_95376459.html - broken link)

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 AM

272 posts, read 559,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Um, someone dumped it on HIM. He's looking for somewhere/someone to take the cat. Get off your high horse and take the cat yourself if you're so damn concerned about it.

And, WHAT suggestion did you have for the OP? NOTHING.
As the saying goes two wrongs don't make a right. Dumping the animal in a different the location is only relocating the problem, not solving it. I am simply informing him and actually in an earlier post I told him SCAT was full.....
He really wants to get rid of the kitten find a friend that lives in another bordering town like Schertz, NB, or Bulverde and take it to their animal control.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,687,049 times
BTW, the S. A. mobile spay/neuter thing is NOT free unless you qualify under certain criteria...I've been to their website before. Mostly for people on government assistance, they can get it free.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM

186 posts, read 305,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Glad you found a place that would take it! One place we lived years ago, folks dumped 'em all the time. When we ran out of places to take them, I finally hung out a sign: "Animals dumped here will be shot - and so will YOU if I see you!" They stopped dumping them - but I have a feeling that if I hung one like that out today, John Law would be paying me a visit.....
The most detached and heartless animal handling methods I've witnessed was in Woodland, Ca. where the animal shelter was run by jail inmates. This is the only shelter I've seen that had a 24/7 drive thru drop off...you just pull up to this bank of animal lockers, stuff the creature in the locker and drive off...no muss, no fuss...totally apalling. What was even worse was their method of euthnasia...they'd seal off the holding area and use a running truck with a hose attached to the tailpipe and gas them. Their claim was that it was less expensive than humane euthanasia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio