Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

You've got to be freakin' kidding me!

Quote:
A nationwide alert has been issued for 17 members of the Afghan military who have gone AWOL from a Texas Air Force base where foreign military officers who are training to become pilots are taught English, FoxNews.com has learned...

The Afghans were attending the Defense Language Institute at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. The DLI program teaches English to military pilot candidates and other air force prospects from foreign countries allied with the U.S.

"I can confirm that 17 have gone missing from the Defense Language Institute," said Gary Emery, Chief of Public Affairs, 37th Training Wing, at Lackland AFB. "They disappeared over the course of the last two years, and none in the last three months." (Full Story)
The concern is that these Afghans were issued DoD ID cards, meaning they could possibly try to gain access to other military installations.

I just wonder why this has been going on for two years, and no mention of it in the local news. That might've helped in locating a few of these individuals before they've had at least a three-month head start!

Not that it matters much, but a list of these missing Afghans can be found here.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Why was this not a front page headline in the Express News?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,920 times
Lovely...i hope this doesnt turn out like the mess that occurred in Ft.Hood

Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Well, if I run across them and they aren't friendly it will be headlines in the mornin'! Last I checked, Afghan military were our allies, but ya never know with the wacky insurgency.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
what a freaking fiasco. And over 2 years. Really????? Aren't we all glad we live by Lackland

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default That's right,

They are allies, maybe they just want out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Well, if I run across them and they aren't friendly it will be headlines in the mornin'! Last I checked, Afghan military were our allies, but ya never know with the wacky insurgency.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
This is beyond belief! Not so much that 17 Afghan military personnel are missing, but that this has been going on for 2 years! They are only our allies out of necessity as we want to train them to take over the fight when we pull out of Afghanistan and that reeks of "vietnamization". It didn't work then and it won't work this time. These 17 should be treated as missing terrorists until found and deported.

Here is a senior DOD officials flippant reply to the missing 17 Afghans:

"A senior Defense Department official in Washington told Fox News he had no direct knowledge of the 17 men being AWOL."

"The official added that this is not the first time foreign trainees have gone missing, and said some cases in the past have turned out to be more of an immigration concern than a national security threat."

17 Afghan Military listed as AWOL from Texas U.S. Air Force Base - War On Terror News

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 PM

374 posts, read 982,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
Lovely...i hope this doesnt turn out like the mess that occurred in Ft.Hood
No, more likely 9/11 with fighters equipped with bombs and/or missiles. It's just like the Zetas. We give them SF training and they use it against us. When will we learn!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
What about the thousand other immigrants that go missing in this country every year?

Notworried.jpg

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
I did get an official BOLO on these individuals this morning, it includes "wanted posters" with pictures of each of the Afghans on them but the document is classified as "law enforcement sensitive" so I cannot post it here.

If a releasable to the public version is issued, as hopefully will happen soon; I will post it up.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio