U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been reading through relevant topics but still not at ease and was wanting to get more opinions on this topic. I've interviewed with USAA recently and looks like I will be getting an offer really soon. I currently work for a great company but just not in my ideal location. My Significant Other will also be relocating with me so I want to be sure I am making the right choice. After reading jobvent.com and indeed.com, I am really iffy about accepting the job offer. I had a chance to check out San Antonio and Austin and I do like the area and feel that I could live and work there. Problem is, job security. I don't want to feel threaten that I will lose my job every day and I don't want to give up my current job to downgrade to something that I will be miserable doing.

The position is very similar to what I am currently doing in IT. I'm expecting a pay increase but will it outweigh the stress and 'military micromanagement' image that the company currently adorn?

Can someone give me some insight on how the IT department is at USAA?

What is a work week schedule like?

Flexible Work Arrangement, such as 4 day work week or taking time off at random times?

How are the people and work ethics? Dependable? Team Player?

These are just the few questions I have. Making a big move to a better location is just scary for me and I want to be sure I don't packed up everything I have here to relocate to a company that I might hate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM

420 posts, read 1,013,912 times
I am not sure of IT at USAA but I know in general they have been known to lay off large numbers of people and rehire people for the same jobs by posting them with minor job description changes. We had one friend that has been laid off and rehired by them 3 times in the last 10 years. I think this type of behavior is more for the lower workers than higher end people.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 PM

592 posts, read 1,831,298 times
I do not know anyone to like working for USAA. The pay and benefits are good.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,825 times
You bid for your days off a year in advance. Have fun planning time off.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 AM

968 posts, read 2,185,459 times
i've had a friend who was hired and fired the same way in IT, if you're looking at USAA for IT, don't look at it as a permanent job.

it was explained to me that they lay off large numbers of people (including the IT people WITH degrees and certifications) so they can keep the benefits as excellent as they are. it was ranked as one of the top places to work, but don't expect to get tenure there.

the longer they keep people, the hire their pay goes, and they would rather provide awesome benefits rather than increase pay. its a logical argument, but not a very pro-personnel one.

that same friend moved to AT&T downtown and has been getting the same pay with almost the same awesome benefits for a while now (read: he didn't get laid off) they just dont' have the starbucks, chick-fil-a, gym, and running track on campus like USAA does.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
Ive had several friends work there and all but one absolutely hated it. Most of them held middle management type roles and did not like being what they referred to as micromanaged and the feeling of every move being constantly scrutinized. They all said the pay and benefits were excellent but the lack of job security and atmosphere was not worth it to them. My friend who does enjoy it there, actually works from home so that might explain why. She does get pretty nice raises every year and she believes her words, "they take care of their employees." (I just had this conversation w her this past wknd) Personally I have never even applied there because I have absolutely no interest in working in that kind of environment and I probably dont have the skillz they are looking for anyways. I imagine everyone's experience will be different. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,825 times
Have you looked at Rackspace?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,843 times
Sounds so discouraging. Most of the companies in Texas aren't looking to relocate any employees since they have an abundance of resources down there. I have work experience and industry experience and they are willing to offer a pretty decent salary plus relocation to get me down there. I'm still leaning towards accepting the offer, and worst case scenario, I will be job hunting again in a year. I am just hoping it won't be as bad as it sounds. I still have time to decide since I haven't receive the offer yet so keep the comments coming please and thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Bear in mind that USAA is military-focussed, and as such that bleeds over into their business dealings. I have a number of friends that are long-term employees, and as many that are ex-employees. Both are happy in their decisions. Like any other large company, it's going to have its' good and bad points - but if they're offering you something of interest, the worst that can happen is a new experience!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM

898 posts, read 1,243,743 times
I had a phone interview with USAA once. They asked me some technical questions, then asked me, "Are you willing to work overtime?". I said sure, I know how it is in I.T., you have to be willing to stay late sometimes to put out brush fires, etc.
So then they asked me a few more technical questions, followed by, "And you're ok with working overtime?". I said, well yeah like I said that's part of I.T., sometimes you have to stay late.
A few more technical questions, then, "So, you're ok with overtime".
At this point I said, you know what guys, maybe this won't be a good fit after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio