U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 PM

7 posts, read 10,272 times

Advertisements

It only has an NBA team when it could certainly have a team in MLB, NFL or the NHL as well. St. Louis, Seattle, Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, San Francisco, and now Dallas are all smaller than San Antonio and they all have major league teams in more than one sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 AM

7,691 posts, read 8,161,084 times
I dont see much support for an MLB team here. I think we could sustain an NFL team, but I seem to recall that the Alamodome would need massive renovation to suit a team as I am not sure the taxpayers would foot the bill for another stadium.

As a rabid NHL fan, let me just say no to that right now. There are enough struggling teams in the southern U.S. and there are several more suitable places anxious to get teams should one of the southern teams finally bite the bullet and relocate.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 AM

1,220 posts, read 782,672 times
Hawke...just out of curiosity, is loop 1604 currently in a seeming perpetual cone zone?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 AM

3,158 posts, read 5,203,654 times
San Antonio's DMA rank is #37, and that number is much more critical to a pro sports franchise than the population contained within the corporate city limits of San Antonio.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 AM

867 posts, read 2,618,456 times
Population isn't by any means the only metric used to determine if a pro sports team is viable in a given city. Other metrics include, per capita/household income, size of the media market (as ged_782 has stated), projected area growth, ethnic/racial background, educational attainment of the population, etc. San Antonio is weak on several of those.

Also, San Antonio is overwhelmingly Hispanic (Mexican-American) and there is the perception that as an ethnic group they are only interested in some sports vastly more than others (i.e. soccer) and that they are an education/income weak group. I'm not saying that I agree with or hold that perception myself.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM

199 posts, read 626,329 times
There was hope about 3-4 years ago about getting the Florida Marlins to move here, you can search the boards for that discussion. SA had good buzz after being the good guy in the H. Katrina aftermath, and we were in the spotlight. They were talking about locations, possibly Retama Park so it would be easy access to Austin and SA, but the idea was eventually turned down by the Florida owners because they got what they wanted from the city of Miami, a new ballpark. Would LOVE to have MLB here! :-)

Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,031,723 times
The main reason there's not an NFL team in San Antonio is that the Dallas and Houson franchises wouldn't allow it. It would take away some of their audience. Houston wouldn't allow an MLB team here.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,191,844 times
I really wanted the Saints to move to San Antonio, but I love New Orleans and Louisiana and I think it was a solid decision to leave them in NOLA.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 8,679,065 times
We can hardly sustain the rampage (AHL?) as it is. The Missions (AAA?) are so-so and we had a failed Canadian football league team in the mid 90s that tanked. And two mayors ago we had a major push for a MLS team. It was a messss. So, we've tried all of the above.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,429,035 times
Well our past city leaders did not care about other sports, i am still angry at Henry Cisenros for making the alamodome unable to use for baseball. Bonehead move on his part, and also it upsetting that everyone here is a cowboys fan. Jerry Jones does not care about SA having a team, he just wants your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio