U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM

60 posts, read 289,392 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from SA and we last lived there in 1996. Man...it's changed SO much since then. We were there visiting family last summer and were amazed at the growth! Especially north of 1604. There wasn't much out that way in 1996 except a few housing areas out 281.

So of course like everyone else we want a good area, good schools. I've read and read and read a lot of the threads here and combined with what I know already I know that we want neisd or nisd or ahisd for schools. We used to live in Terrill hills back in the 80's. Bought our first home there for a whopping $45,000!!! Wish we would have held on to it.

Here's my issue. I have my own business and this will be my 4th time restarting it in a new place (husband is military). This will be our final move since he will be retiring from the military in 3 years. I want to live in/near a high end area because that is my target market. I love the old homes and character in Alamo Heights/Terrill Hills but I don't like the prices. I'd love to stay between $180,000-$225,000. We need a 4 bedroom since we have 4 kids.

Is there any certain housing divisions that you know of that do NOT allow home businesses? I know I will need to check but if anyone knows of any off hand that would help to narrow down my search. I will want to start out in my home (again) but will eventually move to a retail space (I do photography).

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 AM

556 posts, read 503,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2sa View Post
Here's my issue. I have my own business and this will be my 4th time restarting it in a new place (husband is military). This will be our final move since he will be retiring from the military in 3 years. I want to live in/near a high end area because that is my target market. I love the old homes and character in Alamo Heights/Terrill Hills but I don't like the prices. I'd love to stay between $180,000-$225,000. We need a 4 bedroom since we have 4 kids.

You might get an apartment over someones garage in AH or TH for that amount

Old 06-18-2007, 12:53 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,798 times
You could try Northwood. Though it would be at the upper-end of the spectrum. I would also suggest looking at Windcrest. Both areas are in NEISD, some of Northwood is also in Woodridge-AHISD

Old 06-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
You might get an apartment over someones garage in AH or TH for that amount
Yes for that amount that's about what I could afford in that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You could try Northwood. Though it would be at the upper-end of the spectrum. I would also suggest looking at Windcrest. Both areas are in NEISD, some of Northwood is also in Woodridge-AHISD
Where is Northwood?

Windcrest...I remember it as an area with a lot of *older* people. Nice houses though back then. I would think that with Windcrest being so close to Walzem that Roosevelt would be the high school for that area, right? Not crazy about the whole Walzem area.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Quote:
Yes for that amount that's about what I could afford in that area!

Where is Northwood?

Windcrest...I remember it as an area with a lot of *older* people. Nice houses though back then. I would think that with Windcrest being so close to Walzem that Roosevelt would be the high school for that area, right? Not crazy about the whole Walzem area.
Welcome back to SA! I had this same experience about 11 years ago after marrying and living in Dallas for 19 years. Even since I moved back the whole dynamics of SA has changed. It's becoming much more fast paced than that good old laid back, take it easy atmosphere. Those two world are crashing together with all the growth and it's not always pretty!.....but SA's foundation still hasn't changed.....still lovely and comfy.

Northwoods is that wonderful area just inside 410 between Nacogdoches and Harry Wurzbach. Part of it is in AH school Distrist and part feeds into MacArthur. (BTW - the big four original NE highschools have undergone major rebuilding and additions! You wouldn't recognized MacArthur....it's beautiful and all of them are getting cutting edge supplies, equipments and facilities.)

Just north of loop 410 in that same area....between Perrin Beitel and Nacogdoches is still MacArthur High School District. Some of it is MacArthur Park and some is Forest Oaks and Mary Mont. Forest Oaks has some lovely older homes with huge lots and comfy houses for big families.

Those great older areas will be where you get the most house for your money. Newer construction will get you less....but it depends on what's important to you.

Some other areas.....Thousand Oaks - MacArthur, Brookhollow - MacArthur,
Churchill Estates - Churchill.....lots of good solid older neighborhoods in established neighborhoods with great trees, roomy homes.

I understand where you are coming from regarding Roosevelt. My alma mater from the 70's! It's not the same place and lots of problems in the student population. It's too bad too....I'm in the process of staging a home in Windcrest that's 4 brs and on the golfcourse....and well within your price range. But Windcrest is definitely becoming a retirement haven for our military vets. Being it's own municipality, has sort of kept it in a time capsule.
I actually found the city of Windcrest was listed among the top 100 cities in the COUNTRY with the oldest population! And I can believe it too.....so many of my friends parents still live there, including my own mother!

BTW - the house I mentioned is NOT my listing. I'm not a real estate agent and would not get a penny from it selling. I just mentioned it as a sort of "too bad it could be perfect for you!". The price is right, and you'd even have money for some upgrades!

Regarding the NW side of SA and the far South Side.....and Schertz/Cibalo.....I have to yeild to other's wisdom. Those areas have grown too fast for me to keep up with! (and far far North on the county line!)

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the info wCat!

I have 4 teenagers...all in high school...so the high school they go to is another factor. I actually have one child that is hearing impaired and I know that for NEISD MacArther is the school with the hearing impaired program so no matter where we live (in that district) that's the school that he would go to. Would be nice to keep them all in the same district.

That area around Perrin Beitel and Nacogdoches...trying to remember...is that around where Midnight Rodeo is (or was...not sure if it's still there)?

It's been so long since I've actually driven much of SA. When we come to town (every 1-2 years) to visit family we're out in Universal City or Alamo Heights where our family lives.

Yeah...I graduated from Judson in the 80's and from what I hear it's definitely not what it used to be.

My dad still lives in Universal City and was complaining yesterday about how much things are still growing and growing. He's wanting to buy land out in the Hill Country to retire to one day but what used to go for $1000 an acre is now going for $5000 an acre. I told him he needed to hurry up and buy it before it gets higher.

Back to my issue...with 4 teenagers all graduating within the next 4 years I'm still trying to figure out if I want a big home or if I want to make them suffer and share rooms since we won't need a big house in a few years. Would save $$$ if I could get a 3 bedroom instead of a 4 or 5 bedroom.

decisions, decisons.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info wCat!

That area around Perrin Beitel and Nacogdoches...trying to remember...is that around where Midnight Rodeo is (or was...not sure if it's still there)?

No...Midnight Rodeo is up at Thousand Oaks and Perrin Beitel (Actually Perrin Beitel become Nacogdoches at that Thousand Oaks intersection.)

The area I'm talking about it just North of loop 410 and Alamo Heights. The homes near Perrin Beitel and smaller and part of that area is a declining tract home area. It might be more accurate to describe the area I'm talking about as being between Starcrest and Nacogdoches and North of Loop 410. I think the zip in that area is 78217 if you want to check it out on http://www.realtor.com.

Brookhollow zip is 78232 and 78247.......You'll find a lot of houses in the MacArthur district in your price range in those zip codes.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,644,194 times
Quote:
Not crazy about the whole Walzem area.
Things are changing in a hurry though. Rackspace will now build their new HQ on the Windsor Park Mall site (the entire site), Windcrest is vastly closing in on their new Town Center, heck, it may be nothing but a Starbucks just opened up along Walzem.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,644,194 times
Back2SA, Northwood or Oak Park would be perfect for you. It's a quick drive down Broadway to Terrell Hills and Alamo Heights, your main high school would be Macarthur and 180-225k can buy you nicely.

For example:

Northwood

Old 06-18-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks! I like that second one. I'll have to look into it. I'm hoping to come into town this fall for a 3-4 day trip so I'll be able to drive around and get an idea on what the area is like now.

So is Windsor Park Mall no longer a mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or