Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 72,289 times

Advertisements

sounds like my type of place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 72,289 times
what are some good apartments here?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 53,925 times
Why do you live in texas? And what do you think i should know about texas before moving there? Any input would be appreciated

Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
1. Can you get a decent job ?
2. Can you afford the housing?
3. Can you find a good neighborhood?
4. Can you find good schools (if relevant to you)?
5. Can you adapt to the culture?
6. Can you adapt to the climate?

I know NY folks who live in some of the upscale enclaves and are paralyzed by the rest of Texas. They scuttle from their house to work and Central Market.

Others find things they like in terms of the outdoors, etc.

Those are the issues. I got a good job and can adapt to the culture. If you can't it would be hard.

For example, NY is a fairly liberal state in most urban parts. Not so in TX. TX is a gun culture state - NY isn't. Saw a guy at work have a tantrum that you could get a carry license in TX. Blah, blah. He left after a year or so. On the other hand, I've seen urban Eastern folks want to go to the range.

San Antonio is flexible for most life styles.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
1. Can you get a decent job ?
2. Can you afford the housing?
3. Can you find a good neighborhood?
4. Can you find good schools (if relevant to you)?
5. Can you adapt to the culture?
6. Can you adapt to the climate?

I know NY folks who live in some of the upscale enclaves and are paralyzed by the rest of Texas. They scuttle from their house to work and Central Market.

Others find things they like in terms of the outdoors, etc.

Those are the issues. I got a good job and can adapt to the culture. If you can't it would be hard.

For example, NY is a fairly liberal state in most urban parts. Not so in TX. TX is a gun culture state - NY isn't. Saw a guy at work have a tantrum that you could get a carry license in TX. Blah, blah. He left after a year or so. On the other hand, I've seen urban Eastern folks want to go to the range.

San Antonio is flexible for most life styles.

Thanks so much for your input. Yes, I believe my husband and I can get very good jobs. Im a nurse and he's a truck driver. So that Im not worried too much about. Just worried if I will have culture shock like most people say I might have. Does anyone know any one that moved from the northeast to Texas and they had a total culture shock and wanted to run back from where they came from?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesp View Post
Thanks so much for your input. Yes, I believe my husband and I can get very good jobs. Im a nurse and he's a truck driver. So that Im not worried too much about. Just worried if I will have culture shock like most people say I might have. Does anyone know any one that moved from the northeast to Texas and they had a total culture shock and wanted to run back from where they came from?

I've been here for years now (sob sob) and would move back to the northeast in a heartbeat. Texas is and will never be my cup of tea. Unfortunately, Texas also seems to be like the mafia. It will let you in, but never let you out.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnairp11 View Post
Is hollywood park a good place to liVe?

Might also look at Deerfield,Bluffview Estates and Hidden Forest all are in that same area just inside 1604 and are also nice.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesp View Post
Does anyone know any one that moved from the northeast to Texas and they had a total culture shock and wanted to run back from where they came from?
I, too, came from the Northeast...moved from Boston to McAllen (border of Texas-Mexico). Total culture shock. Had I moved directly to San Antonio, it would still have been a shock, but not quite as much. STILL have not acclimated to the heat (after almost 24 years!!). I would truly love to move back to the Northeast eventually, but the cost of housing is pretty steep.

We have come to love San Antonio, our children were born and raised here. But, yes, you will be in for a bit of change

Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I, too, came from the Northeast...moved from Boston to McAllen (border of Texas-Mexico). Total culture shock. Had I moved directly to San Antonio, it would still have been a shock, but not quite as much. STILL have not acclimated to the heat (after almost 24 years!!). I would truly love to move back to the Northeast eventually, but the cost of housing is pretty steep.

We have come to love San Antonio, our children were born and raised here. But, yes, you will be in for a bit of change
Thank you for your info!!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Pobre and Culture Shock in Texas ,

After moving from San Antonio to the northeastern part of the U.S. I had the same kind of culture shock as you did upon moving here from the northeast,pobre, except the reverse.
South Texas to Yankee culture shock circa 1970's. The little town where I landed had only one Mexican Restaurant. It wasn't very good, either.
I arrived just in time for the snow blizzard of 1978. 26 inches fell with snow drifts so high from the winds
I could only see the radio antennae of the car the next morning. The entire car was obscured by a drift.
We opened the garage door and began to shovel our way out, the front and back house doors being completely blocked with snow. I remember keeping my mouth closed because it was so cold that my front teeth would ache from the cold.
The stores in town all closed up shop at 5:00 p.m. There was a K-Mart open late but for specialty items forget it..
Everyone spoke with a very nasally style of enunciation of words.
Sox was pronounced as Saahx for instance.
Dollar was pronounced Daahler.
Garage was a graahge . Those are only for instances and there were a lot of them. Talk about feeling out of place.
I was looked upon as a whiz in my college spanish class. The culture shock was then everyone else's.
That culture shock stuff was quite the experience. I did not quite to know what to make of it at the time.
I distinctly remember thinking , man this sure, is different from back home.
Good people though, up there in the Northern U.S. I retired from up there. No complaints.
Better here... than there I say, well, wait ... in all honesty, summers are, better up
north but not worth enduring their winters for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio