U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 AM

734 posts, read 2,095,483 times

Advertisements

I have lived in four very different locations: Southern California, Utah, Arizona and here. I have also traveled to many of the larger cities in the US.

I think service as a whole is a problem in the US. I found much worse service in SoCal than here. I do like that when you find a place you like here, it has a small town feel - you get good service and you feel like a valued customer. I personally try to avoid chains and franchises - esp for things like car service, copies, hair cutters etc. They have more vested interest in their customers it seems. Although I do prefer Starbucks after trying several locally ran coffee shops!

Miriam - Have you ever considered being a mystery shopper? I was one for a while and it seems you have the attention to detail they are looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 AM

10,709 posts, read 9,582,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamflores View Post
I am not from here originally. I've had the oppotunity to travel and live in other places and can't help but noticing that there's a serious work ethic lacking in San Antonio. What is it? Why can't I find a decent dry cleaner or car wash? Why are people in customer service so lazy and mean? Why do schools mess up financial aid and lose transcripts? Why can't vendors meet deadlines or get orders right? Why is there no accountability anywhere?

No offense, but a lot of people here don't seem to take any pride in their work nor do they care whether it's done correctly.

I am not alone in this observation, as several of my friends- both natives and non-natives of San Antonio- have expressed the same frustration.

How does anyone stay in business here depending on employees or vendors that are such slackers? Is it the low wages here that make people just not care?

I am by no means perfect. I certainly don't think that my standards are all that high to begin with, but COME ON! This is ridiculous!

i think that folks here are super-friendly and appreciate that they speak and understand english. i think that the low wages here at service industries influence the quality of the service. In other places, some fast food restaurants as an example pay their employees some darn good wages. as a result, the service is stellar. when you go to places where there are low wages and less qualified people, the result is that you get poor service.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM

369 posts, read 533,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Wow...see, I would say the exact opposite. When we lived in Chicago, I felt that just about every place that should have been customer oriented wasn't. ....
Hi there,

I'm with ya on this one.

Flipside is relevant also.

Not everyone who is in a job which provides a service is necessarily having a good day, or even a mediocre day, or even likes their job, or even can stand one more bad attitude customer that day.

It takes all kinds and even while I had a couple years of really being baffled by the total lack of decency in Chicago and the burbs by *some* not all, some employees who deal with you as a customer I went to anger, apathy and now acceptance. It just is. There is also the ungracious or ugly customer and I'd just as soon not be one of those. *said with a smile*

Gen

Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 PM

52 posts, read 257,901 times
I don't believe what you are witnessing is a problem in just San Antonio. I live in what should be the customer service capital of the world and I see it all the time. When I worked on the strip I felt the CS was lacking, unless you as a customer were spending alot of money. I see it all the time in the local restaraunts and stores. I think its a combination of things, poor managment, low wages, and I sometimes think that alot of people nowadays have no personal pride in their work.

I don't expect stellar CS from someone in a minimum wage job. What I do expect, no matter your pay or what a crappy job you may have, is to be treated the same way you want to be treated. Then again I think that is a problem with society in general today, no respect for others. It's like everyone has forgotten the "Golden Rule". And no, I don't mean he who has the gold makes the rules.

I also notice a great many CS problems stem from the fact that many kids out of high school have somehow gotten the idea that they should enter the work force making $50,000+/year. When they then get out into the "real" world and realize they start out at 1/3 of that they get upset, and their unhappiness with the way things are spills over into the service the customer gets. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,163,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamflores View Post
Wow, what a variety of responses!

As for the comment about there not being a "demand for dry cleaners here"- um, have you noticed that this is a military town? Servicemembers' uniforms require a great deal of attention to detail (some services requiring more than others)! You almost can't get that here. If someone knows WHERE please tell me. Thanks.
I know where! The BEST Dry Cleaners and Alterations for military I've found is at Kim's Alterations and Cleaning @1155 Harry Wurzbach....just a stone's throw from Ft Sam. She specializes in military, and if you go in with just regular laundry, you will be in a line with many armed forces personnel waiting for their gear, alterations or cleaning. She has racks and racks of military alteration waiting to be picked up. She's also very quick with her turn around and is impeccable with her attention to detail.

Silly me took a bedspread that needed altering there and I stood out like a sore thumb.....BUT...I knew she would do an excellent job....and she did! She's also not expensive. She's found her niche and she caters to her customers and keeps them happy.

There may be other military "cleaners" near other military installations, but Kim's is the only one I know of personally. I would drive clear across town to give her my business.

Other's that are detail oriented......Culpepper's on Broadway...but they are not cheap. They do a nice box and fold service for men's shirts if you like that.

Kraft Cleaners on St. Mary's has a reputation for doing exotic and specialty work.....wedding gowns and the Fiesta garb and gowns. Fair warning....the elderly Mrs K is pretty salty and is very "proud" of their reputation for doing the laundry of SA's local celebs and high end clients. Again...silly me had moved from the far North Side where I was used to dropping off and picking up dry cleaning the same day. I was employed near Krafts at the time and thought it would be convenient to "drop off" my clothes and pick them up that afternoon. When I went in to pick them up, Mrs K read me the riot act....and WHO does cleaning in one day???? I was shocked at her rudeness, let alone creating a scene in front of other customers. She told me that it would be at least a week and all her customers pick out a weeks worth of clothing in advance to wear and drop off what they aren't wearing. She then advised me that their "staff" handled it....and then listed off a bunch of names of her prominent customers! Talk about BAD customer service from the other direction! Some of her family members tried to calm her down, and they ended up finding my (still dirty) laundry and gave it back!
Honestly, that was one of the most extreme cases of rudeness I have ever experienced. A dry cleaner SNOB! Not to mention it was hotter than hades and they had mangy cats lounging around on the counters and entry.
I'm a cat lover, but not crazy about them being around my dry cleaning!

I would love to know if anyone ever had a similar experience there to reassure me I'm not crazy!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM

8,761 posts, read 18,178,658 times
Quote:
I also notice a great many CS problems stem from the fact that many kids out of high school have somehow gotten the idea that they should enter the work force making $50,000+/year. When they then get out into the "real" world and realize they start out at 1/3 of that they get upset, and their unhappiness with the way things are spills over into the service the customer gets. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Yeah, 'entitlement' is an issue in the US these days, almost to the point of amusing...I suspect that has a lot to do with CS workers attitude.

On the flip side, I have seen the attitude from customers toward employees to also be appalling. After spending possible years listening to multitudes of arrogant customers, I can hardly blame some people for having a bad attitude in the CS industry.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Wow, I've never had an experience like that at Kraft's! However, I mostly take my more exotic stuff there - dresses with heavy detail work, suede, leather, delicate lace, that sort of thing. I don't expect same day service on that sort of stuff, so I guess they've never had the need to inform me otherwise. Generally they're perfectly nice, and my special orders have always been well done.

Perhaps the lady suffers from dementia or some other affliction, and you were the unfortunate victim of one of her more out of it moments.

For my regular cleaning needs I use Culpepper. However, I'm not sure that they do same day service either. Generally I drop it off on Monday and pick it up a few days later. I'm just not a fan of same day dry cleaning - I worry that they do a very haphazard, cursory job on the garments. I'd rather give Culpepper the time to do it nicely. However, I have used a same-day cleaner near my office in Stone Oak when I had a clothing emergency (three berry smoothie + white pants = DISASTER), and they did a good enough job considering the state of the pants and the time constraints.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM

343 posts, read 1,054,354 times
Hello again,

Wish I could give you the name of a good dry cleaner but being one of those "Little People" CS representatives for many years, I never could AFFORD to have anything dry cleaned.

Life is hard everywhere, but when you work so hard and see no way out and people come in with a sourpuss face expecting "precision" , "excellent service (without even a hint of a gratuity)", and a laughing, smiling, happy attitude even though you have been working for 8 hours already at ANOTHER job just to pay your bills, sorry I lost where I was going with this.

The whole feeling of being well taken care of comes from the customer himself. People who have worked in the CS industry are more sympathetic about the problems which I have described. It IS HARD making it on a CS salary. I spent years digging for change just to fill up the gas tank. If you have NEVER been in that situation where you would be homeless if your next paycheck bounces, then how can you possibly relate to the person behind the cash register.

A little empathy goes a long way.

It seems to me from your second post when you mention that you "do not have a lot of time" that you may be rushing these transactions and expecting $1000.00 service for a $5.00 bill.

There are customer service nightmares in every city in America, it is no more prevalent in SA than in Chicago.

Find the places that you like (a good place to start is right here) and exclusively use them. Reward good CS with your business. If you recieve lousy service, mention it POLITELY to the manager. It is not that difficult, it is just life.

I wish I had your problems right now.

crazedchef
Live from baghdad

Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,163,358 times
Crazed Chef....you make a good point about being on the other side. My daughter is putting herself through college and works very hard on the side at a nice restaurant. She has told me some doozies.....but then she said, it's amazing what a smile can do on either end. I think of her when I'm making some transaction with someone who's been on their feet all day, or working in a hot or unpleasant atmosphere. I don't wait for them to ask how I'm doing.....I try to set the pace and be friendly....... generally I find a smile at the end. If it doesn't happen, then I let it go.

Rockin....lol....well, I was clueless about Krafts reputation for doing uppity duds! And yes, Mrs K was up in years....God bless her, she was feisty and right smack in the the middle of things. She set me straight about who SHE wanted to do business with! I was on a tight budget and tighter schedule...I certainly didn't plan my whole wardrobe a week in advance and didn't have the "help" deliver it.......I didn't have time or money for her either! As I mentioned, the other employees/family members seemed to be a bit unsettled with her behavior. I still never went back.....not even when my financial situation improved. I'm happy with Culpeppers....and they will do a rush for an extra fee. I also like that little Slater Whites on the corner of Broadway and Nac.....Gary there is always very kind and polite.....and they do everything on the premises in the same day. No complaints from me there!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,442,961 times
I use Oak Park Cleaners in Olmos Park. The ladies are always friendly, and cheerful. Even on days when I go in after work looking frazzeled and not in a good mood, they put me into a better mood.
I've never used one day or one hour service. But they are always on time and do a great job.
The best part is the ladies who work there( and one man) are always pleasant and know thier stuff.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 06-18-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio